European Football 21/22 - Page 22 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Football 21/22

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Yaaaaay I can't wait for Rangers and celtic to get automatic qualification to the group stages. That's exactly what Scottish football needs.......an even bigger gap between the old firm and the rest🤣🤣🤣

Well whoever finishes third/wins the Scottish cup will get guaranteed group stage football for the next few years. They'll making £3 million+ for that alone before adding in wins/draw prize money, 10 year coefficient payment and gate receipts. Will be well over £5 million to whichever club it is.

If a team like Hearts finished third 3 years running with £15 million (and the right signings) they could massively improve their squads and challenge the duopoly. 

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Well whoever finishes third/wins the Scottish cup will get guaranteed group stage football for the next few years. They'll making £3 million+ for that alone before adding in wins/draw prize money, 10 year coefficient payment and gate receipts. Will be well over £5 million to whichever club it is.

If a team like Hearts finished third 3 years running with £15 million (and the right signings) they could massively improve their squads and challenge the duopoly. 

You're in dream land if you think any team will get close to the duopoly.

31 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

With good investment and proper recruitment it can happen. An extra £3 million spent a year on players and wages wisely can go a very long way. 

It's happened in other leagues who have 2/3 teams who usually dominate.

I don't think you realise the distance between the old firm and the rest

I was sent a link recently which demonstrated the gap.

For every £1 Motherwell spent in the season they finished third, celtic the champions spent over £15. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think you realise the distance between the old firm and the rest

I was sent a link recently which demonstrated the gap.

For every £1 Motherwell spent in the season they finished third, celtic the champions spent over £15. 

There is a massive gap but these gaps can be closed. Spend doesn't always equate quality.

Teams on a fraction of the budget of Celtic have regularly beat them in Europe. Bodo have a a smaller/similar budget to Aberdeen and walked through Celtic.

Norway also has a higher cost of living than Scotland. Makes their small spend even more impressive.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

There is a massive gap but these gaps can be closed. Spend doesn't always equate quality.

Teams on a fraction of the budget of Celtic have regularly beat them in Europe. Bodo have a a smaller/similar budget to Aberdeen and walked through Celtic.

Norway also has a higher cost of living than Scotland. Makes their small spend even more impressive.

Your comparing a knock out competition to a 38 match league season? 

Strange

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Your comparing a knock out competition to a 38 match league season? 

Strange

It's a comparison in the sense to show you that a lesser budget can go a very long way. A team with your clubs budget can easily dispatch Celtic, beat AZ Alkmaar and destroy Roma. 

They also went unbeaten in their league 2 seasons ago spending less than Rosenberg.

There is no reason that Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts after a few seasons of Europa League/conference group stages, improve their squads and close the gap a bit. Will they win it probably not but with a proper infrastructure and recruitment they can massively improve and get closer while enjoying big European nights every season. I really don't see the negative of us going higher in the coefficient table.

Trabzonspor are currently winning their league despite spending significantly less than multiple Turkish sides.

Leicester winning the league are another example of what a far smaller budget can do when you recruit properly.

40 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's a comparison in the sense to show you that a lesser budget can go a very long way. A team with your clubs budget can easily dispatch Celtic, beat AZ Alkmaar and destroy Roma. 

They also went unbeaten in their league 2 seasons ago spending less than Rosenberg.

There is no reason that Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts after a few seasons of Europa League/conference group stages, improve their squads and close the gap a bit. Will they win it probably not but with a proper infrastructure and recruitment they can massively improve and get closer while enjoying big European nights every season. I really don't see the negative of us going higher in the coefficient table.

Trabzonspor are currently winning their league despite spending significantly less than multiple Turkish sides.

Leicester winning the league are another example of what a far smaller budget can do when you recruit properly.

Bodo beat those clubs in one off ties, it's not a fair comparison because they are not playing sides of that calibre every week.

Leicester is often used but the difference between them and the elite in England is nothing compared to Scotland. When Liverpool won the league, Leicester finished fifth. For every £1 Leicester spent.....Liverpool spent £1.55. Compare that to what I told you earlier about the difference between the champions in Scotland and 3rd in the same season.

A few seasons in the group stages for hearts, aberdeen or any other club could consolidate 3rd and close the gap slightly but splitting the old firm or winning th title is nothing more than a dream

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

McGregor rolling back the years to keep Rangers in it. 

Fantastic achievement for a Scottish club to reach the last 8 in Europe these days 👍

I think Rangers and Celtic should be making the last 16 of this competition so until now I never saw it as achieving much but getting to the last 8 is impressive.

1 minute ago, Jersey Jim said:

Rangers away to Braga, if they get thru that then Leipzig or Atalanta in the Semi Final.

By the far best draw on quarter final we could've hoped for. They are a very good side but they are a level below everyone else in the draw. Just like they'll be happy they got us.

The semi final draw is probably the worst draw, no easy draw mind. 2 very good teams. I was hoping for West ham/Lyon. West Ham are good but not Liepzig/Atalanta and Lyon aren't great at the minute. I felt at Ibrox we gave them far too much respect.

3 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

Is there a way both can lose... 😉

#Millwalltillidie

The Europa League is a tournament where teams from all over Europe take part.

Just to make you aware. I know Millwall fans won't be the slightest bit familiar with that 😜

16 minutes ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

Rangers have consecutively reached the last 32/32/16 now Quarter Finals while only winning one trophy.

The behind closed doors championship. I hope it's hot in Braga. 

Edit. I'm celtic through and Through, Scottish football fan, and the odd Firhill for thrills! 

Rangers are making it look easy in Europe. Celtic need to up their game next season. They are embarrassing us. It's been great for the coefficient. Hearts or hibs will potentially have 3 legendary away trips for the scrapbook if they've got automatic qualifying. That's down to Rangers picking up the points. 

Celtic are, losing every knockout fixture since 2004. Its a dissapointing if you are a Celtic fan. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Every year I think, we could do this. Rangers fans are living the European dream. Respectfully schooling us in Europe. It's humiliating. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

22 hours ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

Edit. I'm celtic through and Through, Scottish football fan, and the odd Firhill for thrills! 

Rangers are making it look easy in Europe. Celtic need to up their game next season. They are embarrassing us. It's been great for the coefficient. Hearts or hibs will potentially have 3 legendary away trips for the scrapbook if they've got automatic qualifying. That's down to Rangers picking up the points. 

Celtic are, losing every knockout fixture since 2004. Its a dissapointing if you are a Celtic fan. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Every year I think, we could do this. Rangers fans are living the European dream. Respectfully schooling us in Europe. It's humiliating. 

Not sure if serious, but if so yer a fuckin basket case fella 🙄

West Ham celebrations were a complete fuckin embarrassment imo. I mean, I get the emotion from Yarmolenko but the pundits were painting this as some sort of triumph against the odds. 

Fuckin ridiculous nonsense considering the budget the cunts have 🙈

9 hours ago, slasher said:

West Ham celebrations were a complete fuckin embarrassment imo. I mean, I get the emotion from Yarmolenko but the pundits were painting this as some sort of triumph against the odds. 

Fuckin ridiculous nonsense considering the budget the cunts have 🙈

West Ham haven't been this far in Europe for a long  time, not sure of the exact time frame but it's been a while

I agreed to certain extent about budgets and I am sure you will feel the same way if celtic smash in a last minute Scottish cup winner against hearts 😉