Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I assume you mean that nobody in our group will be out. At least 3 teams will be out before we kick a baw. So at least we won't be the first team out of the competition. Might be the 4th team out though.:lol:

Yeah, unless we somehow get chucked out or docked points that can't happen :D 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Sorry to be an annoying pedant, but don’t you mean ‘castigated?’

As pish as we were yesterday I think it’s a bit extreme to chop the players bollocks off as punishment.

🤣 🤣 Yes but perhaps the threat may give them that bit of extra incentive to get better quality shots on target :blink:

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I completely agree with your assessment. Midfield mostly not in the game. We pinged it up and they defended well. Forrest was decent and what we should have done earlier, changed it up. The - 2 GD is pretty disasterous IMO, but still it's not over it's a 3 game league but if we lose on Friday is could well.

One other thing, Marshall...thanks for penalty saves but Gordon gets to start the last two games, why on earth were you so far up?

It was such a strange set-up. People are saying that it was defensive, but it wasn't. Armstrong was more advanced than McTominay. Which is fine, if McTominay 9ffers for the ball and Armstrong has movement. Neither happened.

Seriously? I have no idea why he was up so far. He was almost in the centre circle. 

Yesterday for me was a demonstration of how a few inches and a bit of luck makes a result. The second goal for me is one of those unique events that you can't really damn anyone for - the odds of that ball rebounding into exactly the right spot for the guy to then hit it so sweetly are pretty long. Give it to him another nine times and I doubt he'd hit the target twice. The deflection that would've been an own goal, the shot off the bar, various other bits and pieces all just not going the right way. Yes, I know you make your own luck (or rather make yourself not rely on it either way) but I'm not overly critical. There were a couple of guys who were a bit deer in the headlights at the start, but my main criticism is actually for the first goal - defender over ran the cross ball and ended up underneath it, letting the striker in for the header. 

Oh, and Lyndon Dykes is a big haddy. 

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I thought we looked better when McGregor came on because he actually did do that and stopped the constant lumps up the park.

As soon as Tierney was out Forrest/Fraser should've been in at RWB, less need to worry defensively with a central defence that's going to stay put more.

Yeah. I think so, too. People might have a go at McGregor, but sometimes you need someone who does the simple things and keeps possession. Jack is a massive miss, and it showed yesterday. 

Definitely. Can't disagree with that.

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

The second goal for me is one of those unique events that you can't really damn anyone for - the odds of that ball rebounding into exactly the right spot for the guy to then hit it so sweetly are pretty long. Give it to him another nine times and I doubt he'd hit the target twice.

The odds of us losing the ball in their half is very real .

The odds of anyone scoring from their half when our goalie is where he should be,  surely must be less than 1%. In fact the odds of anyone even trying from that distance when he is on the goal-line must be actually Zero.

Those are the odds you are not looking at.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

So deflated after yesterdays performance.It was really great to see so many kids across the country being excited to watch Scotland.Also,a long time since i have seen so many Scotland shirts being worn around the pubs etc.It just felt as if the air had been let out our balloon almost instantly.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh it was really painful and must of put alot of young kids off supporting the national team or even having a interest in it. 

Ach, my first experience was Argentina 78 and I'm still here.

16 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

What do you want me to say?

Stuart Armstrong was amazing? His presence in midfield is peak Roy Keane? The challenges he put in, the way he drove the team forward was truly magnificent. On this performance it will have alerted Barcelona and PSG.

Or do you want the truth?

Do I also have a Prejudice against Che Adams?

I honestly thought Adams was excellent when he came.

3 other people said that Armstrong had a nightmare. Shock horror, I get singled out. Clarke couldn't have been too impressed as he lasted just over an hour.

Now stfu. 

The Daily Record gave Armstrong 5 out of 10. Do they also have an agenda?

Talking of prejudices, what about the one you have you have with me? If Stuart Armstrong scored a hat trick of og's, you'd have a go at me for slating him for it.

Firstly, don't ever tell me - or anyone on this board for that matter - to "stfu." 

Now, I note with pleasure that you have modified your opinion of Adams.

I wasn't saying Armstrong had a brilliant game - just that he deserved to start, and that was one way of keeping McGregor out of the team. He didn't give a goal away or anything like that. He is a consistent starter for a decent EPL team and who are we to ignore that level of player?

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. I think so, too. People might have a go at McGregor, but sometimes you need someone who does the simple things and keeps possession. Jack is a massive miss, and it showed yesterday. 

Definitely. Can't disagree with that.

Im glad you mentioned that. Having Jack or McLean in that defensive midfield role probably gives more licence for other midfielders to push on.

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

The drunken hard man at it again Raymond ? 

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Apparantly mate. I just ignore it..

I think you need to learn to read things a bit better and acknowledge what was said, the tone of it, the emojis used, before you get all excited 👍🏽

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Ach, my first experience was Argentina 78 and I'm still here.

Yes,but this was first time in 23 years.You had Spain 82,Mexice in 86 and Italy in 90 to feast on after.Wouldn't like to bet money on us qualifying for another 3 tournaments in a row.This was a great chance to bring these kids into the fold,and get them excited by following Scotland.Yesterday did nothing to achieve that.Now if we can somehow qualify at the death,that would certainly achieve it

9 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yes,but this was first time in 23 years.You had Spain 82,Mexice in 86 and Italy in 90 to feast on after.Wouldn't like to bet money on us qualifying for another 3 tournaments in a row.This was a great chance to bring these kids into the fold,and get them excited by following Scotland.Yesterday did nothing to achieve that.Now if we can somehow qualify at the death,that would certainly achieve it

I think you are way off. I think us just getting there for teenagers is a massive thing. It is like a drug. Once you have tasted it once that is not enough - you want more.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

We just need something to fire the kids' imaginations - a Narey or Strachan style wondergoal, a hard fought draw or even a scrappy win - just something to cheer.

The first tournament I remember clearly is Italia '90 - I had the 2-1 victory over Sweden to cheer and despite the cruel defeat by Brazil and the Costa Rica debacle that was me, I've been a Scotland fan ever since.

The single disappointing thing about yesterday was how flat it felt. That wasn't all down to the football, to be fair, but there was precious little to cheer. Hopefully the team can find that moment of inspiration at some point in the next two games.

Think need to put Euros into context too compared to a WC , although arguably ones risen in quality / prestige as ones declined

am not sure if there was a deliberate choice to take euros less seriously in the past ( bit like league cup for some ) but our much lauded players of yesteryear never made it

even our first qualifying at euro 92 was i recall a subdued affair as we listened to the romania v bulgaria result - the tv news just showed a couple of players in studio watching the game ( stuart mccall was one )

off at a bit of a tangent , and not sure what my point is , aside from typically got more excited with world cups

14 minutes ago, thesaint said:

I think if we can give decent performances in the last 2 games all is not lost, though kids tend to side with winners , just need to look at the support for the OF and big English teams for that.
I think 0-2 flattered the Czechs , they took their chances better but we were not an embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Im glad you mentioned that. Having Jack or McLean in that defensive midfield role probably gives more licence for other midfielders to push on.

Totally.

We all saw in the England match how important an aggressive, pressing midfield helps, (McLean, especially, Jack) with Kalvin Philips.

As much as I love McTominay, he isn't as aggressive and proactive as he could be.

What was he before his growth spurt? 5' 6"? He plays like he's 5' 5". He has to get it into his head that he's 6'4" and built like an absolute tank. He's too timid and nice.

Could Gilmour play in the pivot? God yes. The way that he offers for the ball, no matter how players are around him, is brilliant. 

Edited by Taylor1996

56 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Think need to put Euros into context too compared to a WC , although arguably ones risen in quality / prestige as ones declined

am not sure if there was a deliberate choice to take euros less seriously in the past ( bit like league cup for some ) but our much lauded players of yesteryear never made it

even our first qualifying at euro 92 was i recall a subdued affair as we listened to the romania v bulgaria result - the tv news just showed a couple of players in studio watching the game ( stuart mccall was one )

off at a bit of a tangent , and not sure what my point is , aside from typically got more excited with world cups

We never even entered the first two Euros tournaments, and only joined in with the third one as they used the home internationals as qualifiers. 

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Firstly, don't ever tell me - or anyone on this board for that matter - to "stfu." 

Now, I note with pleasure that you have modified your opinion of Adams.

I wasn't saying Armstrong had a brilliant game - just that he deserved to start, and that was one way of keeping McGregor out of the team. He didn't give a goal away or anything like that. He is a consistent starter for a decent EPL team and who are we to ignore that level of player?

Yesterday wasn't the best time to poke the bear. I'm still seething.

Plenty of people said that Armstrong was crap (9 people, at last count). I don't see why I should be singled out. 

Stuart Armstrong is the most careless and reckless midfielder that we've had over the years. Am I saying that because of what he did against England? No. I'm saying it because he was awful yesterday.

People might have a go at McGregor, but at least he can regularly retain the ball. 

I'm not defending myself over criticising a Stuart Armstrong performance anymore.

You see people having a go at Marshall, Hanley, Hendry, O'Donnell, Fraser, Forrest, McGregor, Fleck, McBurnie, Dykes, Adams, etc. I'm not going to tolerate being the only one who gets consistently being pulled up over my criticism of Stuart Armstrong.

I also had a go at Marshall, O'Donnell, McTominay and Dykes yesterday. If you think I'm just having a go at Armstrong, you're wrong.

Anyway. It's the last I'm talking about it.