Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

11 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

You going back to 1960 then ?

first versions were nt really “tournaments” as such though …

In thinking about it ; first euros i even recall ( at the time ) was euro 80; because of sticker book - likely as england in it - first games watched tho was euro 84

i d imagine coverage of 76 would have been a brief highlights during football focus …..

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many have mentioned our biggest problem is up front.

We’re a dozen games into the first round of tournament games and only Italy and Denmark have had more attempts at goal than us (19).

That's the positives I’m taking into Friday.

Reminded me of France '98 or the Smith/McLeish era where we have a lot of good players but, at this level, no outstanding players (only Robertson looked like he belonged at this level). How many of the other 23 teams would swap their centre forward for Dykes for example?

I remember a neutral observer back in that group with France, Italy & Ukraine saying we were 1 top player away from being a really good team but we never seem to produce a Larsson, Laudrup, Hagi, Stoichkov etc. 

34 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Am I the only one that thought the ref never gave us anything?

There was a moment in the second half, McGinn took the ball in a Cruyff turn, he was then bundled down by a Czech player.

Nothing given.

It had shades of the Italy incident with Hutton.

The referee was a complete tosser.Some terrible decisions,and he was really petty as well.

39 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

In thinking about it ; first euros i even recall ( at the time ) was euro 80; because of sticker book - likely as england in it - first games watched tho was euro 84

i d imagine coverage of 76 would have been a brief highlights during football focus …..

Every game in 76 was shown live on TV. There were only 4 of them, including the 3rd/4th playoff. Everybody wanted to be Panenka after that final. Scotland had knocked Czechoslovakia out of the previous World Cup and went onto knock them out of the next one as well. That's how big an achievement qualifying for the World Cup was at that time. We knocked out the European champions.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Every game in 76 was shown live on TV. There were only 4 of them, including the 3rd/4th playoff. Everybody wanted to be Panenka after that final. Scotland had knocked Czechoslovakia out of the previous World Cup and went onto knock them out of the next one as well. That's how big an achievement qualifying for the World Cup was at that time. We knocked out the European champions.

Cheers for that ; ive no memory of that , was 10 then  ; but wc 74 i saw bits of and of course wc 78

denmark ( unfancied back then ) beat czechs ? In 3 team group to open things up for qualifying

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Cheers for that ; ive no memory of that , was 10 then  ; but wc 74 i saw bits of and of course wc 78

denmark ( unfancied back then ) beat czechs ? In 3 team group to open things up for qualifying

Denmark drew at home to Cz then got humped 6-0 away. we only beat Denmark 2-0 at Hampden but humped them away. Jimmy Bone scored. Seems like it was just yesterday. In fact I can remember that better than what I did yesterday. 😂

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Denmark drew at home to Cz then got humped 6-0 away. we only beat Denmark 2-0 at Hampden but humped them away. Jimmy Bone scored. Seems like it was just yesterday. In fact I can remember that better than what I did yesterday. 😂

That was the Copenhagen incident then ; joey harper , arthur graham , hibs player stanton…..? And another sine die

4 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

That was the Copenhagen incident then ; joey harper , arthur graham , hibs player stanton…..? And another sine die

I think that was a Euro 76 qualifier. We got Denmark 3 groups in a row.

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

No, that was a totally different game. 1975 I think? Billy Bremner was the instigator. That was his last game for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

As many have mentioned our biggest problem is up front.

We’re a dozen games into the first round of tournament games and only Italy and Denmark have had more attempts at goal than us (19).

That's the positives I’m taking into Friday.

That's 2 games in a row where we've created tons of chances and have only scored once. The Dutch game still gives me hope that we are capable of scoring against decent quality. 

We have made so much progress in the last year or so. We are now fairly solid in defence and create chances galore. Goals are the only thing missing. It's hard to know how to solve that problem. Dykes, Adams and Nisbet all bring something to the team, but (so far) we don't have a player that can pull a goal out their arse like so many other teams have. Their striker was the only difference between the teams yesterday.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Am I the only one that thought the ref never gave us anything?

There was a moment in the second half, McGinn took the ball in a Cruyff turn, he was then bundled down by a Czech player.

Nothing given.

It had shades of the Italy incident with Hutton.

No your not the only 1 . I thought the officials gave us absolutely nothing.  There was a call for a handball too in the 2nd half but not even looked at . Shocking officials 

1 hour ago, mr mojo risin said:

Reminded me of France '98 or the Smith/McLeish era where we have a lot of good players but, at this level, no outstanding players (only Robertson looked like he belonged at this level). How many of the other 23 teams would swap their centre forward for Dykes for example?

I remember a neutral observer back in that group with France, Italy & Ukraine saying we were 1 top player away from being a really good team but we never seem to produce a Larsson, Laudrup, Hagi, Stoichkov etc. 

That's a good point.  The fact is, we're not very good at scoring goals and we're not much better at stopping them.  19 shots at goal but only 4 on target tells its own story.  At tournament level that'll get you found out.

35 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That's 2 games in a row where we've created tons of chances and have only scored once. The Dutch game still gives me hope that we are capable of scoring against decent quality. 

We have made so much progress in the last year or so. We are now fairly solid in defence and create chances galore. Goals are the only thing missing. It's hard to know how to solve that problem. Dykes, Adams and Nisbet all bring something to the team, but (so far) we don't have a player that can pull a goal out their arse like so many other teams have. Their striker was the only difference between the teams yesterday.

Am convinced if Griffiths was fit ;back in the fold he would have taken at least one of those chances

Just now, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am convinced if Griffiths was fit ;back in the fold he would have taken at least one of those chances

I nearly mentioned him, but I'm trying to focus solely on the 26 we have available. No point in wasting energy on 'what ifs' in terms of squad selection now. (But you're not wrong)

It's really tough to decide who should play against England because not a whole lot was wrong with the performance. Except their goals, and our lack of.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's a good point.  The fact is, we're not very good at scoring goals and we're not much better at stopping them.  19 shots at goal but only 4 on target tells its own story.  At tournament level that'll get you found out.

There was only two shots on target in the France Germany game tonight out of 14 attempts.

4 shots on target isn't a bad stat the quality of those shots is the problem.

I suppose the fact the people have to be approaching 30 years old to even remotely remember us in a tournament .

i think the freshness of young people yesterday was good to see , no one considered it a possibility that we would not win, the talking to young kids 2-0, 3-0 etc.

But for someone who can go back to Argentina 78 there was this oh we are going back to normal tournament service here and sure enough we were 

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

No your not the only 1 . I thought the officials gave us absolutely nothing.  There was a call for a handball too in the 2nd half but not even looked at . Shocking officials 

It wasn't even subtle, either.

Genuinely felt like we were playing against 12 men.

If It was against a top nation you would understand it (favouring the big nation) but no, it was against the Czech Republic!

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scotland-boss-offers-passionate-defence-of-stephen-odonnell-addresses-midfield-issues-and-che-adams-3274379

Steve Clarke stating Stephen O’Donnell didn’t put a foot wrong vs Czech Rep and he was right to select the team he did. Oh dear. 

He's hardly going to tell the media that O'Donnell was rotten and shouldn't have been near the team. Wouldn't be great for the spirit in the camp. 

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he'll play O'Donnell on Friday as he won't trust Forrest or Patterson to be solid enough defensively. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just googled Willie Young as I remember him as a great player. found out he was another of our great uncapped players.

Doubt if we could give anyone  lifetime ban these days.

The ban was later reduced to one year (maybe 2???). Arthur Graham and Joe Harper played for Scotland after that. Harper was in the squad for Argentina 78.

Edited by Orraloon