No youth, no glory... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No youth, no glory...

Big Ramy 1314

Why? Why?   Three boys sitting on the bench.. Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull.....  Three young attacking exciting players.. Other coaches, countries, give them the go? Pele, Whiteside, Rooney, Aguero?  Why do we not just give them a go????  Fuckin does ma head in..  if your good enough, then play them.. Fuck this "well they got us here"... I dont give a fuck !!!!! They are professional footballers. It's about playing for your country..... You all know what I mean.....  Scotland Forever...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I would say SO'D is better defensively than Patterson. Who would you say Turnbull is better than - McTominay, McGinn or Armstrong. Agree that Gilmour should be getting a start. 

Agree. Just hurting at the moment.. Gilmour and Patersson have to start against england... Attack, attack, attack, or it will get messy... COME ON THE BONNIE SCOTLAND !!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Agree. Just hurting at the moment.. Gilmour and Patersson have to start against england... Attack, attack, attack, or it will get messy... COME ON THE BONNIE SCOTLAND !!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I’m sorry but I think O Donnell is garbage. Probably a nice a bloke but absolutely no where near international class. I don’t even think he’s decent defensively. 

Paterson is young but at least he actually offers something. Pace, trickery. Just something for defenders to think about. 

Don’t even get me started on Gilmour. Potentially the best prospect we have had in years. Yet sitting on the bench. Joke 

Surely if you play 3 at the back you need wing backs that offer something offensively? Robertson works well but SOD offers nothing going forward on the right side and he’s not exactly solid in defense. It was clear as day in the past and vs Luxembourg. Forrest or Patterson would surely bring a better balance to the team.

It’s easy to have a post game autopsy but I feel the manager made some seriously bad calls today - selection and shape.

I get the feeling we will only see the younger players against Croatia and it will likely be too late by then to make a difference.

17 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Surely if you play 3 at the back you need wing backs that offer something offensively? Robertson works well but SOD offers nothing going forward on the right side and he’s not exactly solid in defense. It was clear as day in the past and vs Luxembourg. Forrest or Patterson would surely bring a better balance to the team.

It’s easy to have a post game autopsy but I feel the manager made some seriously bad calls today - selection and shape.

I get the feeling we will only see the younger players against Croatia and it will likely be too late by then to make a difference.

This.

22 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Anyone else noticed in our last couple of games players don't pass often to O'Donnell when he is the best option offensively. I don't know if it is subconscious or tactical but it was noticeable at times today and very noticeable against Luxembourg.

They'd either go themselves or switch to the left.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

52 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Forrest would be a better option than O'Donnell but it's a sair fecht playing that position, and I wonder if he is fit enough yet to play there for a decent length of time.

It was a surprising team selection, no doubt about it.  I'm not his biggest fan but dropping McGregor, a mainstay of the team, and playing McGinn in his position rather than further forward, where he is more effective, was a strange decision.  I know he often plays there for Aston Villa but he has Jack Grealish playing just in front of him - we had no such creator playing in that area of the park.

I like Stuart Armstrong but for me he's better as an impact sub, where he can use his pace to run with the ball.

30 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Anyone else noticed in our last couple of games players don't pass often to O'Donnell when he is the best option offensively. I don't know if it is subconscious or tactical but it was noticeable at times today and very noticeable against Luxembourg.

They'd either go themselves or switch to the left.

Well, Jack Hendry certainly didn't anyway. 🙄

10 hours ago, Ak91 said:

Where does the “O’Donnell is better defensively” myth come from? He played for a team that fought relegation in the Scottish premiership last season. 

so single handedly he would shore up the Motherwell defence 😀

if you have seen any games involving Patterson and any games involving O'Donnell, O'Donnell is the better defender. I am afraid that is the current reality of the situation - if you consider that to be a myth then I would say you are not approaching the issue rationally. 

10 hours ago, Mitre said:

The one cross he did put in was utterly lamentable - no pace on the ball whatsoever.  A striker would've needed the neck muscles of a fkin orangutan to do anything with it.

That one in the first half where he ran into Christie - fck me.  I knew it was going to be bad when his first touch ran through his legs and out.  I've always liked the guy but he served up some dross yesterday.  Can't possibly be considered for Wembley going by that display.

I said before the tournament started we wouldn’t get out of the group without taking a risk on the untested players. 

This notion that Patterson can’t defend is nonsense. He’s played high end Europa league and Old Firm games. SOD froze and not for the first time. 

The default position is not qualify, or we take a risk. 

On 6/14/2021 at 9:21 PM, Malcolm said:

Turnbull is nothing special.  Would have made fuk all difference today.  We actually played not too bad but we are not clinical.

He might have been able to deliver a half-decent corner or free-kick, two things we struggled with on Monday.

53 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

To be fair I might have had him ahead of Christie who looks poor just now.

Aye, Christie's out of form at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last we've see of him at this tournament.

Guest ElChris04
On 6/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, daviebee said:

The one cross he did put in was utterly lamentable - no pace on the ball whatsoever.  A striker would've needed the neck muscles of a fkin orangutan to do anything with it.

That one in the first half where he ran into Christie - fck me.  I knew it was going to be bad when his first touch ran through his legs and out.  I've always liked the guy but he served up some dross yesterday.  Can't possibly be considered for Wembley going by that display.

Pretty much my entire thoughts on it. It was brutal to watch. He’s just too big a liability and doesn’t offer anything near enough at the level to be considered going into the England game. Whatever Clarke goes with wether it be Forrest or giving Patterson his chance. I just hope it’s one or the other if he continues with the 3-5-2. 

Edited by ElChris04

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

Pretty much my entire thoughts on it. It was brutal to watch. He’s just too big a liability and doesn’t offer anywhere near enough at the level to be considered going into the England game. Whatever Clarke goes with wether it be Forrest or giving Patterson his chance. I just hope it’s one or the other. 

Yeh gotta agree with all of that. 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Pretty much my entire thoughts on it. It was brutal to watch. He’s just too big a liability and doesn’t offer anything near enough at the level to be considered going into the England game. Whatever Clarke goes with wether it be Forrest or giving Patterson his chance. I just hope it’s one or the other if he continues with the 3-5-2. 

Clarke has a big decision to make there.  Playing Patterson, a 19-year-old who's played fewer than 25 senior games in his career in a crucial game against the group favourites, could make or break him.

Personally, I'd go with Forrest, but I suspect Clarke will stick with O'Donnell.