European Football 21/22 - Page 23 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

On 3/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, Och Aye said:

The Europa League is a tournament where teams from all over Europe take part.

Just to make you aware. I know Millwall fans won't be the slightest bit familiar with that 😜

🤣🤣 Fair dos, I'll take that one on the chin ..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

No away goals is a big plus now.

Should beat them by a few anyway.

The rule has meant away teams don't have to go for it now sadly.

Edited by kumnio

Braga are there for the taking if Rangers can get the team selection right. 

I think Van Bronckhorst was pressured into making changes after the Derby defeat. I didn't think they actually played badly against Celtic. If he started the same team. I think they would have won tonight. 

I'm surprised Aaron Ramsey didn't play. Brought to the club for the big games. Scores in an old firm. Dropped the next week for a European Quarter final. He looked all right for Wales 2 weeks ago in the highlights as well. 

I don't watch too many rangers games. I think Kamara was his replacement? Who gave possession away at least 3 times in the first half. Failed to get in the way of the initial disalowed goal. Was caught offside in attack. Was fouled and had no hold up play in general. Only into it marginally had an impact in the second half. 

Aribo, is in the Tom Rogic mould. He can hold the ball up, find a pass carry the entire team forward with a run. I rate him very highly. Van Bronckhorst dropped him and dropped that up field ball. 

Kent is always a threat but the entire team was camped in for long spells with good pressing by Braga. 

Kemar Roofe is natural centre forward. Despite playing poorly against Celtic he should not have been dropped. A third striker in 3 games. No continuity. Playing a 19 year old Manchester United loanee in a European Quarter final who's not a natural centre forward proved to be costly. 

Poor management but salvageable. No reason why they can't make the semi finals. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

20 minutes ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

Braga are there for the taking if Rangers can get the team selection right. 

I think Van Bronckhorst was pressured into making changes after the Derby defeat. I didn't think they actually played badly against Celtic. If he started the same team. I think they would have won tonight. 

I'm surprised Aaron Ramsey didn't play. Brought to the club for the big games. Scores in an old firm. Dropped the next week for a European Quarter final. He looked all right for Wales 2 weeks ago in the highlights as well. 

I don't watch too many rangers games. I think Kamara was his replacement? Who gave possession away at least 3 times in the first half. Failed to get in the way of the initial disalowed goal. Was caught offside in attack. Was fouled and had no hold up play in general. Only into it marginally had an impact in the second half. 

Aribo, is in the Tom Rogic mould. He can hold the ball up, find a pass carry the entire team forward with a run. I rate him very highly. Van Bronckhorst dropped him and dropped that up field ball. 

Kent is always a threat but the entire team was camped in for long spells with good pressing by Braga. 

Kemar Roofe is natural centre forward. Despite playing poorly against Celtic he should not have been dropped. A third striker in 3 games. No continuity. Playing a 19 year old Manchester United loanee in a European Quarter final who's not a natural centre forward proved to be costly. 

Poor management but salvageable. No reason why they can't make the semi finals. 

Agree with most of what you’ve said but think your mixing up Sakala with Dialo (the Man Utd loanee who didn’t get if the bench). 

That was a really poor team selection from Gio tonight. Roofe made a difference as soon as he came on and should have started instead of Sakala. Aribo has been out of form for some time so I get Arfield starting but Ramsey was our best player on Sunday and I can’t believe he didn’t start, especially after the manager confirming he’s 100% fit. 

33 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I ve a vague memory of bottles thrown on pitch at european tie in Scotland

Game replayed , and closed doors following season

anyone ?

It’s vague because it was nearly 40 years ago where that mentality belongs.

Hun response at its best, whataboutery, deflection and denial and when all else fails just ignore it cos no one in this country will do anything about it 😏

Edited by slasher

2 hours ago, slasher said:

It’s vague because it was nearly 40 years ago where that mentality belongs.

Hun response at its best, whataboutery, deflection and denial and when all else fails just ignore it cos no one in this country will do anything about it 😏

Denial ? thats a tad ironic ....

definitely not a hun though

6 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I ve a vague memory of bottles thrown on pitch at european tie in Scotland

Game replayed , and closed doors following season

anyone ?

That's a very silly point. Just because bottles were thrown in 40 years ago and no action was taken doesnt mean we should amend the rules to allow the SFA to take action in the future 

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That's a very silly point. Just because bottles were thrown in 40 years ago and no action was taken doesnt mean we should amend the rules to allow the SFA to take action in the future 

I’m coming round to sanctions. It’s the only way fans will be motivated to self police. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

My second sentence mentions the action taken at the time

tbh thought it a bit rich that one side of the arse cheek was so sanctimonious when having previous

the defence at the time was that said bottle didnt actually hit the player….

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The majority of the time it’s dull as ditchwater but this is some game at the Bernabeu between Real and Chelsea. 

😂 I just said on another thread how boring it was. I switched over at half time to the Scotland woman’s game.  Scoreline suggests it got better ….

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 I just said on another thread how boring it was. I switched over at half time to the Scotland woman’s game.  Scoreline suggests it got better ….

I only started watching it at the start of the second half so sounds like I didn’t miss anything. Real just equalised on aggregate with one of the best assists you’ll see anywhere from Modric. 

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I only started watching it at the start of the second half so sounds like I didn’t miss anything. Real just equalised on aggregate with one of the best assists you’ll see anywhere from Modric. 

No the first half wasn’t particularly great. Husband was watching it and when I saw it was 1-3  on aggregate I said to him why not turn it over to the Bayern game,  as I thought Real had it in the bag . Lasted 10mins then he noticed Chelsea had scored so turned it back. Wasnt that great so I said we could try the Scotland woman’s game. 
It was 0-1 and Scotland were coming back and I posted on another thread that we were doing quite well. Next second Spain has scored a second. 

I think next time I will just keep my mouth shut 😁

34 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

If villireal were to win the champions league how would that effect the co-efficient placings

Pretty sure if Villarreal win it whoever wins the Scottish title (Celtic) won’t automatically qualify for the group stages next season, assuming Villarreal don’t finish in the top 4 (currently 7th, 11 points behind). 

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Pretty sure if Villarreal win it whoever wins the Scottish title (Celtic) won’t automatically qualify for the group stages next season, assuming Villarreal don’t finish in the top 4 (currently 7th, 11 points behind). 

Villareal are this years token team. Punched above their weight but will run out steam in the next round or final. See spurs and ajax for recent examples. One of the super clubs will win this sham competition again

Fantastic first half from Rangers at Ibrox. 2-0 at HT, should be about 5. 1 up after 70 seconds, second after 4 minutes but (correctly) rules out by VAR for a handball in the buildup. The actual second coming from a Tav penalty (obvs) just before HT which saw the Braga CH sent off. Ours to throw away from here.