Where will our goals come from - last group game analysis - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where will our goals come from - last group game analysis

gkm_vancouver

Everybody is asking this. We got goals in the squad but we're copying tradition and struggling to do it on the big stage. We all know that McGinn, Christie, Forrest have got a few in qualifiers, Dykes and Adams a couple, and others like Hanley, Robbo, Nisbet, Hendry and Armstrong have mucked in. Fraser got the last 20 minutes against the Czechs but the game was slipping away. He's fast and has got 3 goals in his last 8 games - is he the answer? 

Most are talking about the same line-up but Dykes and Adams are not clinical as they need to be yet. More game time for Fraser and Nisbet?  Do we keep it tight at the back and try and sneak one on a counter attack? A few options to consider but only 90 minute to make it count.

The biggest thing is that we're creating chances. It would be a far worse situation if we weren't.

Dykes and Adams are still relatively young. The more they play with one another, the more their understanding will grow.

From here on in, time to play with two out and out strikers as opposed to a striker and a false nine.

Edited by Taylor1996

When you see how clinical other teams we look like we are sclaffing in comparison. McGinn, Fraser and Christie are our most recent decent finishers but only McGinn is likely to start. Lets hope they get some practice in and add in some variety for corners and free kicks. Against England, Tierney made a couple of cracking runs but was not picked up so final ball decision making is also something we need to get more right to ensure a win. 

Create the chances and the goals will come.  Confident of that.  We are a good side now at last but need to take our chances.  I believe we will.  Having said that, I don't think we will go through.  Probably goal difference or something as per usual.  But we are getting there at least.  Just hope we get a win on Tuesday.  That would do me.

I agree with the view that the more chances you make the likelihood  is you will be rewarded. 
When you dont have a prolific goal scorer you really have to rely on putting the defence under such constant pressure that they are forced into mistakes and you can sneak a goal.
I cannot see any reason why , if we play like we did on Friday, we cannot do this. Their defence isn’t insurmountable. 

What about Kevin Nisbet?

He hasn't had much game time. But scored against the Dutch.

Croatia will be expecting Dykes and Adams but can't help thinkgin Nisbet could bring something different.

I hope they don't leave it too late before he gets a proper chance.

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Tierney to bomb forward and blast one home to set us off. A bit like the goal he scored at Pittodrie.

Aye but someone will have to pass to him first. Dykes and Robbo could have done it v England when he was in the clear but he never received it.  It's not only being more clinical but making the right decision in the final third that's probably even more critical.