dandydunn

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Hendry made the wrong choice, there's no doubt about it.  Passing it to O'Donnell, who was in space to his right, was the easiest, most obvious choice.  Yes, he'd had a good shot saved a few minutes earlier but he had a clear sight of goal on that occasion; he didn't this time.

That said, it's not all on him.  Shots get blocked in that area of the pitch all the time and come to nothing. Unfortunately, on this occasion, it bounced extremely fortuitously into the path of a Czech player.  And what Marshall was doing so far out of his area, goodness only knows.

Yes, shots get blocked and they were very fortunate that it broke to one of their players and let’s not forget it’s a fantastic finish.  However, Hendry shouldn’t really be in that position in the first place and finding himself in that position he should be looking for the simple, least risk option which is to play the ball into the space in front of O’Donnell for him to run onto and get a cross in.

This picture highlights it.  When the ball breaks, the Czechs have a two v two, with Hanley and Cooper both well over.  The ball is roughly where a covering defender should be and that covering defender should be Hendry.  

B297123A-4AF3-4ED5-A691-D7D8398F2253.thumb.jpeg.ba56c6ba36ec5591da11be02e9c194e4.jpeg

For me, it was only a poor decision in hindsight - yes a pass right was the better option and i keep shouting for the pass in my head, but only because of what happened next - there is no reasonable scenario where you'd expect that shot to lead directly to a goal from the halfway line. 

We were piling on the pressure at that point and had just had 2 close things - why not shoot? He'd just found his range...force a save, get a rebound, keep the crowd roaring etc. And....SO'D could easily have sent in a duff cross and we'd have been criticising JH for not shooting đŸ™‚

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Yes, shots get blocked and they were very fortunate that it broke to one of their players and let’s not forget it’s a fantastic finish.  However, Hendry shouldn’t really be in that position in the first place and finding himself in that position he should be looking for the simple, least risk option which is to play the ball into the space in front of O’Donnell for him to run onto and get a cross in.

This picture highlights it.  When the ball breaks, the Czechs have a two v two, with Hanley and Cooper both well over.  The ball is roughly where a covering defender should be and that covering defender should be Hendry.  

B297123A-4AF3-4ED5-A691-D7D8398F2253.thumb.jpeg.ba56c6ba36ec5591da11be02e9c194e4.jpeg

For me I've no real issue with him getting up the pitch as that seems to be the only way this formation works or its too easy to suffocate our midfield - the three centre backs just launching it at Dykes or being allowed to pass to SOD so the opposition could press it back high up the pitch was frustrating to watch.  If that is Plan B for an injury prone Tierney we're up an effluent tributary without a means of manual kinetic propulsion.  

Agree totally though that once SOD hasn't filled in and instead twisted he is the out ball all day - Hendy simply can't lose it with his man 30 yards behind him with a clean run on goal.  It's stuff folk playing in decent pub teams know let alone at a major international tournament.  It's got nowt to do with luck either - the reason he shouldn't be shooting is precisely because there is a chance it breaks to their players on a 2 v 2.  

The goal was Marshall's fault.  I don't see how it can even be up for debate.

1. He's not going to join in with the attack.

2. He's not going to challenge an onrushing striker way out there.

So... WTF was he doing?  He stays where a keeper should be and that goal just doesn't happen.  It absolutely beggars belief.  He's completely fked his teammates over.  1 down and putting pressure on is a hell of a lot different than trying to chase a 2-goal deficit that can very quickly become worse when you're committed to going forward.  I hope they had another conga going in the dressing room with that fkin idiot on the deck and them all booting his arse as they went past.

13 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m with DD. I’d imagine everyone watching was shouting/hoping/expecting Hendry to square it to the right when the ball broke to him. That being said it would have went to O’Donnell who I’m sure would still have found a way to play the Czech boy in. 

Actually, in the stadium it felt more like Hendry was being encouraged  to take the shot on, which is why fans are not always your 12 th man. 

But Marshall was far more at fault IMO. 
Watching him so far off his line trying to get back was like a disaster being played out in slow motion .  Truly crushing. 

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For me I've no real issue with him getting up the pitch as that seems to be the only way this formation works or its too easy to suffocate our midfield - the three centre backs just launching it at Dykes or being allowed to pass to SOD so the opposition could press it back high up the pitch was frustrating to watch.  If that is Plan B for an injury prone Tierney we're up an effluent tributary without a means of manual kinetic propulsion.  

Agree totally though that once SOD hasn't filled in and instead twisted he is the out ball all day - Hendy simply can't lose it with his man 30 yards behind him with a clean run on goal.  It's stuff folk playing in decent pub teams know let alone at a major international tournament.  It's got nowt to do with luck either - the reason he shouldn't be shooting is precisely because there is a chance it breaks to their players on a 2 v 2.  

Spot on.  Part of his role is to join in with midfield play on occasions, but as an auxiliary holding midfielder, so the emphasis should always be on keeping it simple, except where there's a clear opportunity to do something a bit more adventurous.

It is a learning experience for us. We might get away with that kind of nonsense against also-rans in the qualifiers but at this level, even against so-so teams like the Czechs, we'll be punished.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

So... WTF was he doing?  He stays where a keeper should be and that goal just doesn't happen.  It absolutely beggars belief.  He's completely fked his teammates over.  1 down and putting pressure on is a hell of a lot different than trying to chase a 2-goal deficit that can very quickly become worse when you're committed to going forward.  I hope they had another conga going in the dressing room with that fkin idiot on the deck and them all booting his arse as they went past.

đŸ¤£

Poor David Marshall, that picture of him writhing around in the back of his goal like a 6'4" Scottish fish in a Spanish trawlerman's net is going to haunt him.  I thought he had a good game apart from that, but I wonder if he'll be left out of the next one.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Poor David Marshall, that picture of him writhing around in the back of his goal like a 6'4" Scottish fish in a Spanish trawlerman's net is going to haunt him.  I thought he had a good game apart from that, but I wonder if he'll be left out of the next one.

Inevitable I would have thought. Obviously, Clarke will assess his mindset over the next couple of days but I'd say there is an excellent chance Gordon will come in. Another for the chop will be O'Donnell but I would not bank on Gilmour starting. In fact I wouldn't rule out McGregor coming back in.

How is this even up for debate.

The fault lies at Marshall. Look how far forward he is.

Yes, Hendry was a bit ball greedy and he had better options, but let's mind - he scored from a similar distance against Holland and hit the bar yesterday. He's more than entitled to have a crack from there.

IF being kind, you could say the blame is 5% Hendry, 95% Marshall's fault.

Edited by weekevie04

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

That’s the most 100% bang on comment I’ve read on here in a long time. 

Also hilarious too, well done. 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Inevitable I would have thought. Obviously, Clarke will assess his mindset over the next couple of days but I'd say there is an excellent chance Gordon will come in. Another for the chop will be O'Donnell but I would not bank on Gilmour starting. In fact I wouldn't rule out McGregor coming back in.

It's an unenviable position Clarke is in when it comes to selecting his goalie for the next game. Does he go with the 36 year-old who made an error that cost a goal in the previous game, or the 38-year-old who made an error that cost a goal four years ago against our next opponents?

I feel a bit sorry for O'Donnell too, he's clearly been promoted above his ability. I can't be angry at him about that, he's just trying his best. Unfortunately, the only other viable options for that position are Forrest, who has been injured most of this season and probably still isn't fully fit; Palmer, who isn't any better than O'Donnell and has been left out anyway; and Patterson, a teenager who has played fewer than 25 senior games.

I think we all wanted Gilmour to start yesterday but I was very surprised not to see McGregor start. We looked a bit better after he came on, I felt, which goes to show how dysfunctional the midfield was!

37 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Spot on.  Part of his role is to join in with midfield play on occasions, but as an auxiliary holding midfielder, so the emphasis should always be on keeping it simple, except where there's a clear opportunity to do something a bit more adventurous.

It is a learning experience for us. We might get away with that kind of nonsense against also-rans in the qualifiers but at this level, even against so-so teams like the Czechs, we'll be punished.

đŸ¤£

He made some decent saves Tbf. 

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's an unenviable position Clarke is in when it comes to selecting his goalie for the next game. Does he go with the 36 year-old who made an error that cost a goal in the previous game, or the 38-year-old who made an error that cost a goal four years ago against our next opponents?

I feel a bit sorry for O'Donnell too, he's clearly been promoted above his ability. I can't be angry at him about that, he's just trying his best. Unfortunately, the only other viable options for that position are Forrest, who has been injured most of this season and probably still isn't fully fit; Palmer, who isn't any better than O'Donnell and has been left out anyway; and Patterson, a teenager who has played fewer than 25 senior games.

I think we all wanted Gilmour to start yesterday but I was very surprised not to see McGregor start. We looked a bit better after he came on, I felt, which goes to show how dysfunctional the midfield was!

Our good performances against Serbia and the netherlands had mcgregor in the centre midfield. Maybe just coincidence but I think he's underappreciated and we play better with him in there.

52 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You're right it  should defo be seen as a learning experience and expecting the team to win their first tournament game in 23  years against a team who've qualified for every Euros from 96 was a tough ask in hindsight.  It goes all the way up to Clarke who was presumably happy for Marshall to stand there given their striker commented he was watching for it.  

Hate the phrase but it comes down to moments - Hendry rolls that ball to SOD and in the breakdown of the game the next day Schlick would be getting pelters for not tracking him as he's the whole of the wing in front of him.  Instead how it panned out really just showed our naivety at this level. 

Marshall's positioning seems beyond reason and is the main driver for the goal but even if he was rooted to his line Schlick has 60 yards in front of him with Hanley likely to need at best to challenge last man after a foot race.  Marshall's positioning, Clarke  allowing it, Hendry shooting with his man wide open 30 yards behind him and; SOD not deciding quickly enough to get up the line for Hendry to see him or just decide to tuck in covering Schlick are all factors in the goal.  A lot of that stuff probably comes with experience as we were on top with 40 minutes to go so could have managed the risks we were taking better.      

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would still have him ahead of Gordon,but I wish McLaughlin had taken over from the two of them 6 months ago. 

Mclaughlin has never played at a high enough club level that could justify him starting over Gordon or Marshall. 

20 hours ago, Marky said:

The state of this.Â đŸ¤£

Not enough that you act like a two year old who’s had his toys confiscated on the match thread, you actually feel the need to start a new thread to berate a young lad for having a shot at goal. 
Unbelievable. 

đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚ Incredible stuff.

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mclaughlin has never played at a high enough club level that could justify him starting over Gordon or Marshall. 

I don't think how good you were 5 or 10 years ago shoul be relevant. Not sure how hearts fans compare him to Gordon in the championship but I know plenty Rangers fans who are more than happy to have a keeper of Mclaughlins ability on the bench as back up. 

Anyway it's too late now, as I said he should have been looked at sooner. 

International goalkeeper coachs  should be able to decide who's best so my opinion is pretty pointless

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

He made some decent saves Tbf. 

Correct, he did.  However, so did Jim Leighton against Brazil in 1990, yet he still ended up in a similar position as Marshall yesterday - literally, flailing around in the back of his net - and didn't get another cap for four years.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Our good performances against Serbia and the netherlands had mcgregor in the centre midfield. Maybe just coincidence but I think he's underappreciated and we play better with him in there.

I agree with this too. He's maybe not the most exciting player but he can retain possession and keep things ticking over.

50 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't think how good you were 5 or 10 years ago shoul be relevant. Not sure how hearts fans compare him to Gordon in the championship but I know plenty Rangers fans who are more than happy to have a keeper of Mclaughlins ability on the bench as back up. 

Anyway it's too late now, as I said he should have been looked at sooner. 

International goalkeeper coachs  should be able to decide who's best so my opinion is pretty pointless

Mclaughlin doesn't currently play at a higher level than Marshall. In fact he doesn't play at all apart from a couple of appearances here and there so mcgregor can rest. Laughable that you suggest he should start ahead of 2 guys who have spent their whole careers at a level above him. Also Gordons only in the championship through choice and emotional attachment, he could of easily went to an spl or English  league 1 team if he wanted. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Absolutely correct. He is the guy who ties our midfield together. He is no world beater, but he is the best we have got at doing that underappreciated job. He has been a wee bit off form over his last few games, but he would still be my first pick in midfield every game, if he is fully fit. It was obviously a blow for us to lose Tierney but I was more concerned that he had decided not to play McGregor. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Against Serbia he had Ryan Jack next to him to cover and play off of each other. They seem to complement each other well.

Against Holland it was a solid team performance but I didn't think McGregor was very good tbh.

Just now, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Against Holland it was a solid team performance but I didn't think McGregor was very good tbh.

And Armstrong got man of the match award. Netherlands were a team of similar quality to Czechs so it is why he got the nod. He is more creative and we need all the creativity we can get in midfield. Biggest disappointment for me in midfield was McTominay.