Season 21/22 - Page 21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If Porteous connects with the ball with his foot then its not even a foul. As it was though he didnt, his foot was over the top of the ball, straightish leg and is a red card.

One of the worst things about fans and pundits is that they dont know the rules. They apply what they want the rules to be rather than what they are. 

Whether he makes contact with the ball or not is irrelevant, it’s still a foul and a sending off in either case. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If Porteous connects with the ball with his foot then its not even a foul. As it was though he didnt, his foot was over the top of the ball, straightish leg and is a red card.

One of the worst things about fans and pundits is that they dont know the rules. They apply what they want the rules to be rather than what they are. 

You clearly don't know the rules.  

Its a lunge and he is out of control IMO. I wouldn't really argue if he got away with a yellow, or received a red. Its most likely a red card though.

The OF Utd get a lot of dubious decisions, but this isn't one of them.

31 minutes ago, Debian said:

You clearly don't know the rules.  

If he gets the ball with his foot then he would be much more in control, his foot would be much lower and totally on the ground by the time he gets to Aribo.

Its the fact his foot goes over the ball with his leg still straight that makes it out of control and endangering Aribo.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If he gets the ball with his foot then he would be much more in control, his foot would be much lower and totally on the ground by the time he gets to Aribo.

Its the fact his foot goes over the ball with his leg still straight that makes it out of control and endangering Aribo.

So what you’re essentially saying is that if he tackles in a completely different way, leg not fully extended, not off the ground, his foot lower then it wouldn’t be a foul. 

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

So what you’re essentially saying is that if he tackles in a completely different way, leg not fully extended, not off the ground, his foot lower then it wouldn’t be a foul. 

What im saying is that when he goes into the challenge I believe he was going for the ball. The fact that he gets it wrong, effectively misjudging the roll of the ball is what ultimately results in the challenge being the way it was, which imo was a red. 

Its a very similar red to one in the EPL earlier in the season where the players foot skids up off the top of the ball and goes quite nasty into the other player. If the foot doesnt skip then its a good tackle however in that case, as it is in this, that didnt happen so its a red.

The point im making is that it wasnt the kind of challenge that was always going to be a red the minute he went to ground. If he times it better its not a foul. Problem for him was he didnt.

36 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Just checking Porteous playing history, he has about 35 yellow cards to add to his 3 red cards since he started as a 16yo. That works out at a card every 3 games. Think he's trying to get himself a reputation...

Or he’s just not very good. 

9 hours ago, duncan II said:

😄 
I hate them. I hate them so much. I hated the original club. I hated their bigotry, their horrible fans, their cheating. The spittle dribbling from their mouths. I hated the board, the management, everything.

then they died.

Then a new club began. And the bigoted, horrible, smelly fans with no club attached themselves to that new one. Now they have all the same failings and horribleness as the old one PLUS an added sense of grievance for some bizarre reason. 
I don’t drink. I hate them.

Impressive bile for being sober. Kudos to you 🤡

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a celtic team foul as much as that team did yesterday. 

You know there's something wrong when they have to foul so many times against shite dons team.

We're just no very good at tackling 😂

Re Porteous, I've no sympathy for him at all. He dives into challenges like that far too often. I keep hearing he's a young player and he'll learn but there's no sign of that so far. Stonewall red imo. 

I think the problem most fans will have is that we'll all have seen challenges like that where contact has been made but the appropriate action hasn't been taken this season. The most obvious one I could cite would be Halliday's potentially achilles snapping assault on Mcgregor on day one, deemed not even worthy of a yellow by Bobby Madhun. 🙄

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I think the problem most fans will have is that we'll all have seen challenges like that where contact has been made but the appropriate action hasn't been taken this season. The most obvious one I could cite would be Halliday's potentially achilles snapping assault on Mcgregor on day one, deemed not even worthy of a yellow by Bobby Madhun. 🙄

TBF, that tackle from Halliday is one which VAR definitely picks up on.

There was a cracking post on Fill Ma Goblet's site a few days ago that did a statistical analysis of fouls for/against both sides of the divide.  Apparently if you adjust for this, that and the next thing... factor in something else... and then make some other assumption then there's a clear high-level Masonic conspiracy against the Hoops.  As paranoid drivel goes it's up there with anything I've ever read.  How a club can win 12 trophies back to back with all the officials against them is a real mystery.  Haven't been back for a few days but I'm sure there'll be a post analysing the penalty Dundee United didn't get at Parkhead last week.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

We're just no very good at tackling 😂

Re Porteous, I've no sympathy for him at all. He dives into challenges like that far too often. I keep hearing he's a young player and he'll learn but there's no sign of that so far. Stonewall red imo. 

Porteous has made loads of dodgy tackles and he's reckless but that doesn't mean that he deserves red for that tackle. Each incident should be judged on its own merits and there was nothing wrong with his tackle imo. 

I agree that the consistency isn't good enough but I don't believe it's possible to achieve any kind of consistency that the fans would be happy with. Slide tackling is reckless in general. I see reckless and dangerous slide tackles in most games and they go unpunished. If certain refs are just deciding what they think is reckless and dangerous then slide tackling will just have to be banned altogether or else the game will never be consistently reffed fairly. 

19 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Just checking Porteous playing history, he has about 35 yellow cards to add to his 3 red cards since he started as a 16yo. That works out at a card every 3 games. Think he's trying to get himself a reputation...

He's rash and reckless but thats part of his game that makes him who he is. I have watched games where hes been excellent in snuffing out danger by charging in quickly and tackling, blocking/intercepting etc. He reads the game very well but he often charges in too rashly and too hard and if he was to slightly modify this part of his game he would be a brilliant centre back and would be destined for the EPL or another top league imo. 

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Porteous has made loads of dodgy tackles and he's reckless but that doesn't mean that he deserves red for that tackle. Each incident should be judged on its own merits and there was nothing wrong with his tackle imo. 

I agree that the consistency isn't good enough but I don't believe it's possible to achieve any kind of consistency that the fans would be happy with. Slide tackling is reckless in general. I see reckless and dangerous slide tackles in most games and they go unpunished. If certain refs are just deciding what they think is reckless and dangerous then slide tackling will just have to be banned altogether or else the game will never be consistently reffed fairly. 

It’s a red card all day long I’m afraid. He’s flying in and over the ball, that’s what makes it reckless. He moved the ball with his calf on the follow through, it’s a no brainer. 

23 hours ago, dandydunn said:

What happened here? 😂

It was supposed to quote big ramy saying "Approximate Punishment" or something,, I was asking what approximate punishment is? never heard of it,, dunno wit happened tho