Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

23 minutes ago, ML1Scott said:

I'm really surprised you'd have been happy to see McGregor to be dropped. I thought he was incredible next to Gilmour on Friday night.

I didn't say "happy". McGregor and all the 11 players that started against England deserve to keep their spot. But, if Clarke was going to play a more attacking player, I'd rather it was for McGregor than Gilmour.

I'd have happily seen the same starting 11. But it's not to be. If I had to guess, I'd imagine it'll be Hendry reinstated and McTominay moved forward. But we are all almost always wrong. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not Fleck who could do a job next to McGregor and allow McGinn to run forward then I would move McTominay into midfield and bring back Cooper. Still think we need Fraser also as he has a decent hit rate maybe as a half time sub if it is still 0-0.

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Same team, but with Armstrong coming in for Gilmour. No point changing any other players positions, you’re just creating trouble doing that. 

Nonsense. Armstrong hasn't looked that good in first two games and we didn't score against England.No point in keeping the same type of team with one replacement if it can't score. Armstrong has had a couple of great chanced where the better option was laying off, one was deflected and the other was blocked - wasteful.

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Nonsense. Armstrong hasn't looked that good in first two games and we didn't score against England.No point in keeping the same type of team with one replacement if it can't score. Armstrong has had a couple of great chanced where the better option was laying off, one was deflected and the other was blocked - wasteful.

Nonsense. 

Armstrong has looked fine in both his games. And a far better player than anyone else that we can replace him with, Fleck isn’t good enough for us, Armstrong is. 

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Nonsense. 

Armstrong has looked fine in both his games. And a far better player than anyone else that we can replace him with, Fleck isn’t good enough for us, Armstrong is. 

Ok difference of opinion then. Frankly I don't care if Considine comes back as long as we win. 

17 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

Won't happen but I'd rather replace Gilmour with Turnbull , has an eye for a goal 

Always thought he was more of an out and out attacking player, but looking at his stats he can pass the ball and is prepared to see plenty of it so no reason why he couldn't play there.

Only problem is those are SPL stats and bringing him in for our most important game in decades is pretty high risk.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be Armstrong in for Gilmour. Probably would have been Fleck but I don’t think you can bring him in cold. 

McGinn will probably sit deeper to allow for this.  

McTominay is massive for us at centre back. And wasn’t great in midfield last week. 

Armstrong gives us a better first 11 but slightly less balanced. 

I always get the feeling Armstrong and McGinn don’t work well in the same team. Maybe wanting to play in the same parts of the pitch?

I must admit, I like the sound of Turnbull coming in for his goal threat but think Fleck is much more likely. I actually feel like this is the scenario where Clarke would have selected McLean had he been fit. And for that matter, Jack who would likely have been in ahead of McGregor - but he’s been out for so long I’d nearly forgot about him!

Season before lockdown Fleck was one of Sheffield United's best players,  always wanted the ball and scored  a few also

Last season he picked up form last half of the season. Think him and McGregor would work quite well. However he is coming in a bit cold to the tournament but would be a better balance than other options. 

Turnbull wasn't up to pace in the game against Holland. He gave the ball away 2 out of every 3 times he got it. He's one for the future, but there's no way Clarke's starting him against Croatia.

Like others have mentioned, I think Hendy will come in at the back and McT will shift to the middle, with Fraser to come on fairly early if we're still chasing a goal. 

Croatia need a win as well, so it could be quite an open game. I think that plays into our hands as we can break well with this formation that Clarke has implemented.

15 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Denmark showed tonight the difference a proper crowd makes.

Another small crowd rattling around they need to make themselves heard. 

I think Denmark are the template for us. Let's face it we've lost our best player but they lost theirs in far more serious circumstances and have worked together to get a fantastic result tonight. I hope Scotland can follow their example tomorrow.

Clarke is cautious, and usually changes very little.  I’d be amazed if he changes anything other than Gilmour, he will see it as too many changes from a successful performance against England. 

I hope he doesn’t put McGinn further back, as he is frankly a terrible player for us in that position, he needs to be the furthest forward of the three players. 

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I think Denmark are the template for us. Let's face it we've lost our best player but they lost theirs in far more serious circumstances and have worked together to get a fantastic result tonight. I hope Scotland can follow their example tomorrow.

That’s a really good point. 

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Clarke is cautious, and usually changes very little.  I’d be amazed if he changes anything other than Gilmour, he will see it as too many changes from a successful performance against England. 

I hope he doesn’t put McGinn further back, as he is frankly a terrible player for us in that position, he needs to be the furthest forward of the three players. 

Giving Gilmour a start against England blows the accusations of being cautious or too cautious out the window. 

This is the biggest game since when? It's bigger than Morocco in '98 and Switzerland in '96, both of which needed more thrown just a simple win from us. 

I'm So unbelievably excited. And nervous. Nervous more than anything. 

See youse at Hampden!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

7 hours ago, kumnio said:

The old Clarke is cautious point being rolled out again. It’s a lazy criticism. He’s been quite adventurous with several selections now (eg 3 youngsters selected in Euros squad, McTominay playing at the back, England team selection), I think we can get of his back with that now?