European Football 21/22 - Page 26 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think a few people are missing the point here (and some probably not even realising there is one). As far as I can see the point that is being made is that when Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 the financial disparity between the big leagues and the rest of us didn’t exists then.  Celtic’s achievement was phenomenal and should never be belittled however IF Rangers were to win it it would be done over coming a significant obstacle that wasn’t in place in 1967 (or in 72 when Rangers won the ECWC). 

Or???????

😉

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Fair play that Celtic beat inter in the final in 67, but they had an easy run to get there, Nantes, Zurich, Dukla…. Think even Hearts might manage that 😊

Careful now. 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Fair play that Celtic beat inter in the final in 67, but they had an easy run to get there, Nantes, Zurich, Dukla…. Think even Hearts might manage that 😊

You'll probably have to have a lie down too. 🤣🤣

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

How many foreigners did Celtic have? How many foreigners do Sevco have? And once again, it's the Europa Cup, the  "B" cup. No even the big Cup, which WE won.. One other very important fact. Celtic supporters were applauded in Lisbon, unlike the animals that destroyed Manchester.. Its amazing how many thick hieds you can have on a single message board. I need another lie doon..

28 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How many foreigners did Celtic have? How many foreigners do Sevco have? And once again, it's the Europa Cup, the  "B" cup. No even the big Cup, which WE won.. One other very important fact. Celtic supporters were applauded in Lisbon, unlike the animals that destroyed Manchester.. Its amazing how many thick hieds you can have on a single message board. I need another lie doon..

What are foreigners got to do with it?

Aren't you about to win the league title with a team made up of foreigners and a foreign manager?

Wasnt Henrick Larsson recently voted your greatest ever player?

yep, you definitely need a lie down. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

What are foreigners got to do with it?

Aren't you about to win the league title with a team made up of foreigners and a foreign manager?

Wasnt Henrick Larsson recently voted your greatest ever player?

yep, you definitely need a lie down. 

You are missing the whole point. Some folk were talking about big money transfers, budgets, bringing in foreign based players, that's the norm these days, which sevco has done, the Lisbon Lions did not.. How many trophies has sevco won this year? The Lions won every competition they entered that year including the BIG one , sevco have won fuck all. So to compare their impending Europa Cup win as bigger than the Lisbon Lions is pure insulting, and utter stupidity... I am wide awake by the way. This is disturbing. To even mention that Shithole mob sevco in the same sentence with the Lisbon Lions is an embarrasment to Scotland, and planet earth as we know it...

46 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Oh, the irony. 

Come on man. Better than the Lisbon Lions? They havnae even won a fuckin red ribbon so far this season.. They haven't even bettered Celtic vs Porto in the Europa Cup Final back in 04.. Is the DVD oot yet?? Hope yees get fuckin pumped the night !!!

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

You are missing the whole point. Some folk were talking about big money transfers, budgets, bringing in foreign based players, that's the norm these days, which sevco has done, the Lisbon Lions did not.. How many trophies has sevco won this year? The Lions won every competition they entered that year including the BIG one , sevco have won fuck all. So to compare their impending Europa Cup win as bigger than the Lisbon Lions is pure insulting, and utter stupidity... I am wide awake by the way. This is disturbing. To even mention that Shithole mob sevco in the same sentence with the Lisbon Lions is an embarrasment to Scotland, and planet earth as we know it...

You arent comparing like for like.

The vast majority of teams in the 50s and 60s were made up of local people or same nationals. This wasnt because Celtic chose to do anything special or different. It was a consequence of the times. If a club won something now with 11 same nationals then it would be a huge achievement.

Celtic winning the European Cup is and was huge. However they did so at a time when Scotland was a major footballing force and the vaat majority of countrys hadnt developed in a footballing sence. The list of teams they beat en route to the final shows that.

I dont believe Rangers will win the Europa League however I think the point some ppl are making is that it would be a huge acheivement against the backdrop of the current footballing landscape. Same as it would have been should Celtic have won in Seville.

Dumbarton won the 1st ever Scottish league. Was that a massive acheivement? Not really as there was only 12 teams competing. Them winning something now would be much greater. Surely you can see that line of thinking?

55 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Come on man. Better than the Lisbon Lions? They havnae even won a fuckin red ribbon so far this season.. They haven't even bettered Celtic vs Porto in the Europa Cup Final back in 04.. Is the DVD oot yet?? Hope yees get fuckin pumped the night !!!

Not one person is saying the current Rangers team is better than the Lisbon Lions. Not one. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The vast majority of teams in the 50s and 60s were made up of local people or same nationals. This wasnt because Celtic chose to do anything special or different. It was a consequence of the times. If a club won something now with 11 same nationals then it would be a huge achievement.

Celtic winning the European Cup is and was huge. However they did so at a time when Scotland was a major footballing force and the vaat majority of countrys hadnt developed in a footballing sence. The list of teams they beat en route to the final shows that.

I dont believe Rangers will win the Europa League however I think the point some ppl are making is that it would be a huge acheivement against the backdrop of the current footballing landscape. Same as it would have been should Celtic have won in Seville.

Dumbarton won the 1st ever Scottish league. Was that a massive acheivement? Not really as there was only 12 teams competing. Them winning something now would be much greater. Surely you can see that line of thinking?

Fair play...

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fair play...

You’re going to have to show me how you did that DS! 

24 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

You’re going to have to show me how you did that DS! 

Thing is, I agree how some make look at it from the way DS explained it. I do not agree with it. The Lisbon Lions were the greatest Scottish football side that ever graced a football pitch.. sevco winning the silver medal is not even close to what the Lions achieved...HH

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Thing is, I agree how some make look at it from the way DS explained it. I do not agree with it. The Lisbon Lions were the greatest Scottish football side that ever graced a football pitch.. sevco winning the silver medal is not even close to what the Lions achieved...HH

If Auchinleck Talbot won the Scottish Cup it would be a bigger achievement than Celtic winning the European Cup. Doesn’t make them a better team, or take anything away from Celtic’s achievement. 

I’ve been relatively confident during the week but the closer we get to kick off the more the doubts are creeping in. I could easily see us win 2-0 but I likewise wouldn’t be surprised if we lose by the same score line. I’d be a lot more confident with Morelos and Balogun in the team.