Your first XI vs England - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first XI vs England

Taylor1996

10 minutes ago, exile said:

I'm sure we'd all love for him to start, and rise to the occasion. We may even need it. I'm just a little cautious!

Yeah, I gotcha.

I honestly cannot wait for him to be thrown in at the deep end. Of all the youngsters (Turnbull, Patterson and Gilmour) Gilmour is the only one I feel is ready.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's a good point.

In terms or press-resistance (dealing with playing pressing him) he's miles ahead of players like Fleck, Armstrong or McGregor and even McTominay. And that's not even mentioning his passing ability and technical ability.

I think he's good enough and mature enough to deal with the whole country piling pressure on him. 

When you have Roy Keane saying that he looks like a world class player, it says a lot.

You think he is good enough and mature enough yet our manager doesn't think he is worth a decent run out in a couple of friendlies. Says it all really.

49 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You think he is good enough and mature enough yet our manager doesn't think he is worth a decent run out in a couple of friendlies. Says it all really.

I'm still surprised by he didn't start the Luxembourg match.

Hopefully he goes out on loan for the whole of next season. I don't think it matters which country he goes to, he'd stroll any league.

I'm not sure why so many think we'll be spending the game pegged back by England. I think if we play the right players we may be able to control more of the possession than would normally be the case. 

I remember the last time we went down to Wembley and we were played off the park in our pink tops without even laying a punch on them. Even in the 2-2 we didn't really look like scoring until Griffiths stepped up in the last minute or two. I think in both games the English players looked at our team sheet, saw a bunch of Celtic players they did know much about and assumed they would control the game. 

If they play the same midfield, they potentially have Rice, Mount and Phillips looking at McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour. If that's the case, they'll be expecting a game there without a doubt. That relative lack of assuredness might allow us to play Forrest or Fraser at right back and really take the game to them. I'd rather that than we sit back, let them have the ball and see if they can get past us.

Our strikers aren't great, but neither are their centre halfs. Where we really struggle on matching up to them is at right back. If O'Donnell starts, whoever is on their left will be screaming for the ball. They'll probably be as respectful of his level as this board has been over the last day or two. Paterson is a risk as he's so untested, but there's loads of teams playing teenagers (including England) so we maybe shouldn't be so cautious. All the same, if it was me, I'd play Forrest or Fraser on the right and really have a go at them in this one.

12 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I think I'd drop the three at the back for this one and assuming all are fit, go with:

Marshall

Tierney. Hanley. Cooper  Robertson

Fraser McTominay Gilmour McGinn

Adams. Dykes

Someone gets it😏

It's the only way we'll win. Backs to the wall if we get a lucky break and an early goal ain't gonna happen. Feck it I'm going to start another thread,  it's that important. 

Bemused by the number of people who want Armstrong dropped. I thought he was our best midfielder by far on Monday. 

Id go with the team I wanted to play on Monday: 

Gordon 

Hendry   Hanley    Tierney 

Forrest.                                  Robertson 

Mctominay  McGregor Armstrong 

McGinn  

Adams 

26 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Bemused by the number of people who want Armstrong dropped. I thought he was our best midfielder by far on Monday. 

Gordon 

McGinn  

Adams 

I would be very happy with that. Also thought Armstrong played well against the Czechs and was bemused he kept getting lumped in with Christie when folks were seeking to berate poor performances or anonymous players. 

re the line-up, I would prefer Gallagher over Hanley but not exactly a significant change or difference. 

I do wonder though whether we miss McTominay's passing to/through the midfield when he is not part of the back three. 

I actually think the team and shape we played vs the Czechs was far more suited to the England game.

Without Tierney at RCB the 532 becomes incredibly defensive. Especially with O'Donnell playing ahead of a more attack minded wingback.

O'Donnell has his defensive use, but there is really no point in playing him when we are playing 3 ultra defensive CBs like we did in the Czech game. I'd possibly play him v England, but no way would I play him against Croatia.

Marshall 

Patterson.   Hanley.  Tierney   Robertson.  

Gilmour.  McTominay.  

Forrest.            McGinn.            Armstrong 

Adams

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Gordon 

McGinn  

Adams 

It's not saying much but he was the best of the midfield by far and he can be a goal threat. McTominay didn't look as if he knew what his role was and McGinn does what he always does when he's struggling games and doesn't want to take responsibility and that's stick his fat arse in the air and try and win free kicks.

A lot depends on whether Tierney is fit. If not then I'd play McTominay as the right sided centre back. Czechs knew that none of our centre backs were going to hurt them so could drop in and let the 3 of them pass it sideways before eventually launching it up to dykes. 

Also need two midfielders that can take the ball from the centre backs. Mcgregor gets a lot of stick on here but we looked a better side when he came on. 

Marshall

Forrest

Hanley 

Cooper 

Tierney 

Robertson 

McTominay 

Mcgregor 

Mcginn 

Fraser 

Adams 

If Tierney isn't fit then drop McTominay to centre back and bring in Gilmour in midfield 

35 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Also need two midfielders that can take the ball from the centre backs. Mcgregor gets a lot of stick on here but we looked a better side when he came on.

Some players looked a bit nervous in the first half, but we still played decent football. Then 2nd half, we changed it up all over the park and created even more chances. I'm not having a dig at McGregor, but I don't think he was the catalyst to improving in the 2nd half. In fact, I'm sure he gave away the ball a couple of times under very little pressure. 

We don't need 2 midfielders to take the ball from the defenders. 1 is plenty. And that player should be Gilmour. 

Edited by Tartan blood

Marshall 

Hanley Cooper Tierney 

Fraser                                  Robertson 

Gilmour    

McTominay     McGinn

Dykes   Adams

Screw the double-pivot. Put Gilmour in the anchor role, let him pull the strings and we have a chance. Plus two out and out strikers. 

53 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Hanley Cooper Tierney 

Fraser                                  Robertson 

Gilmour    

McTominay     McGinn

Dykes   Adams

Screw the double-pivot. Put Gilmour in the anchor role, let him pull the strings and we have a chance. Plus two out and out strikers. 

Probably a year or two too soon, could be in place for the next Euro's though.

Mind you starting to prepare for Euro 2024 now might be an idea.

31 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If results go against in September, I'd just start preparing a team to qualify for EURO 24.

Ditch some of the more limited or older squad players and bring in some of our younger players.

One of the goalies,O'Donnell, Gallagher, Fleck, McLean (he'll probably be back post EURO's), Taylor, etc

Replace them with Clark (he's atleast playing weekly and at a better level than Gordon)

Rooney (Not perfect but his massive improvement should be rewarded)

Gauld (should've been at the EURO's)

Ferguson (he still has a bit to go but McLean/Fleck are mostly there to make up the numbers, why not give training time to a good young player, we did this with McGinn and are now being rewarded for it)

Hickey/Doig (Taylor is literally there to make up the numbers, he is there so we can have 11 Vs. 11 in training as Tierney is CB in training. Why not give his training and squad time to 2 very promising young players, again we did this with Robertson and he came in straight away and made LB his).

Go the Wales route. Have a solid core but have a lot of younger players on the fringes and outskirts of the squad).

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Yeah. Never hurts to plan ahead.

Hopefully Gilmour starts in the next two matches. There's no reason why not, we all know that he's going to be our main man going forward.