European Football 21/22 - Page 36 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

17 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Oh watch now thplinth. Can you use the word midget nowadays? Check out the trouble this guy had 😄

😀

The Wonka factory, of course!

825a86bb9612b3b07b60352e6c571236.jpg

Well at least we know now where one of the Oompa-Loompa's ended up.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two cringeworthy things to pick out from last night's final.

First the Celtic fans across the social media feeling the need to scoff and gloat and belittle. Quite ridiculous as, without Rangers run to the Final, Celtic would not be in the Champions League (direct) next season.

Second the Rangers fans in UJ hats, sunhats and waving UJ's. Super cringeworthy. Whose benefit is it for as I have many Facebook friends outwith Scotland from the UK who were desperate to see Rangers lose. And remind me how Rangers got into the competition? From their exploits in SCOTTISH football.

And by the way I support neither club.

Gutted.  Really proud of the team to get as far as they did but we picked the wrong game to have our worst performance of the campaign.  Looked like the occasion got to them, especially in the first half.  I remember being pretty down after Manchester but this is like that on steroids.

Must be mellowing as I wanted Zenit to absolutely batter them in 2008 final but last night wasn't really that bothered who won and was a bit disappointed for them to honest as the fans seemed in the main just to enjoy themselves.  Even though the videos from old players were a bit cringey telling them not smash shit up appreciated the effort to be honest. 

In a way glad they didn't win it as couldn't wrap my head around it being good for Scottish football as a whole really.  If they got into the CL group pot one I'd suspect they'd spunk the wedge on 'sexy' players like Ramsey rather than plucking youth from the SPL for a fee and/or playing their own prospects in meaningful games.  

They've got some exciting talent coming through and hopefully a long run in the Europa again next season gives plenty scope to play them as they'll have less dosh to chuck about.  I get the experience angle but taking on Arfield, Davis and a player like Ramsey who quite obviously can't be arsed until Wales play hopefully is a model they're moving away from as there's no resale value.  Maybe Lowry isn't ready but with the spaces opening up in ET and the humidity involved to have a talent available that can hold onto the ball with no fear and produce magic must have been tempting to throw on.    

I suspect the results in the next season's OF 4-6 derbies will trump medium to long term planning as usual for both sides unfortunately but at least Rangers seem to have a bit of talent coming through that could force their way into the first team hopefully.    

19 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Gutted.  Really proud of the team to get as far as they did but we picked the wrong game to have our worst performance of the campaign.  Looked like the occasion got to them, especially in the first half.  I remember being pretty down after Manchester but this is like that on steroids.

I'm no expert on Rangers so tell me I'm havering pish if I'm wrong but 4 at the back seemed to play into Frankfurt's hands.  Tavernier was then forces to defend more than he could attack and was being pinned by their most dangerous player.  

Again only seen him a couple of times but would it be that big a deal Goldson leaving on a free as was one who looked out of his depth yesterday.  Bassey on the otherhand - fuck me never knew he had a game like that in him! 

Personally thought Frankfurt were unlucky not win in 90 and Rangers were unlucky not win in ET - the Ramsey substitution will probably haunt Gio for the rest of his tenure as that just seemed bizarre.  

Edited by ThistleWhistle

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

You could likely add Juve and Arsenal to that list too.  

Well if you look at bare stats he has played a dozen games in the last year in club football and some of them as substitute. Hardly a glowing indictment of form. Perhaps Van Brankhorst was viewing his displays for Wales in his career as a guideline where he has been consistent.

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'm no expert on Rangers so tell me I'm havering pish if I'm wrong but 4 at the back seemed to play into Frankfurt's hands.  Tavernier was then forces to defend more than he could attack and was being pinned by their most dangerous player.  

Again only seen him a couple of times but would it be that big a deal Goldson leaving on a free as was one who looked out of his depth yesterday.  Bassey on the otherhand - fuck me never knew he had a game like that in him! 

Personally thought Frankfurt were unlucky not win in 90 and Rangers were unlucky not win in ET - the Ramsey substitution will probably haunt Gio for the rest of his tenure as that just seemed bizarre.  

Goldson has been our best CH for the last 4 years.  He's really consistent and barely misses a game.  If we're replacing him with Souttar we've got problems as Goldson is a vastly superior player and probably plays more than double the amount of games we'll get out of Souttar.  Bassey had a rocky start last season but he's been immense this year and seems to save his best performances for Europe.  He looks like he's got a bit future ahead of him and I think we'll see some chunky bids in the summer.

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Second the Rangers fans in UJ hats, sunhats and waving UJ's. Super cringeworthy. Whose benefit is it for as I have many Facebook friends outwith Scotland from the UK who were desperate to see Rangers lose. And remind me how Rangers got into the competition? From their exploits in SCOTTISH football.

It was the Mexican hats that threw me.

Edited by Och Aye

Non Rangers fan - my thoughts !!

Frankfurt where the slightly better team during the first 90 mins. (And should have had a penalty 1st half IMO)

Rangers the better team in extra time

Rangers must be one of the fittest teams in Europe, they are not the best team in Scotland but they are certainly the fittest.

Overall I think Frankfurt just about deserved it.

The young lad Bassey looks a cracking player and also strong as a bull.

Ramsay doesn't look fit - guaranteed he'll be in top shape and top form though if we beat Ukraine and play those Welsh C***S 4 days later.

Great campaign (again) by Rangers, just wish our other clubs could do that wee bit better when the new campaigns start again June / July

Football is very often a game of fine margins and last night was one of those occasions.  Didn’t think there was much between the teams.  I don’t think Rangers played badly, more that they were matched by a team that was capable of closing down the flanks, which is where Rangers attacks tend to develop.  Kent could’ve won it at the death but I thought the defender probably did enough to make it more difficult for him and put him off and it was a great save from Trapp, Frankfurt similarly could think themselves a bit unlucky as they had chances as well.  Both goals were as a direct result of a defensive error.  Penalties probably the fairest outcome, although I don’t think either team sat back and played for them which was good.

Nine unsaveable penalties and one poor one.  Sometime that’s football.

Edit. Watched the game in the pub last night with a couple of mates, one of who is an Arsenal fan.  All game he was going on about “why isn’t Ramsay on” and “get Ramsey on”.  He was very apologetic at the end. 

Edited by aaid

Watched the game with some of my Rangers supporting friends. Biggest disappointment that they never properly turned up. Dont think anybody could have argued had Frankfurt have been 2 up after 25 mins. After that the game did settle and Rangers had some chances. Goldson hugely to blame for the goal. No reason to leave that ball. Just deal with it.

Big thing for me is that Rangers continually suffer from not exposing young players to big games. Putting Lowry on would have been a big risk last nigjt but only because he hasnt been exposed to big games previously. He could easily have been used in Old Firm games or other league games this season. Starting with Wright and then having to bring on Davis and Arfield wouldnt have been neccesary if Lowry had been given more experience. And imo Lowry is a far better player than Wright and currently better than Davis or Arfield.

Arfield was a safe choice and it got Rangers exactlty that. No mistake but no magic to go and win in normal time.

32 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Goldson has been our best CH for the last 4 years.  He's really consistent and barely misses a game.  If we're replacing him with Souttar we've got problems as Goldson is a vastly superior player and probably plays more than double the amount of games we'll get out of Souttar.  Bassey had a rocky start last season but he's been immense this year and seems to save his best performances for Europe.  He looks like he's got a bit future ahead of him and I think we'll see some chunky bids in the summer.

Cheers - what level of team is in for him on a free realistically?  Is it Fulham / Burnley types or is he punching higher?

It's not great for Rangers but at least we're back in a place where Premiership clubs are looking at pinching talent from our clubs so helps make it more attractive to look to develop in the SPL.  

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Rangers have been to three European finals in my lifetime, unfortunately the only one we won I was too young to remember.

I think when we look back we'll see a team that has over achieved in Europe. The limitations of individual players was shown up last night. 

I don't think any of the players from last night would feature in a greatest ever team, although a couple might make the squad. It'll be interesting to see who Gio picks for Saturday.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

They made a much better fist of it last night than in 2008 though, I thought.  

My memory of the 2008 final was Rangers were quite passive and never really made Zenit work too hard for their win.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

It was the Mexican hats that threw me.

That was a riddy 🤣

The equivalent in reverse would be a bunch of thick Spaniards turning up for a cup final in Scotland wearing Stetsons!

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Cheers - what level of team is in for him on a free realistically?  Is it Fulham / Burnley types or is he punching higher?

It's not great for Rangers but at least we're back in a place where Premiership clubs are looking at pinching talent from our clubs so helps make it more attractive to look to develop in the SPL.  

Goldson?  He came from Brighton so it'll be that level of team that comes for him.  When you see the likes of Tyrone Mings at Villa I think Goldson is a better player than him but I wouldn't have thought he'd get a club much bigger than that.

20 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They made a much better fist of it last night than in 2008 though, I thought.  

My memory of the 2008 final was Rangers were quite passive and never really made Zenit work too hard for their win.

That was a riddy 🤣

The equivalent in reverse would be a bunch of thick Spaniards turning up for a cup final in Scotland wearing Stetsons!

I wasn't there at the time but I can pretty much guarantee that when Scotland qualified for Spain '82 there will have been plenty of Tartan Army there with sombreros.

28 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I wasn't there at the time but I can pretty much guarantee that when Scotland qualified for Spain '82 there will have been plenty of Tartan Army there with sombreros.

Nothing with UJ's sprayed all over them though. Jeez last night it was like a flashback to 1980s/1990s England games. Even English clubs in Europe now go almost entirely for the cross of St George flags.

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Must be mellowing as I wanted Zenit to absolutely batter them in 2008 final but last night wasn't really that bothered who won and was a bit disappointed for them to honest as the fans seemed in the main just to enjoy themselves.  Even though the videos from old players were a bit cringey telling them not smash shit up appreciated the effort to be honest. 

In a way glad they didn't win it as couldn't wrap my head around it being good for Scottish football as a whole really.  If they got into the CL group pot one I'd suspect they'd spunk the wedge on 'sexy' players like Ramsey rather than plucking youth from the SPL for a fee and/or playing their own prospects in meaningful games.  

I agree with this, I was cheering wildly when the 2008 team lost to Zenit. It might be me getting older or maybe that 2008 team was more dislikeable, either way I wasn't that bothered about last night. i had a tiny dig at my two friends by reminding them the dons are still the last scottish club to win a european trophy but that was it.

Rangers will still spunk whatever cash they have on non scots, as will celtic from now on because their rivalry is back with a bang, its win at all costs again.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Two cringeworthy things to pick out from last night's final.

First the Celtic fans across the social media feeling the need to scoff and gloat and belittle. Quite ridiculous as, without Rangers run to the Final, Celtic would not be in the Champions League (direct) next season.

AS I said in my post above, the OF rivalry is back with a bang, the UJ waving, armed forces day celebrations, Irish Flag waving, the belittling, gloating and generally being a fud will be with us forever more.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Watched the game with some of my Rangers supporting friends. Biggest disappointment that they never properly turned up. Dont think anybody could have argued had Frankfurt have been 2 up after 25 mins. After that the game did settle and Rangers had some chances. Goldson hugely to blame for the goal. No reason to leave that ball. Just deal with it.

Big thing for me is that Rangers continually suffer from not exposing young players to big games. Putting Lowry on would have been a big risk last nigjt but only because he hasnt been exposed to big games previously. He could easily have been used in Old Firm games or other league games this season. Starting with Wright and then having to bring on Davis and Arfield wouldnt have been neccesary if Lowry had been given more experience. And imo Lowry is a far better player than Wright and currently better than Davis or Arfield.

Arfield was a safe choice and it got Rangers exactlty that. No mistake but no magic to go and win in normal time.

Good post regarding the youth players. They seem to be happy to gamble with playing a player with a shocking injury record but not happy to gamble with a young potential star with no fear who loves the club he plays for.

Edited by vanderark14

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Hard to see Bassey bring here next season. I think McGregor, Barisic, Goldson, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Kent, Itten, Morelos and Sakala will all be away.

I expect Dutch, Croatians and Billy Gilmour on loan. 

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Ryan Kent will be thinking about that chance for the rest of his days 

Watching it again the ball looked to have gone behind before Roofe cut it back, so it may have been disallowed by VAR anyway.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Watching it again the ball looked to have gone behind before Roofe cut it back, so it may have been disallowed by VAR anyway.

Going by how wrong they got the other 2 var decisions if the ball did go out they would have still given the goal.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hard to see Bassey bring here next season. I think McGregor, Barisic, Goldson, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Kent, Itten, Morelos and Sakala will all be away.

I expect Dutch, Croatians and Billy Gilmour on loan. 

gilmour and Lowry versus McGregor and turnbull….  That would be fun