European Football 21/22 - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

41 minutes ago, slasher said:

I tend to agree. If Haaland is back next week it could be tasty. We can still make a game of it but playing on plastic isn't really our thing so on balance I'd reckon we're oot! 

Really disappointed in Celtic. Felt this competition was very winnable.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Absolutely horrendous stuff from us tonight. The worst we've played since Livingston. Hopefully it's just a blip but I hope Kyogo isn't out for 

Celtic needed hatate on from the start, we played the game at far to slow a tempo,  Rogic was hopeless tonight, Abada stood on the  right wing in yards of space all nigh tbut it was like he was invisible to the rest of the team even though everybody in the ground could see him, he must have been freezing standing out there, totally gauling performance from the whole team, I have to say this though thank god bodo haven't played a a competitive game in 2 months because they are technically good n fair play to their fans there were more bodo fans at celtic park than any team in the spl usual bring n they were noisy, they didn't need to lie on the ground as if they were injured that took the shine if what I thought were a decent side, especially the player who set up the 2nd goal for them having lay on the ground for 5 mins(exaggeration) probably 2 mins but he's still a cheatin bastard in my book n various others hitting the deck as if there was a sniper in the stand taking pot shots 

Edited by jcs

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

Why wouldn't they? They looked pretty gutted at the final whistle earlier.

I'd be surprised if Dortmund give much of a fuck about the europa league. It's like the league Cup in England, the big guns only care about it if they get to the final.

7 hours ago, jcs said:

Celtic needed hatate on from the start, we played the game at far to slow a tempo,  Rogic was hopeless tonight, Abada stood on the  right wing in yards of space all nigh tbut it was like he was invisible to the rest of the team even though everybody in the ground could see him, he must have been freezing standing out there, totally gauling performance from the whole team, I have to say this though thank god bodo haven't played a a competitive game in 2 months because they are technically good n fair play to their fans there were more bodo fans at celtic park than any team in the spl usual bring n they were noisy, they didn't need to lie on the ground as if they were injured that took the shine if what I thought were a decent side, especially the player who set up the 2nd goal for them having lay on the ground for 5 mins(exaggeration) probably 2 mins but he's still a cheatin bastard in my book n various others hitting the deck as if there was a sniper in the stand taking pot shots 

Is Kyogo a cheatin bastard in your book?

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Really disappointed in Celtic. Felt this competition was very winnable.

It should be a wake up call, we aren't anywhere near as good as we think we are. 

8 hours ago, jcs said:

Aye, the manager made a mistake or two last night. Re Bodo, I'd take their left back off their hands in a heartbeat. Great technique and a proper athlete 👍

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd be surprised if Dortmund give much of a fuck about the europa league. It's like the league Cup in England, the big guns only care about it if they get to the final.

Well, I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world for them, since they're still in with a shout of winning the Bundesliga (I think), but if they're big guns then they'll be under pressure to win things.

Put it this way, I doubt they'll turn up at Ibrox next week or the week after (whenever it is) and just go through the motions.  I can foresee a good, old-fashioned "Scottish team in Europe" collapse.

If Haaland is back for Dortmund then of course he represents a threat but Rangers should be confident of getting another goal or two against that Dortmund defence - who knows it could be a high scoring game at Ibrox next week.

Didn't catch the Celtic match as was watching Atalanta v Olympiacos. Certainly a shocking scoreline though. During the very first Covid lockdown I remember the Norwegian league being one of the first to start playing and Eurosport picked up the rights to show it. I can remember watching a few games and being fairly impressed with the standard and the willingness of all the teams to setup positively and just go all out attack. Sounds like Celtic's chances are slim but if they get the first goal who knows - it could be a high scoring game at Aspmyra Stadion next week.

17 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Amazing as in surprising or as in enjoyable.....?

Oh 100% enjoyable, it’s not surprising at all, that’s how he works. When Celtic are pumping teams having at least 10 x the budget available, it’s all you can read, how great angeball is, how bad everyone else is, but a dodgy performance and he’s nowhere to be seen. I dare say he’ll be back with a Boooooommmmmm when Celtic stick 4 or 5 past Dundee on Sunday 🙄

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They played their strongest starting 11 available. If they were treating it like the league cup they'd have played their youngsters and squad players.

I'm quite baffled how anyone can look at a full strength (minus injuries) Dortmund team and think they aren't taking it seriously.

In the group stages of these competitions these level of teams don't care but once the knockouts start these teams taking it very seriously.

41 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

They played their strongest starting 11 available. If they were treating it like the league cup they'd have played their youngsters and squad players.

I'm quite baffled how anyone can look at a full strength (minus injuries) Dortmund team and think they aren't taking it seriously.

In the group stages of these competitions these level of teams don't care but once the knockouts start these teams taking it very seriously.

I wouldnt even say that they dont take it seriously in the group stages. The difference in the group stages is that the big teams know that they dont need to play their strongest teams for every match to qualify. This means you are more likely to see the odd big upset but more often than not, even after the upset the big team ends up in the top 2.

It was a great result for Rangers and a poot one for Celtic. Saying that if I was a betting man I would still fancy Celtic to qualify over Rangers.

14 hours ago, jcs said:

So they played Celtic at their own game then 😜

On 2/17/2022 at 8:38 PM, scotlad said:

This is the quandary I have watching the OF in Europe. I kind of want the teams to do well because I think it enhances our game's reputation, but a significant portion of their fanbases are such roasters they qualify as national embarrassments!  

Anyway, from a footballing perspective it's a great result. A pity they couldn't have maintained the three goal advantage, as overturning a two goal advantage should be doable for Dortmund, especially if Haaland is fit.

I cannot disagree with any of that.

Fancy Celtic to get a result tonight. Think Rangers might still go out.

Away goals being scrapped has really helped Celtic and not Rangers on this occasion. If Dortmund had to win by 3 in 90 mins then I could see them over committing and getting hit on the counter. As it is a 2 goal win would hardly be a surprising result to take it to extra time.

55 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Away goals being scrapped has really helped Celtic and not Rangers on this occasion. If Dortmund had to win by 3 in 90 mins then I could see them over committing and getting hit on the counter. As it is a 2 goal win would hardly be a surprising result to take it to extra time.

Ange's team selection suggests otherwise to me. Plastic pitch in the Arctic circle 3-1 down? I'm not too arsed as long as we don't make a holy show of ourselves. 

I think Rangers will get through, maybe after a scare or two. 

44 minutes ago, slasher said:

Ange's team selection suggests otherwise to me. Plastic pitch in the Arctic circle 3-1 down? I'm not too arsed as long as we don't make a holy show of ourselves. 

I think Rangers will get through, maybe after a scare or two. 

Agreed, very strange team selection. Might still perform well but clearly a weakend non 1st choice team which is strange as this is a competition that Celtic should have ambitions of going deep into.

I don’t think it’s the worst shout from Celtic. They won’t win the conference and there’s no credit to getting to the quarters or semis the same as there would be the Europa. They’re 3-1 down, it’s about -40 and a plastic pitch.  No point on risking the first teamers (and let’s face it, some of them have seemed a bit fragile physically). Save them for the more important League run in and whatever happens tonight happens. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

1-0 already 

I get that it's a difficult venue in difficult conditions..... but I tell you what, if I had paid money to follow the team out there I'd be fuckin raging right now. We've barely looked interested plus have conceded our usual joke of a goal 🙈