Wales - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wales

mccaughey85

Through already, they seem to be getting results with what I would consider a similar standard of squad.

They had Cardiff and Luton players playing tonight and like us they usually have a few English championship players in their starting line ups. 

Imo Tierney, Robertson, mctominay, mcginn and adams would be certain starters for them with guys like Armstrong, fraser, mcgregor, gilmour, Cooper getting regular gametime as well.

On paper I would say both teams are pretty equal. 

We have similar levels of players, I think the difference is they have 2/3 of their best players in attacking positions.

Swap one of Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, McGinn for a Striker or inside forward of a similar level and we'd get a lot better results. We've improved in these areas but we are still not able to create well or take the chances when we do.

I'd also say their central defence and goalkeeper are a bit better than ours.

We have the core of a decent team, the majority of our squad will be under 30/31 if we make the next EURO's. We just need to find our team philosophy are we an attacking, defensive, passing or a blood n guts type of team. We seem to be a mix of everything and don't really have an identity as a footballing nation.

There was all this talk when the performance schools started of 4-2-3-1 all the way through the youth set-ups and all playing the same style. That seems to have gone completely out of the windae and we just play anything at youth level, while booting it long to a big striker. This needs sorted out pronto and the SFA needs a massive clear out and a rejig at all levels. 

1 minute ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

We have similar levels of players, I think the difference is they have 2/3 of their best players in attacking positions.

Swap one of Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, McGinn for a Striker or inside forward of a similar level and we'd get a lot better results. We've improved in these areas but we are still not able to create well or take the chances when we do.

We have the core of a decent team, the majority of our squad will be under 30/31 if we make the next EURO's. We just need to find our team philosophy are we an attacking, defensive, passing or a blood n guts type of team. We seem to be a mix of everything and don't really have an identity as a footballing nation.

There was all this talk when the performance schools started of 4-2-3-1 all the way through the youth set-ups and all playing the same style. That seems to have gone completely out of the windae and we just play anything at youth level, while booting it long to a big striker. This needs sorted out pronto and the SFA needs a massive clear out and a rejig at all levels. 

Yes they have Bale and Ramsay - two attacking players who create stacks of chances and score stacks of goals. We just do not have that. Between them those two have 50+ international goals to their name - speaks volumes. We lost on Monday due to not taking chances.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes they have Bale and Ramsay - two attacking players who create stacks of chances and score stacks of goals. We just do not have that. Between them those two have 50+ international goals to their name - speaks volumes. We lost on Monday due to not taking chances.

Did you see the two sitters Ramsey missed and Bales penalty.

We can't even create chances like that.

What I like about them is they're far far better at giving youth a chance.

They could've just kept faith with likes of Chris Gunter and Williams up to these euros but after 2017 decided to give likes of Rodon, Mepham and Connor Roberts a serious go, think all were 20 or under at the time.

Ampadu at Chelsea has played less for them than Gilmour I think, Wales capped him at 17. Same for Williams at Liverpool.

That's the difference, they get the talented young players in early to learn, play in qualifiers and make mistakes but 2-3 years down the line they start to mature and really feel part of the set up.

Complete opposite here waiting for Gilmour and Turnbull to start proper games despite both being around for 18 months or longer now in senior game.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

What I like about them is they're far far better at giving youth a chance.

They could've just kept faith with likes of Chris Gunter and Williams up to these euros but after 2017 decided to give likes of Rodon, Mepham and Connor Roberts a serious go, think all were 20 or under at the time.

Ampadu at Chelsea has played less for them than Gilmour I think, Wales capped him at 17. Same for Williams at Liverpool.

That's the difference, they get the talented young players in early to learn, play in qualifiers and make mistakes but 2-3 years down the line they start to mature and really feel part of the set up.

Complete opposite here waiting for Gilmour and Turnbull to start proper games despite both being around for 18 months or longer now in senior game.

Yes I have made this point before also. It has been going on for years too.

36 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

How long have we been saying that?  Maybe we'll get another think tank or something.

7 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I have made this point before also. It has been going on for years too.

The Berti Vogts scattergun approach to capping young players probably had an effect on our managers.

Just now, Dave78 said:

The Berti Vogts scattergun approach to capping young players probably had an effect on our managers.

Or if not our subsequent managers, then definitely the media reaction to repeating that approach.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

This. Their best players are up front, ours are defenders.

Wales do have a lot of English Championship players in their squad but their frontline featured a player each from Juventus, Real Madrid and Manchester United. 

Their centre forward plays in the English Championship but he managed more than 20 goals this season. By comparison, Dykes scored 12 in the same division.

Aside from that, their organisation and game management was excellent today.  Well done to them; if they make to the next round they'll have earned it.

Final third they are top drawer, arguably world class. We are no where near their level. Bale single handedly got them to euro 2016 and was pretty much responsible for their semi final run aided by Ramsey. 2 assists tonight for Bale, it’s night and day from us.

Wales are basically set up to make the most of their skills and they do it well, in fact go as far to say they are not afraid to do it either. All this after a longer period in the wilderness than us. Thay then get rewarded with success beyond their standings for their brave decisions.I couldn't even tell you the name of their manager. They can even win after missing a penalty and being provoked by a dirty Turkish team.

We on the other hand seem shit scared to make a brave or daring decision on team selection and continue to suffer with embarrassing displays against teams of a similar standing or even worse, lower standings at World Cups.

Well played Wales.

Bale and Ramsay compliment each other perfectly and are two players who have been way more successful at international level than any of our players currently or in history. We just do not have players of that ilk available to us. I'd say potentially the closest we have of a creative player is Billy Gilmour but his growth is being prevented by the feeling that less creative midfielders are of more worth to the side.

19 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Yup. Both Gilmour and Patterson would have several caps for Wales by now. Probably Turnbull too.

There’s no chance in hell Wales would be picking a Stephen O’Donnell type player over Nathan Patterson. 

Billy Gilmour would have also been starting for them for about 18 months. 

Oh no we know best though. As they qualify for the knockout stages of another tournament. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

There’s no chance in hell Wales would be picking a Stephen O’Donnell type player over Nathan Patterson. 

Billy Gilmour would have also been starting for them for about 18 months. 

Oh no we know best though. As they qualify for the knockout stages of another tournament. 

I agree.

The way I see tomorrow night is that same old same old ain't getting us a result. I'd much rather see Clarke throw in Patterson, Gilmour and give Turnbull a go at some point. There is still a good chance we will lose but we will learn a heck of a lot about the youngsters playing in a pressure match.

Case study: Ethan Ampadu has 12 first team appearances at Chelsea (5 from the bench), including only 1 in the EPL and 25 caps for Wales.

Billy Gilmour has 22 appearances for Chelsea (8 from the bench), including 11 in the league and 2 caps for Scotland.

Ampadu is 9 months older than Gilmour and made his debut for the national team in 2017 after being called up aged 16, before he made his Chelsea first team debut 

Ask Chelsea fans which one is the better player. I’ll warrant none of them say Ampadu.

3 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Wales are basically set up to make the most of their skills and they do it well, in fact go as far to say they are not afraid to do it either. All this after a longer period in the wilderness than us. Thay then get rewarded with success beyond their standings for their brave decisions.I couldn't even tell you the name of their manager. They can even win after missing a penalty and being provoked by a dirty Turkish team.

We on the other hand seem shit scared to make a brave or daring decision on team selection and continue to suffer with embarrassing displays against teams of a similar standing or even worse, lower standings at World Cups.

Well played Wales.

Thats a bit unfair on the Turkish team.