What's Worse? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's Worse?

Caledonian Craig

Okay we are all hurting today after yesterday's bad 2-0 loss but it comes with another bad feeling.

Going into the tournament and the game there was this feeling of togetherness. A feeling of everyone right behind the team. A feeling of everyone rooting for us in the country and a feeling of great unity. Sadly, after 90 minutes and a result that has gone against us is the realism that those feelings seem fake. People looking to point fingers and blame players for our loss is not getting right behind the team. Realising everyone (Scots) weren't rooting for us when I see Scots on social media coming out with stuff like 'we were shite' and 'we should never have been there' and almost gloating at our loss. Certainly not unity. That is the really disappointing thing here and hurts just as much if not worse than the loss.

Frustration of causing our own downfall I would say.

We looked like we were starting to play different in the second half till the goalie sabotaged our efforts.

Not having a decent striker is a big problem , but then Poland , so there is that..

59 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay we are all hurting today after yesterday's bad 2-0 loss but it comes with another bad feeling.

Going into the tournament and the game there was this feeling of togetherness. A feeling of everyone right behind the team. A feeling of everyone rooting for us in the country and a feeling of great unity. Sadly, after 90 minutes and a result that has gone against us is the realism that those feelings seem fake. People looking to point fingers and blame players for our loss is not getting right behind the team. Realising everyone (Scots) weren't rooting for us when I see Scots on social media coming out with stuff like 'we were shite' and 'we should never have been there' and almost gloating at our loss. Certainly not unity. That is the really disappointing thing here and hurts just as much if not worse than the loss.

That's the biggest disappointment for me, almost as if people have been waiting for the team to make a mistake so they could gleefully stick the boot in again.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Probably the solution is to avoid social media till the weekend (TAMB excepted of course :whistling:) .

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree, Craig. There were mistakes yesterday and we should have a grown up discussion about those. However, I don't believe the team deserves the derision which has come its way. Annoying as it is, you just have to filter out the bullshit. I'm still feeling down, but am doing my best to ignore the most extreme, frankly silly opinions.

It is just that there seems to be a heck of a lot of freeloaders/turncoats which does not bring unity but just all front and BS. The last time we qualified for a major tournament (thankfully) there was no social media so you got shielded from all of that pish.

I mean I could guarantee if we did the unthinkable and won on Friday the exact same people would be back with a totally different outlook - typical fairweather fans.

I'm avoiding just about all media for the moment.

I'm not surprised by some of the responses. How often have you been at Hampden. sat beside some drunk bloke who rolled in after the anthems reeking of Tennents and p1sh, dressed head to toe in Highland regalia and with a saltire draped round him? He looks like your diehard but by the seventh minute he's yelling 'That's sh1te, Scotland!' and homing in on one player he doesn't like. It happens in real life, it happens on Soshul Meejah.

The real disappointment for me is the new, potential support, the people caught up in the reports (unconvincing to me) of 'quiet confidence in the camp', the folk who weren't around in 96 or 98, and especially the kids who got to watch that in school. Optimism, hope, all turned to ashes already in the unmistakeable Scottish way. Nothing new, just same old Scottish.

I've been pondering the 'place of birth' in my birth certificate, wondering if there's a  'Balornock Road, Glasgow' in Germany or Spain or Argentina...

Who cares Craig, ignore the noise - that's social media for you, and we all know that certain demographics of Scotland are going to pile in.

I'm feeling really positive about yesterday - much rather lose but create chances and think we have something to build on, than lose and create nothing and think we shouldn't be there. When was the last time we created that many chances against a decent team in a game that matters? We could just as easily have won 3-1 - we deserve to be there and the next 2 matches should be cracking.

Not just positive about the next week, but looking at the next 2, 4, 6 years as the squad builds up caps and experience...

Yesterdays result was a tough one - mainly because we actually played OK.
Had more possession and created more chances than Czechs : so Clarke clearly got something right.
The result hurts because we can play better - on a different day that game could have gone very differently.
It didn't...  therefore need to pick ourselves up for next game.

2 minutes ago, C Mc said:

Who cares Craig, ignore the noise - that's social media for you, and we all know that certain demographics of Scotland are going to pile in.

I'm feeling really positive about yesterday - much rather lose but create chances and think we have something to build on, than lose and create nothing and think we shouldn't be there. When was the last time we created that many chances against a decent team in a game that matters? We could just as easily have won 3-1 - we deserve to be there and the next 2 matches should be cracking.

Not just positive about the next week, but looking at the next 2, 4, 6 years as the squad builds up caps and experience...

Great post.

Positivity is needed going forward. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Couldnt agree more Craig I stopping reading twitter last night as the negativity is so draining. Im not on social media and only read twitter for news and whilst i loved it all the previous week with videos etc yesterday after game and last night showed why it gets such a bad press and I am glad I can personally not look at it if i choose. I can see from yesterday how it can really affect young people who basically live on it as it has a definite effect on your mood.

The country was so hyper and then bang it hurts and as i stated on another thread i really feel it for the young team who were all away to the pub and schools and their pals houses yesterday with their Scotland gear on, was emotional to see, and they have had a right boot in the b@lls.

But I am going to get positive again today and see the glory of beating England at Wembley and what that will do for us.

If anyone says no chance then lets really look at the facts and that is we had 19 attempts yesterday and have been doing that regularly recently and some of the chances if 1 goes in it really changes the game. I know its a case of what ifs but if we have as many chances at Wembley surely 1 will go in. 

If someone had said to you that if you get to a major tournament and have only 2 games against England at Wembley and Croatia at Hampden and you have to win only 1 of them to go through then you would be excited as F@ck. The chance to beat them in their own backyard and even if you dont you still have the chance to beat a team that have never beaten us at home to progress.

Plenty to look forward to so lets all put yesterday behind us and upwards and onwards.

We Are Scottish and a Proud footballing nation and we can never forget that or ever give up !!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Couldnt agree more Craig I stopping reading twitter last night as the negativity is so draining. Im not on social media and only read twitter for news and whilst i loved it all the previous week with videos etc yesterday after game and last night showed why it gets such a bad press and I am glad I can personally not look at it if i choose. I can see from yesterday how it can really affect young people who basically live on it as it has a definite effect on your mood.

The country was so hyper and then bang it hurts and as i stated on another thread i really feel it for the young team who were all away to the pub and schools and their pals houses yesterday with their Scotland gear on, was emotional to see, and they have had a right boot in the b@lls.

But I am going to get positive again today and see the glory of beating England at Wembley and what that will do for us.

If anyone says no chance then lets really look at the facts and that is we had 19 attempts yesterday and have been doing that regularly recently and some of the chances if 1 goes in it really changes the game. I know its a case of what ifs but if we have as many chances at Wembley surely 1 will go in. 

If someone had said to you that if you get to a major tournament and have only 2 games against England at Wembley and Croatia at Hampden and you have to win only 1 of them to go through then you would be excited as F@ck. The chance to beat them in their own backyard and even if you dont you still have the chance to beat a team that have never beaten us at home to progress.

Plenty to look forward to so lets all put yesterday behind us and upwards and onwards.

We Are Scottish and a Proud footballing nation and we can never forget that or ever give up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Again well said. I agree.

We win as a team and we lose as a team. Onwards and upwards.

I cannot stand the negative “same old Scotland” patter. If it was same old Scotland, we would be sitting watching a major tournament from our sofas wishing more than anything just to be involved! We are finally here and yes it was disappointing yesterday…but we’re far from out!

Losing a player of Tierney’s quality is a huge blow which no doubt filtered through the entire team, and while we’ve got some very good players we have a few that are out of their depth at that level. For me, one of our so-called big game players had a shocker yesterday, and it’s game like yesterday where I see why a lot of Man Utd fans don’t take to him. 
We all know O’Donnell isn’t international quality but some of the abuse he was getting yesterday from the stands was horrific… and it certainly doesn’t help.

The difference between the sides yesterday was they were more clinical and scored a goal from the half way line! We had more than enough chances, but in Dykes we’ve got a decent, but not top quality striker… in Schick the Czechs do. 

Edited by SWMM82

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I cannot stand the negative “same old Scotland” patter. If it was same old Scotland, we would be sitting watching a major tournament from our sofas wishing more than anything just to be involved! We are finally here and yes it was disappointing yesterday…but we’re far from out!

Losing a player of Tierney’s quality is a huge blow which no doubt filtered through the entire team, and while we’ve got some very good players we have a few that are out of their depth at that level. For me, one of our so-called big game players had a shocker yesterday, and it’s game like yesterday where I see why a lot of Man Utd fans don’t take to him. 
We all know O’Donnell isn’t international quality but some of the abuse he was getting yesterday from the stands was horrific… and it certainly doesn’t help.

The difference between the sides yesterday was they were more clinical and scored a goal from the half way line! We had more than enough chances, but in Dykes we’ve got a decent, but not top quality striker… in Schick the Czechs do. 

Spot on. Sadly, some cannot see that. To me it is clear we lack a true international class striker. Adams perhaps has more to offer than Dykes in attack and should start against England.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on. Sadly, some cannot see that. To me it is clear we lack a true international class striker. Adams perhaps has more to offer than Dykes in attack and should start against England.

Yeah can understand Dykes starting for his height and aerial ability and feeding off of second balls, but it was clear after about 15-20 mins that the centre halves had the measure of him.

Adams is definitely a level up and should start against England. 

3 hours ago, C Mc said:

Aye, that game could have finished 5-5 or anything in between. They took two of their chances and we didn't take any. If Robertson hadn't missed that sitter early on, the game might have turned out very different? He was our best player yesterday, and if our best player can't hit a barn door from 20 yards then we are always going to struggle to win games.

What I really hate about the social media era is the knee-jerk hot take culture it has fostered. Speaking as a heavy Twitter user this is unavoidable on there no matter how hard you work to curate your Time Line. There doesn't really seem to be a place for measured, sensible conversation anymore (maybe here ha ha). After the defeat yesterday the predictable "Scotland are shite" mob were out and about in force. If we had won there would have been a section of folks seriously believing we would be turning over the Italians at Wembley on July 11 and lifting the trophy. The truth as always is closer to the middle in both senses. Ignore the huge negativity, watch some fitba over the rest of the week, read some quality articles, whatever makes you happy and it will be Friday night before you know it. We will get behind the team once again and see what plays out. Mon Scotland, we're still with you! 

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It pisses me off ppl saying we shouldn't be there or they would rather we didn't qualify. Fuck that, we made it to a tournament, that's brilliant imo and it got the monkey of our back. The jobs no longer a poisoned chalice for potential new managers. We have some decent young players as well for the future. 

We need to look at the positives. 

24 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

What I really hate about the social media era is the knee-jerk hot take culture it has fostered. Speaking as a heavy Twitter user this is unavoidable on there no matter how hard you work to curate your Time Line. There doesn't really seem to be a place for measured, sensible conversation anymore (maybe here ha ha). After the defeat yesterday the predictable "Scotland are shite" mob were out and about in force. If we had won there would have been a section of folks seriously believing we would be turning over the Italians at Wembley on July 11 and lifting the trophy. The truth as always is closer to the middle in both senses. Ignore the huge negativity, watch some fitba over the rest of the week, read some quality articles, whatever makes you happy and it will be Friday night before you know it. We will get behind the team once again and see what plays out. Mon Scotland, we're still with you! 

Yeh it's either we are shite or World champions, either way it's far from the truth. We are an average side who have potential to be a bit better. 

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It pisses me off ppl saying we shouldn't be there or they would rather we didn't qualify. Fuck that, we made it to a tournament, that's brilliant imo and it got the monkey of our back. The jobs no longer a poisoned chalice for potential new managers. We have some decent young players as well for the future. 

We need to look at the positives. 

For me if we qualify from here it's a minor miracle and everyone would obviously be head over heels.  We really need to protect the progress we've made though and not end the campaign with our tails between our legs leading to a hangover in the WC campaign.  

I'd take a couple of competitive performances over the next two games which we can take into the WC qualifiers in the hope of being involved in those for as long as possible.  That would then follow into the next Euros which we really should aim to qualify for in its present format every time and who knows what players could be coming through at that point with our current best players then at their peak with tournament experience.  

7 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For me if we qualify from here it's a minor miracle and everyone would obviously be head over heels.  We really need to protect the progress we've made though and not end the campaign with our tails between our legs leading to a hangover in the WC campaign.  

I'd take a couple of competitive performances over the next two games which we can take into the WC qualifiers in the hope of being involved in those for as long as possible.  That would then follow into the next Euros which we really should aim to qualify for in its present format every time and who knows what players could be coming through at that point with our current best players then at their peak with tournament experience.  

I meant qualify for the tournament. 

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think the biggest hindrance to qualifying for the next round is not that we lost, but that we lost 2 nil. That goal may be the difference IF, and I know that's asking much but I believe we can finish 3rd, we finish 3rd from being a top 3rd place team or not. There's tons of football to be played, we need 6 preferably, 4 points possibly enough and 3 is almost certainly coming down to GD. We will be up for it on Friday and so too will the English. The Danes lost, Spain drew so other teams that you would expect to improve will. 

We all knew that a certain demographic(s) were rooting for the Czechs, and will be rooting for England and Croatia. It's not new. I'm of a vintage that remembers Ian Ferguson saying to a Scotland team mate "Don't applause those dickheads" (not verbatum) So theres a history of Scots not supporting our fans or/and our team.

As for social media, it gives opinion to the people whose opinion isn't worth consideration. One of the reasons I'm not on it.

The positives? They're jealous. We're there. We're rubbing shoulders with the glitterati of football and they want to spoil it for us.

The people of the TAMB might bicker and argue like cat and dog, but it's times like this, when our backs are to the wall, that they must be as one... and support each other as well as Steve Clarke and the Scotland squad and everyone involved with them