Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id start the same team then change early 1st half if we haven't scored. I'm thinking Fraser and forest  to add some pace and direcr running at their defence. I thought Fraserburgh might of got 10 mins on Friday instead of Nisbet 

3 minutes ago, Jmcq said:

Id start the same team then change early 1st half if we haven't scored. I'm thinking Fraser and forest  to add some pace and direcr running at their defence. I thought Fraserburgh might of got 10 mins on Friday instead of Nisbet 

Aye, same team for me. Attack should be our focus.  All or nothing.

Apparently we've taken more shots than the Czechs, England and Croatia, but still haven't scored. I know we shouldn't be relying on luck, but we've had none in front of goal.  We've created more than enough chances to merit a goal, so a bit of luck would be nice. 

It's hard to criticise Dykes or Adams, because they've both played well, and both deserve a goal for their efforts. I hope it's not weighing on their minds, because it could affect their confidence.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Apparently we've taken more shots than the Czechs, England and Croatia, but still haven't scored. I know we shouldn't be relying on luck, but we've had none in front of goal.  We've created more than enough chances to merit a goal, so a bit of luck would be nice. 

It's hard to criticise Dykes or Adams, because they've both played well, and both deserve a goal for their efforts. I hope it's not weighing on their minds, because it could affect their confidence.

That's crazy. They weren't all pot-shots, either, most were half-chances and fully fledged chances.

So much for Steve Clarke being a defensive manager, like he's been mostly portrayed to be. I genuinely think that it's how dour demeanor that gives off the impression that he's a defensive and unwilling to experiment coach. It's just who he is.

Hopefully our luck chances on Tuesday. 

Same starting XI

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's crazy. They weren't all pot-shots, either, most were half-chances and fully fledged chances.

So much for Steve Clarke being a defensive manager, like he's been mostly portrayed to be. I genuinely think that it's how dour demeanor that gives off the impression that he's a defensive and unwilling to experiment coach. It's just who he is.

Same starting XI

Yeah, if it was just long distance speculative shots then you could ignore it, but it was all different types of chances. Robertson made 11 crosses alone. Every striker in this tournament would be envious of us having him. 

There are so many myths about Clarke. He is flexible, tactically astute and not stubborn. He's also his own man, so won't change anything based on fan or media pressure. And he's almost always right.

I'm not bothering to predict the 11 this time because we've all been wrong every time!

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, if it was just long distance speculative shots then you could ignore it, but it was all different types of chances. Robertson made 11 crosses alone. Every striker in this tournament would be envious of us having him. 

There are so many myths about Clarke. He is flexible, tactically astute and not stubborn. He's also his own man, so won't change anything based on fan or media pressure. And he's almost always right.

I'm not bothering to predict the 11 this time because we've all been wrong every time!

Very true. And the amount of shots we had blocked against the Czechs (do they even count?) Was insane 

Totally. He learned from brilliant coaches (Mourinho, Dalglish... and Gullit and Zola, to a lesser extent) so it's no surprise that he outwitted Southgate.

lol. I'll predict the first XI after Clarke names it. 😛

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Very true. And the amount of shots we had blocked against the Czechs (do they even count?) Was insane 

Totally. He learned from brilliant coaches (Mourinho, Dalglish... and Gullit and Zola, to a lesser extent) so it's no surprise that he outwitted Southgate.

lol. I'll predict the first XI after Clarke names it. 😛

Edit: Just realised what thread this is. Don't want it to be about Southgate

Edited by Tartan blood

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Same starting XI

The same starting 11 will certainly create tons of chances. We just need to find a way to convert them. I'd be tempted to play Christie, Forrest, Fraser or even Turnbull as we all know they have an eye for goal.

Guest Scot1

Tempo, tempo, tempo.

If we can force the Croatians to  play at a high tempo, I think we can see them wither on that big Hampden pitch. Make them work, don’t give them a seconds rest.

It’ll be good to see Gilmour play against Modric, a bit of a passing of the baton moment in my mind.

I’m not convinced it will be exactly the same starting 11. It’s a different type of game than the one at Wembley. We are at home and anything less than a win won’t do.

Clarke set us up to negate England’s attacking prowess which worked perfectly but we are going to have to really go for it at times during this match.

OK, we can’t go hell for leather or we will leave ourselves exposed at the back but I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of changes are made. McTominay moved back into midfield possibly? 

Guest Scot1
11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not convinced it will be exactly the same starting 11. It’s a different type of game than the one at Wembley. We are at home and anything less than a win won’t do.

Clarke set us up to negate England’s attacking prowess which worked perfectly but we are going to have to really go for it at times during this match.

OK, we can’t go hell for leather or we will leave ourselves exposed at the back but I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of changes are made. McTominay moved back into midfield possibly? 

I can see us employing a high press. We don’t want the Croatians passing the ball around their backline unchallenged, slowing the game down to their pace.

Maybe the same starting 11, but more use of the subs bench earlier to bring on fresh legs

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

The same starting 11 will certainly create tons of chances. We just need to find a way to convert them. I'd be tempted to play Christie, Forrest, Fraser or even Turnbull as we all know they have an eye for goal.

Dykes was brilliant in the air against England. Won 9 headers (seemed like more than that), if Adams and McGinn can feed of the flick one, I think we have a chance. If not, as you say, get Fraser or even Nisbet on.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Our biggest match for 23 years which could see us reach the next round of a major tournament for the first time in our history - if we win.

Discuss....

I just hope the team doesn't suffer from too much hype about making history. I tend to see like the last group match in a qualifier where we 'just' need to win against a higher ranked team at home. Like playing Poland or Czech Republic in our last home game - except actually winning it. Even at home, given our record, that is a tough ask - but it should be doable.

One worry I have is McGinn. I expect him to be employed harassing Modric and Kovacic but he does tend to play on the edge. He got booked v England and don't want him to get an early  booking v Croatia. Plus - do bookings get carried forward to the next round, anybody know?