Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Who said we were world champions?

Well we were drawing 1-1 with the wc finalists and your suggesting we are out of our depth. What score would mean we are not out of our depth. What half time result and performance would satisfy you. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Well we were drawing 1-1 with the wc finalists and your suggesting we are out of our depth. What score would mean we are not out of our depth. What half time result and performance would satisfy you. 

We got 1 goal, they had 71% possession, toyed with us all over the park, we are miles out of our depth and one brave heart performance against England won’t cover that facts. 

In the last 5 games of this particular tournament, we’ve scored 2 goals. 

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

yep. He has to go. 

He deserves another go but he's got to play to our strengths. We've spent another 90 minutes launching the ball upto that big wooden plank like it's 1976, it's diabolical.

Nisbet better than Dykes.

Most better than Dykes.

Stephen Dobbie better than Dykes (still!!)

Just now, Mox said:

He deserves another go but he's got to play to our strengths. We've spent another 90 minutes launching the ball upto that big wooden plank like it's 1976, it's diabolical.

He really doesn’t. He has cost us any chance of Qatar. 

Guest ElChris04

I just don’t get how it’s taking so long for substitutes yet again when we are goals down. Croatia bringing on Rebic when they’re 3-1 up, but we wait to the 83rd minute to finally change something when we’re the losing team? I just don’t get it at all. 

It’s beyond disappointing. 

Just now, ElChris04 said:

I just don’t get how it’s taking so long for substitutes yet again when we are goals down. Croatia bringing on Rebic when they’re 3-1 up, but we wait to the 83rd minute to finally change something when we’re the losing team? I just don’t get it at all. 

Absolutely 

7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Clarke does know we are out if we don't win today? 

Our tactics have honestly felt like we are a low end SPL side playing one of the OF and hoping we hold on to 80 minutes and then have a go and hope we get something.

Doesn't look like it. He's got us here fair enough, but seems this level he is out of his league. Two subs in 10 minutes for 3 goals  - genius Clarke, genius...

He is a league manager not a national manger for knockout competitions. Tactics totally wrong for 2 out of 3 games.

There's good building blocks for the world cup to work on and hopefully get a playoff.  Should have enough though to have a good tilt at the Euro qualification too next time.

For me the frustration here is we've been worked out and have no plan B.  We can't expect our 3 man midfield to cope when they're overloading to make it 5 - Israel worked this out months ago but better quality of players in this tournament have just given us an absolute lesson.  In the chasm between midfield and defence we were chasing shadows all night.  

Just now, ElChris04 said:

It's the fact that it was blindingly obvious the tide was turning back to them quite a few minutes before the 3rd goal

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Taking off Adams.😂

Horrible second half from Clarke I'm afraid.

It's been a horrible tournament from him, team selection, style of play, substitution, he's got everything wrong from the first minute of game 1.

Dreadful totally fucking embarrassment of a game

We got 1 goal, they had 71% possession, toyed with us all over the park, we are miles out of our depth and one brave heart performance against England won’t cover that facts. 

All I'd say to that is there's still been plenty of decent chances created, some nice switches of play that have lead to Dykes, Robbo, McGinn and a few others all having key chances at crucial points in the 3 games.

Simply not enough composure. I knew Modric would be hitting top corner when he was running onto that pass and that's the difference I'm afraid.

This team is capable of playing decent football in final third but too often the shot is scuffed or gives keeper too much of a chance to get a hand, McGregor strike is how you do it.

Other thing is considering the height in the back the defending from crosses has been very disapppointing, 1st goal v Czechs and two of the goals tonight. Also don't forget the Stones free header from the corner on Friday he should've scored so need to look at the zonal marking again as will cost goals in the qualifiers (given the trouble the big Austrian striker caused at Hampden).

Guest ElChris04
6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It's the fact that it was blindingly obvious the tide was turning back to them quite a few minutes before the 3rd goal

Yep this exactly, and it makes it all the more frustrating. Dykes along with Armstrong should have been took off very early into the second half. O’Donnell too, Waited to near the 70th minute to make our first sub and take Armstrong off. It’s just doesn’t make any sense. But all in all such a disappointing display. 

Edited by ElChris04

They are wc finalists, they were always going to dominate possession and create chances. Why were you expecting anything else. Its as if you have just realised Croatia are one of the best sides in the WORLD.  Do you follow football. Were you expecting us to dominate possesion and be 2-0 up at half time. They dominated the first half, we did quite well to create some chances and managed to score 1 but we were on the backfoot. That doesn't mean we are out of our depth at international level. It just means we are playing a top side. It's typical of this place. 

What half time result were you expecting? 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We’ve been well beaten by a better team. 

No more needs said. They've outclassed us in every department. Clarke isn't to blame, anyone blaming him is stupid. 

They dominated us and they have much much better players.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

World cups are a long shot nowadays.

Must be getting to the next euros though.

And we can't even hope for a Nations League back door again cos "unfortunately" we've now gone up a level in it so not a hope of winning League B...much more likely to finish last and go back down to C.