Scotland vs England: Match thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs England: Match thread

Taylor1996

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Ah yes, fair. 

This team has the potential to be better than the 90s team. Maybe even our best team of all time? 

Here’s hoping we sneak a 1-0 Tuesday & England hump Czech 3-0 And we can look forward to Sweden in the last 16! 

Surely the Czechs to hump England 3-0 would be a lot better

Well that's me watched it again. On second viewing I think we did pretty well but I think England are playing well below their potential. They should be converting the huge possession they had into more chances although we did do very well defensively to limit their chances and Hanley was immense. I think we might be seeing a new version of hanley, he looks more composed and his concentration was great. Will be interesting to see how he copes back in the epl with Norwich. 

Gilmour looked decent but I actually thought mcginn was outstanding and really provided the bite in midfield. Mcgregor looked good as well. Adams was brilliant at holding the ball up. O donnell and Robertson had a great games as well. 

Overall it was a good performance but its a shame we couldn't get a winner as it was as good a chance as any we will get to beat England at Wembley. 

My Ratings are

Marshall 6.5

Robertson 7.5

Tierney 7.5

Hanley 8.5

Mctominay 7

O donnell 7.5

Gilmour 7

Mcginn 8

Mcgregor 7.5

Dykes 6.5

Adams 7

Gilmour was, as expected, excellent but I thought McGregor and McGinn were key. McGregor brought much needed composure to midfield and helped as retain possession when we most needed it. Still can't work out if McGinn's booking helped or hindered him - he was treading a very thin line and felt he was risking free-kicks in dangerous places. Thought the booking forced him to calm down a bit though and along with Gilmour and McGregor, were instrumental in controlling the game.

We said it before and it seems even more obvious now - midfield is where we are strongest and I think that's why last Monday was especially disappointing as we appeared to miss them out entirely for 45 minutes and by the time we got the midfield involved, the tone of the game was set. 

A lot of criticism last week of O'Donnell was OTT but more a reflection of frustration at a poor result, disappointing performance (IMO) and his inclusion as a wingback screamed negativity to me. It didn't help he clearly got off to a nervy start. His strength is his defensive ability which was shown in his performance against England, but I think we really need to see someone more attacking in that right wingback role in games where we're favouring attack over defence. Have no problem with O'Donnell slotting back into the back 3 when we're opting for something more attacking. 

Overall though, thought everyone was excellent and should be the core of our team going forward. But think Clarke has some work to do getting our tactics exactly right in games against teams around our level.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:59 AM, slasher said:

What bigots? 

On 6/19/2021 at 1:42 AM, Toepoke said:

No need for that, especially after a night like this.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:29 AM, gkm_vancouver said:

I am astounded by this posting. For what could turn out to be our most significant and historic tournament performance you are totally out of order with this and should be ashamed of yourself as part of the Tartan Army. Away and play in the football related thread. 

On 6/19/2021 at 5:24 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

I think that says more about the poster regarding bigotry after a night like this.  Should their heads in shame with a bigoted statement like that.  Hope they feel shameful after a great performance but feel the need to bring Rangers and bigotry in to the equation.  Shameful behaviour.

Aye, fuck knows why I was feeling bitter after such a good night. Definitely doesn't reflect the reality of how I was actually feeling at the time - very happy! Probably should avoid posting after the 10 beer mark. 

Anyway, sorry folks. 

22 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Aye, fuck knows why I was feeling bitter after such a good night. Definitely doesn't reflect the reality of how I was actually feeling at the time - very happy! Probably should avoid posting after the 10 beer mark. 

Anyway, sorry folks. 

Fair enough mate, good of you to 'fess up. We all want the same thing tonight with our national team.

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I've jsut read that Wembley can have 75% capacity for the semis. Huge advantage to Eng. Why is Hampden limited to 25% all the way through as far as I can see? Even 50% could make all the difference to us. And Budapest has capacity crowds. Have they had no covid issues there?

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I've jsut read that Wembley can have 75% capacity for the semis. Huge advantage to Eng. Why is Hampden limited to 25% all the way through as far as I can see? Even 50% could make all the difference to us. And Budapest has capacity crowds. Have they had no covid issues there?

From what I can make out other countries in Europe have testing or passport systems is place that allow more freedom of movement.

Freedom of any sort is not encouraged in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Remember hearing last week that UEFA were threatening to move it to Budapest if England couldn't guarantee crowd levels for semi and final.  

I forgot to add that our experience for this game was added to by the two lads in the pub singing various Scotland songs, including ‘we have a dream’. Unfortunately they were too young to remember it and were singing the ABBA one instead.