Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scotland-boss-offers-passionate-defence-of-stephen-odonnell-addresses-midfield-issues-and-che-adams-3274379

Steve Clarke stating Stephen O’Donnell didn’t put a foot wrong vs Czech Rep and he was right to select the team he did. Oh dear. 

Doubt it does any good to criticise o donnell publicly. Better off not selecting him to start in the future which is what I expect Clarke will/should do. Saying that what's the chances he starts v England. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Doubt it does any good to criticise o donnell publicly. Better off not selecting him to start in the future which is what I expect Clarke will/should do. Saying that what's the chances he starts v England. 

It’ll be a field day for England if he plays down that side 

Its good that he is defending him like he defends everyone. But remember he defended Palmer and Considine also but did not include them in the final squad. So he can make decisions based on ability/performance over loyalty.

Should also remember that these are not timid little office boys at their first day of work. They are extremely highly paid professionals and should be able to take a bit of criticism/stick if their performance is not up to scratch - like I expect most of us do on our day jobs

8 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Its good that he is defending him like he defends everyone. But remember he defended Palmer and Considine also but did not include them in the final squad. So he can make decisions based on ability/performance over loyalty.

Should also remember that these are not timid little office boys at their first day of work. They are extremely highly paid professionals and should be able to take a bit of criticism/stick if their performance is not up to scratch - like I expect most of us do on our day jobs

He has to defend him and all of his players though. Jeez it would destroy the players' confidence going forward. It is not the done thing to do to have a manager openly come out and point fingers and blame at his own players in press conferences.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He has to defend him and all of his players though. Jeez it would destroy the players' confidence going forward. It is not the done thing to do to have a manager openly come out and point fingers and blame at his own players in press conferences.

Craig, like I also said, top players should be able to take a bit of criticism - from fans. I am not suggesting Clarke should criticise his own players. But I am saying that we need to man up and not crumble if we have a poor game. In fact it would be worse if we just accepted poor performances from players. Even the top teams have drubbing or poor result - Brazil knocked for 7, England beaten by Iceland but they bounce right back.