Your first XI vs England - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first XI vs England

Taylor1996

In weeks of coaching in the build up to yesterday's game, I find it hard to believe that they didn't work on attacking strategies. You through, around or over - we seemed to want to go over and handled it far too easily. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

In weeks of coaching in the build up to yesterday's game, I find it hard to believe that they didn't work on attacking strategies. You through, around or over - we seemed to want to go over and handled it far too easily. 

A lot of that went out the window though when we lost Tierney. That was a massive blow. Our attacking strategies worked fine it was the clinical finishing that was lacking and was the only difference between the two sides.

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is our problem. Clarke has shored up our defence and made us more difficult to beat but we also suffer for a lack of goals in us. That was the clear difference between the sides yesterday whilst they had a striker capable of a moment of magic and great prowess in front of goal. We do not have that. Unless we keep a clean sheet then there is a good chance we will lose in games. That needs changed. The defence is sort of sorted we now need to look to add more of an attacking threat going forward. For me that means getting Gilmour into the side and trying to integrate Turnbull into the side plus Patterson. Will it happen? I don't think so.

I seem to remember playing the Czechs at Hampden, an otherwise poor and uncreative first half performance but Kenny Miller popped up to give us the lead. How many games did he carry us and nick results or points for us? We probably took it for granted that we could probably score against anyone on our day - Germany, Italy, Ukraine, Czechs....

I mean there were times in the past we created less but got job done via a first class striker. For now we seem to be creating the chances, at least. But who will put them away?

Edited by exile

8 minutes ago, exile said:

I seem to remember playing the Czechs at Hampden, an otherwise poor and uncreative first half performance but Kenny Miller popped up to give us the lead. How many games did he carry us and nick results or points for us? We probably took it for granted that we could probably score against anyone on our day - Germany, Italy, Ukraine, Czechs....

I mean there were times in the past we created less but got job done via a first class striker. For now we seem to be creating the chances, at least. But who will put them away?

Indeed that is our problem - a lack of an international class striker. It really hurts us. You need a clinical finisher. Look at Spain last night. They suffered with the same affliction and failed to get the win because of lacking a striker who can find the net. It isn't rocket science. 

Against lesser opposition Dykes and Adams will fall into their comfort zone and look highly capable but now we are dining with the big boys it is a different story. Perhaps having Tierney may have made a huge difference though. Who can say.

With the nature of this tournament we are far from out and need to pick ourselves up. We had 19 shots a goal ffs. That Dykes miss near the end was criminal, the Forrest one 9 times out of 10 it goes in. Big changes needed for Friday though. SOD looked like a rabbit in the headlights and just isn’t good enough at that level. He’ll do ok against the pot 5/6 sides but not in games like yesterday. I’d go with the below on Friday but for Patterson and Gilmour I think Clarke will pick Forrest and McGregor. We need Tierney back

Gordon

Patterson
Hendry
Hanley
Tierney
Robbo

Gilmour
McTominay
McGinn

Fraser
Adams

Get running at their defence as Mings isn’t that good and if they play Maguire he’ll not be any where near fit.

Zero chance of this being the line up but here goes;

Marshall

McTominay     Hanley       Tierney

Forrest              Gilmour                  McGinn        Robertson

Turnbull         Fraser

Adams

Folk wanting Forrest at RWB.  Considering we're hardly likely to be up the park very much we'd be better sticking Hendry out there and bringing in another central defender.

Some folk want Patterson.  Has he ever played in front of a crowd?  Foden's recently roasted Robertson so what might he do to Patterson if they move him across there?  And if they keep him on the right he'll have Sterling to contend with instead.

Can't remember feeling less positive about a match.

Gk: Gordon

LWB: Robertson

RWB: Paterson

CB: McTom, Cooper, Tierney

CM: Gilmour and McGregor

CAM: McGinn

CF: Fraser and Adams

I dont like the idea of Forrest vs one of Englands tricky wingers. Paterson although raw at times has decent pace and is pretty good in the tackle.

Im not a huge fan of McGreggor but I think for this game he would be a good steady head beside Gilmour.

Fraser and Adams can hurt them on the counter.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Folk wanting Forrest at RWB.  Considering we're hardly likely to be up the park very much we'd be better sticking Hendry out there and bringing in another central defender.

Some folk want Patterson.  Has he ever played in front of a crowd?  Foden's recently roasted Robertson so what might he do to Patterson if they move him across there?  And if they keep him on the right he'll have Sterling to contend with instead.

Can't remember feeling less positive about a match.

Feel pretty much the same, unless we can invent some new formation the world has never seen before on Friday to paper over our deficiencies.

Having said that I did predict 3-3 on the predictions thread if we changed our formation. 

I can't see many changes from Clarke tbh.

Tierney, McGregor and maybe Adams coming in for Cooper, Armstrong and Christie.

I think Clarke will stay loyal to O'Donnell. We won't be attacking a great deal and most of our attacks will come down the left. Clarke will probably prefer a solid defensive full back against England than an attacking FB in Patterson or a Winger in Forrest.

15 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I can't see many changes from Clarke tbh.

Tierney, McGregor and maybe Adams coming in for Cooper, Armstrong and Christie.

I think Clarke will stay loyal to O'Donnell. We won't be attacking a great deal and most of our attacks will come down the left. Clarke will probably prefer a solid defensive full back against England than an attacking FB in Patterson or a Winger in Forrest.

Jesus he can’t play O’Donnell. Not after yesterday 

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We all agree that Billy Gilmour has to start.

He's head and shoulders above every midfielder we have.

Sounds great. But is there a danger that he is already being hyped up into our talismanic saviour?

25 minutes ago, exile said:

Sounds great. But is there a danger that he is already being hyped up into our talismanic saviour?

It's a good point.

In terms or press-resistance (dealing with playing pressing him) he's miles ahead of players like Fleck, Armstrong or McGregor and even McTominay. And that's not even mentioning his passing ability and technical ability.

I think he's good enough and mature enough to deal with the whole country piling pressure on him. 

When you have Roy Keane saying that he looks like a world class player, it says a lot.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's a good point.

In terms or press-resistance (dealing with playing pressing him) he's miles ahead of players like Fleck, Armstrong or McGregor and even McTominay. And that's not even mentioning his passing ability and technical ability.

I think he's good enough and mature enough to deal with the whole country piling pressure on him. 

When you have Roy Keane saying that he looks like a world class player, it says a lot.

I'm sure we'd all love for him to start, and rise to the occasion. We may even need it. I'm just a little cautious!

I know its a different case. But I can't help recalling that once great hope, Jordan Rhodes, who was going to be our striking saviour, the fans were calling from the terraces crying for Levein to bring him on... if only he gave youth a chance...

I just had a peek at the stats: he scored 3 goals, in 2 friendlies, against Australia & Luxembourg. All services rendered and goals scored welcome of course. But there was a bit of a gap between the expectation and the reality.