Scotland vs England: Match thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs England: Match thread

Taylor1996

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this must count as a good team effort and punching above our weight.

We should enjoy tonight and the weekend while it lasts.  :guitar:

Edited by exile

There were some immense performances, particularly Hanley, McTominay, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney. Gilmour was good without being too penetrative in attack. O'Donnell also had one of his better games, though is a full-back and not a wing back suited to a back 3. But I have to disagree everyone emerges with great credit, as for me McGregor is a glaring weakness. Off the ball when the opposition has possession he NEVER EVER marks anyone, or tracks runners. He is always ball-watching in a zone completely by himself. In possession he does not demand the ball like Gilmour, and invariably plays backwards. This adds huge pressure on the rest of the midfield. Once upon a time under Brendan Rodgers he was a good player, but no longer. Clarke is obsessed with him, and after that result is sure to play him against Croatia. We cannot afford to be carrying a passenger.

1 minute ago, HighlandScot said:

There were some immense performances, particularly Hanley, McTominay, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney. Gilmour was good without being too penetrative in attack. O'Donnell also had one of his better games, though is a full-back and not a wing back suited to a back 3. But I have to disagree everyone emerges with great credit, as for me McGregor is a glaring weakness. Off the ball when the opposition has possession he NEVER EVER marks anyone, or tracks runners. He is always ball-watching in a zone completely by himself. In possession he does not demand the ball like Gilmour, and invariably plays backwards. This adds huge pressure on the rest of the midfield. Once upon a time under Brendan Rodgers he was a good player, but no longer. Clarke is obsessed with him, and after that result is sure to play him against Croatia. We cannot afford to be carrying a passenger.

I watched McGregor closely tonight - he never lost the ball once. OK, he doesn't tackle but he doesn't need to. I was critical too but after tonight I see what Clarke sees in him.

OMG i am having to double my blood pressure tablets.

So pleased for the team, the fans down there, and those going on Tuesday .

I am also fookin disappointed in myself that I never had faith and chose to go to the Czech game over Croatia. 

Totally delighted with the result, every player was fantastic. I was saying to my pal when we were discussing potential subs I couldn't think of anyone was tying and I couldn't think of anyone who was an obvious call. We go into the last game with everything to play for and even 2nd is a possibility but I don't care where we finish as long as take care of Croatia and go through. 

Best nil-nil ever.

Stevie Clarke nailed the tactics. Gilmour is a Rolls Royce and allowed McGinn to push on. Man for man Scotland were brilliant. So many good performances. Stephen ODonnel of Motherwell had Sterling in his back pocket. Went toe to toe with them and there was nothing in it.

Delighted 

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I watched McGregor closely tonight - he never lost the ball once. OK, he doesn't tackle but he doesn't need to. I was critical too but after tonight I see what Clarke sees in him.

I am always amazed that folk just can't see what he does. They must be just watching the ball all the time and not following what is happening off the ball. He is one of our most important players. 

So England had one shot on target. Marshall saved well.

So the defence did their job. But that scrum near the end - living dangerously!

Edited by exile