weekevie04

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

What a performance. 

Magnificent stuff and delighted for him after all the scapegoating on Monday. 

Bigman did well and happy to have his our RB

Ditto.

Like I said on the Marshall thread its a funny old game. People go from hero to zero so quickly amongst fans due to knee-jerk reactions based on one random match.

O'Donnell was excellent - they all were last night.

He looked off the pace on Monday but it was an excellent performance from him last night. 👏

Aside from the clean sheet, highlights for me were forcing Pickford into a great save and putting the poseur Grealish on his arse.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ditto.

Like I said on the Marshall thread its a funny old game. People go from hero to zero so quickly amongst fans due to knee-jerk reactions based on one random match.

O'Donnell was excellent - they all were last night.

Football fans in general are incredibly fickle. One bad performance is often all it takes to set up the guillotine. And it works both ways. Someone can have 1 good game and all is forgiven. e.g Forrest. Looking at O'Donnell's previous 20 caps, no one should have been questioning his ability in a Scotland jersey. My only worry was that it could have been mental. But he put that fear to bed last night. 

I'm glad Clarke doesn't have the brain of a football fan. He almost always puts out a team none of us are expecting and most of the time he gets it right. I don't think I'll even bother trying to predict the 11 vs Croatia. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I cannot see how he can change that starting line-up to be honest.

The only time Clarke has kept the same starting 11 two games in a row was after we beat Serbia. So you might be onto something. But I wouldn't be surprised to see an extra attacker in the team. Maybe Armstrong for McGregor. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

He did well, still think hes limited and the future will be Patterson or someone else but credit where its due. 

Patterson won't play in front of tavernier so he will be limited on playing time

I.hope Odonnell keeps proving us wrong and gets a decent move.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Patterson won't play in front of tavernier so he will be limited on playing time

I.hope Odonnell keeps proving us wrong and gets a decent move.

Rangers probably play near 70 games a season. Patterson should get plenty of game time. O donnell will no doubt be a villain again after a couple of poor performances. I thought he played well last night but I would still prefer forrest or Patterson there.

Stephen O'Donnell was exceptional last night, especially after the rubbish that's been written about him since Monday.

That's the proper credit he is due, not tedious caveats about him being limited and him holding the jersey while Patterson or someone else gets up to speed. Steve Clarke picks him for a reason.

Further credit to him for his dignified and measured post match interview.

Edited by Barney Rubble

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Rangers probably play near 70 games a season. Patterson should get plenty of game time. O donnell will no doubt be a villain again after a couple of poor performances. I thought he played well last night but I would still prefer forrest or Patterson there.

O'Donnell deserves to keep his place, Patterson or O'donnell for me. I want Forrest nowhere near the scotland 1st team 

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell was exceptional last night, especially after the rubbish that's been written about him since Monday.

That's the proper credit he is due, not tedious caveats about him being limited and him holding the jersey while Patterson or someone else gets up to speed. Steve Clarke picks him for a reason.

Further credit to him for his dignified and measured post match interview.

Let's be honest he looked out of his of depth on monday. Happy for him after last night's performance. He's a steady guy who won't win us much games but won't lose us many either. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Let's be honest he looked out of his of depth on monday. Happy for him after last night's performance. He's a steady guy who won't win us much games but won't lose us many either. 

A lot of the team against the Czech Rep looked out of their depth but they more than made up for against a better team last night. 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A lot of the team against the Czech Rep looked out of their depth but they more than made up for against a better team last night. 

Not really, we played decent against the Czechs. O donnell looked out of depth, with this board it's usually one extreme to the other. Last night he played quite well and is gettting rave reviews but that could all change pretty quickly. I don't mind him, but I think hes very limited and I think the near future will be Pattersons. 

5 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Let's get behind this man.  Fantastic performance and didn't deserve the criticism.  Well over done.

On yersel SOD

Yes he did. He's getting plaudits for yesterday and rightly so but against Czechs he was a bit of a frightened rabbit or was overdoing the effort and not concentrating to lose sight of the ball and more importantly ruining a great run by Christie. This is the top level football stage and that game (along with some poor finishing) could have cost us our ticket to the knockouts.

He's a big lad and should be able to take good with bad. To make sure of getting through against the best in Europe the whole team needs to be at least 8/10. For Croatia now that will probably have to be 9/10. We'll all get behind the team but they need to perform in all 3 games. We have one mighty test ahead of us where we will have to produce better than yesterday - we need to score more than them.

That's what getting to the last 16 will take.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not really, we played decent against the Czechs. O donnell looked out of depth, with this board it's usually one extreme to the other. Last night he played quite well and is gettting rave reviews but that could all change pretty quickly. I don't mind him, but I think hes very limited and I think the near future will be Pattersons. 

He defended excellently, nearly scored with a technically difficult volley and his passing was brisk and probing - he wasn't content to play back with the easy ball, hitting half a dozen or so wonderful passes forward. His crossing was the only thing I would mark down to quite well. That is not the ability of someone who is "very limited". That is a solid international player who can raise their game to a different level based on self confidence and having the confidence of the manager and team-mates. 

You describing him as playing "quite well" and still assessing him as "very limited" based on that performance is quite something. 

19 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

He defended excellently, nearly scored with a technically difficult volley and his passing was brisk and probing - he wasn't content to play back with the easy ball, hitting half a dozen or so wonderful passes forward. His crossing was the only thing I would mark down to quite well. That is not the ability of someone who is "very limited". That is a solid international player who can raise their game to a different level based on self confidence and having the confidence of the manager and team-mates. 

You describing him as playing "quite well" and still assessing him as "very limited" based on that performance is quite something. 

Are you talking about the England game? 

He played well against England but his overall Scotland career has been hit or miss. He looked quite poor against the Czech. Not saying he was terrible but he doesn't offer much going forward imo.

A player can be limited in ability and have a good game. O donnell is limited ability wise, he does have decent games and then has poor games. I don't mind the guy but I would prefer Patterson or even fraser against weaker teams where we need to be more attacking and long term I think we should give Patterson the position. 

In fairness to Stephen O'Donnell, he's been more hit than miss. The match against the Czechs is really the only time he's let us down.

In terms of Nathan Patterson, unless he gets first time football, he shouldn't even be in the squad. It's not the same for Gilmour, as Gilmour is an enormous talent, when Patterson came on against the Dutch he was like Bambi on ice.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are you talking about the England game? 

He played well against England but his overall Scotland career has been hit or miss. He looked quite poor against the Czech. Not saying he was terrible but he doesn't offer much going forward imo.

A player can be limited in ability and have a good game. O donnell is limited ability wise, he does have decent games and then has poor games. I don't mind the guy but I would prefer Patterson or even fraser against weaker teams where we need to be more attacking and long term I think we should give Patterson the position. 

We get it that you have a hard-on for Patterson - the same man who has yet to get ahead of Tavernier in the Sevco team.

That's not a reason to spout pish about Stephen O'Donnell who is hands down the best RB/RWB available to Steve Clarke for this tournament.

He's been more than reliable for Scotland in his 21 caps to date - and has contributed to several goals in that time too, most recently against Luxembourg.

Honestly - you are embarrassing yourself with this view.