Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

We might be missing half a dozen close contacts... could be a makeshift team

Well at present he's the only one to have reported testing positive. Surely, the protocol would have been test all those in close contact with him immediately in which case it looks like they are all clear.

5 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Assuming Gilmour is the only positive case I'd hope Fleck would be the straight swap.

Not a huge Fleck fan but it's the replacement with the least disruption from Friday's game. McTominay at right centre-back improved us massively in that area so would like to see him remain there.

Yes the defence should remain as is and a midfielder brought in as a straight swap. Personally I'd go for Armstrong.

Apparently Croatia have a few injury problems. Gutted but swings and roundabouts. Agree with not moving McTom. Armstrong for me. Still need to play out of our skins.

Edited by sandyb

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well at present he's the only one to have reported testing positive. Surely, the protocol would have been test all those in close contact with him immediately in which case it looks like they are all clear.

suspect we want to limit the information being disclosed just now

11 minutes ago, sandyb said:

Apparently Croatia have a few injury problems. Gutted but swings and roundabouts. Agree with not moving McTom. Armstrong for me. Still need to play out of our skins.

Might be that Croatia get a boost when they hear this so let's hope they become complacent. Denmark came out like men possessed after Erikson's accident but we need to keep cool heads. We beat Serbia without BG and we beat Croatia before without him too.

McTominay into midfield for me and Hendry back in to RCB. McTominay played well there on Friday but always has a mistake in him and midfield is his best position. 

I've never seen anything from Fleck to convince me about starting him in a game like this and playing a more attacking midfielder in there (Armstrong or turnbull) changes the midfield completely and means we don't get the best out of mcginn. 

As others have said, losing Tierney on match day 1 was worse. But a psychological blow all the same. With all the hype surrounding him, the Croats will get a boost from this.

But let's not forget he wasn't even a first team player last week. We have a solid squad and we can do it without him. I'm sure of it.

1 thing we have missed this tournament is a player that can hit shots from distance, or hit a freekick. I would honestly be tempted to play Turnbull, at least off the bench. And maybe even start Christie.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

As others have said, losing Tierney on match day 1 was worse. But a psychological blow all the same. With all the hype surrounding him, the Croats will get a boost from this.

But let's not forget he wasn't even a first team player last week. We have a solid squad and we can do it without him. I'm sure of it.

1 thing we have missed this tournament is a player that can hit shots from distance, or hit a freekick. I would honestly be tempted to play Turnbull, at least off the bench. And maybe even start Christie.

Yes I fully agree.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I had been wondering if there was a place for Turnbull; probably  need McTom beside him though.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Could be that not having Gilmour on day one was worse than not having Tierney 

Just now, Third Lanark said:

I had been wondering if there was a place for Turnbull; probably  need McTom beside him though.

We were undone by a wonder strike against the Czechs. The game could have easily swung our way if it weren't for that goal. I'm not saying Turnbull could score a half-way goal, but he is certainly capable of moments of magic from distance. Very rarely misses the target, so Dykes or Adams could mop up a goalkeeper spillage from a Turnbull shot.

We have plenty of options.