European Football 21/22 - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

it’s a sad day when we are describing a team from Azerbaijan as far superior to one of our own with such European pedigree.  If you need to see how far we have fallen as a footballing nation in the last 40 years, last night tells the story.  We are nobodys of football.

One minute beating Real Madrid to win a European trophy, the next pumped out at home in the early rounds by a team nobody has heard of.

wtf have all these “think tanks” achieved…. Fuck all.

Qarabag are well backed with a decent European pedigree, they played in the CL groups in 2018. 

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Challenging Europa League groups for the two Scottish clubs who made it to this stage.

Rangers in Group A with Lyon, Sparta Prague and Brondby.

Celtic in Group G with Leverkusen, Real Betis and Ferencvaros

we should be able to live with these teams.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Would Considine have made a difference? I see that McCrorie was playing centre half though most Rangers fans didn't really rare him there. Shame you went out, depressing that so many Scottish clubs are out already. It would make such a difference to clubs to have a decent run.

Think Considine would have helped but not changed the result, McCrorie & Gallagher aren’t good together but we’ve looked fragile at the back from the start of the season. Qarabag were a lot better than I thought 👍

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

it’s a sad day when we are describing a team from Azerbaijan as far superior to one of our own with such European pedigree.  If you need to see how far we have fallen as a footballing nation in the last 40 years, last night tells the story.  We are nobodys of football.

One minute beating Real Madrid to win a European trophy, the next pumped out at home in the early rounds by a team nobody has heard of.

wtf have all these “think tanks” achieved…. Fuck all.

When Aberdeen were beating Real Madrid in 1983 where were Swedish teams in the list of footballing nations yet nearly 40 years on Malmo beat Rangers at Ibrox with 10 men 👍

7 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

When Aberdeen were beating Real Madrid in 1983 where were Swedish teams in the list of footballing nations yet nearly 40 years on Malmo beat Rangers at Ibrox with 10 men 👍

In the final of the European Cup - the proper one with the big ears.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

In the final of the European Cup - the proper one with the big ears.

Hopefully Malmo will get to the plastic European cup final this year - the one that you don’t have to be a champion to get into, but as someone’s already posted money talks in this world of the super rich leagues & clubs with UEFA all about making money, that’s why they’ve included Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc in European football when they’re on China’s borders 🥴

7 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Hopefully Malmo will get to the plastic European cup final this year - the one that you don’t have to be a champion to get into, but as someone’s already posted money talks in this world of the super rich leagues & clubs with UEFA all about making money, that’s why they’ve included Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc in European football when they’re on China’s borders 🥴

Azerbaijan is about a 2000 miles from China.  Your geography is clearly as bad as your history.

I believe it is the Scottish FA who choose the representatives in Europe.

Ive always thought that finishing 3rd should be given a higher Euro slot than winning the Scottish Cup if we want our non old firm teams to do better in europe. 

On one hand I understand the thinking behind rewarding a team who wins something but purely from a co-efficient standing the team who finishes 3rd would have a better chance of qualifying for a group stage than one who has won a few games in a row.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I believe it is the Scottish FA who choose the representatives in Europe.

Ive always thought that finishing 3rd should be given a higher Euro slot than winning the Scottish Cup if we want our non old firm teams to do better in europe. 

On one hand I understand the thinking behind rewarding a team who wins something but purely from a co-efficient standing the team who finishes 3rd would have a better chance of qualifying for a group stage than one who has won a few games in a row.

Hibs came 3rd & they got papped our 1st, the advantage St Johnstone had was they got a second chance due to the ridiculous parachute system whereby teams lose & drop down to the next competition, some teams could get to play in three euro competitions in the same season & are guaranteed euro football till Xmas which is absolutely crazy 😜

5 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Hibs came 3rd & they got papped our 1st, the advantage St Johnstone had was they got a second chance due to the ridiculous parachute system whereby teams lose & drop down to the next competition, some teams could get to play in three euro competitions in the same season & are guaranteed euro football till Xmas which is absolutely crazy 😜

Thats my point. That Hibs or Aberdeen might have had a better chance with the drop down system.

Not saying they would have got through but logic says the 3rd best team in the country would have a better chance than the 6th

3 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Every Scottish team knocked out (though some get another chance) before the end of August!

my point exactly….. we have faded away to nothing, a joke… it’s all over.  When are we likely to see a Scottish team in the champions league final or even uefa cup final?  Apart from the well known big trophy wins of the past when are we going to see the likes of Dundee Utd beating Barcelona, hearts beating Bayern Munich which were regular occurrences only 30 years ago. Scottish football is a joke on par with the noddy leagues.  

10 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Malmö were in the European cup final in 1979 losing it narrowly to Nottingham Forrest.  They were coached by Roy hodgson if memory serves me well.  Also I think Gothenburg won the uefa cup in the 80s?

On 8/27/2021 at 11:54 PM, Malcolm said:

Malmö were in the European cup final in 1979 losing it narrowly to Nottingham Forrest.  They were coached by Roy hodgson if memory serves me well.  

It was another Englishman, Bob Houghton. Roy was his pal though and took over at Malmo in the 80s.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, slasher said:

With 5 or 6 certain starters and 2 or 3 fringe players missing this could be a tough night for us. Time for others to step up or it could be a watch through your fingers job. 🤪

I

Am no confident about this one at all tbh, 4-0 could easily happen,,