Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

FFS man Marshall was almost standing in the centre circle. Goalkeepers are on the pitch to stop goals not flounce around in midfield.

They can both be to blame, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well f*** me it must be the first time ever I have heard a player being castrated by so many for having a shot at goal.

And rightly so, he was having a shot on goal from 35 yards out with the vast majority of players in front of him and players in better positions. In a microcosm, it's an absolutely excellent example of why so few of our players at an elite level 

Individual errors aside, if you don't take a proportion of your chances and you lose your top player through injury on the day of the game, it's always going to be hard. We can't magic up a goal scorer so maybe we should be concentrating on becoming difficult to beat. 

4 minutes ago, Montrose97 said:

Individual errors aside, if you don't take a proportion of your chances and you lose your top player through injury on the day of the game, it's always going to be hard. We can't magic up a goal scorer so maybe we should be concentrating on becoming difficult to beat. 

Spot on and fully agree.

I said in my pre-match blog that we had to be more clinical in front of goal - we weren't. I also said Czechs aerial threat was a danger as was us failing to shut down players attacking our penalty area and that failing came back to haunt us with the first goal.

Realistically now we really have to beat England but also realistically we're really just out to prevent a hiding.

My main hope is that they get even more unbearably over-confident than usual, get blootered the night before, some of them get lost on the way to the stadium and they have to play a couple of stewards or something.

Is that a plan, d'you think?

When McGregor came on I knew the game was lost. He was never going to have an impact. SOD was rotten, he froze. Patterson should have come on. 

I found myself listening to Radio Scotland a few days ago and couldn’t quite understand the Clarke love in. We just picked up from where we left off against Austria and Israel. 

Gilmour should have come on for Hendry giving us a back four. 2-0 down and he did nothing to properly try and change it. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

36 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

One swallow does not a summer make. I was working so never seen the Netherlands match. But Holland aside, can you name me other matches when Armstrong was good/excellent/outstanding? I’m struggling to remember any meaningful contributions that Armstrong has made recently.

Armstrong has played well for Scotland on a number of occasions. He is one of the few players that will drive past the opposition and commit players and make things happen. 

He started well yesterday. Linked up with Robertson and played really well for the first half an hour. Dropped off after that and was rightly subbed.

Why are we so quick in this country to lambast players. Just because somebody doesnt play amasing doesnt mean they were rubbish and should never be seen again.

Armstrong was far better than McGinn, Christie and McTom yesterday.

Purely looking at goals and assist stats is the stuff of school children. Id bet that Gilmours "stats" for Chelsea are really poor as he doesnt score and rarely assists. That doesnt mean he isnt a brilliant player though. If he plays a world class pass to a player who then lays it off for the striker to score he gets nothing in the stats but created the goal.

Biggest mistake by clarke was not playing forrest or patterson instead of odonnell. With tierney out that took one of our main attacking threats away and cooper doesnt stray far from his position. With either of 2 mentioned playing they want to attack and would have gave czech more to worry about. In saying that remember we had 19 attempts and it is annoying even people on here looking for scapegoats. Every single goal scored anywhere is someones fault and. I also felt armstrong was better than mcginn and mctominay as was christie better than mcginn but mctominay and mcginn get a free pass due to who they play for and previous contributions. I know at half time you would not have taken mcginn of as Clarke would have got slaughtered but christie contributed more than him in 1st half and by taking mcginn off putting christie in his position and adams on might have been diferent. All what ifs and maybes and we will never know. Gilmour and either patterson/forrest has to start v England. Build our team around wee Billy and we can progress,keep playing midfielders who arent particularly good at passing or seeing where to pass and we will always be like we are.

Guest Scot1
26 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Armstrong has played well for Scotland on a number of occasions. He is one of the few players that will drive past the opposition and commit players and make things happen. 

He started well yesterday. Linked up with Robertson and played really well for the first half an hour. Dropped off after that and was rightly subbed.

Why are we so quick in this country to lambast players. Just because somebody doesnt play amasing doesnt mean they were rubbish and should never be seen again.

Armstrong was far better than McGinn, Christie and McTom yesterday.

Purely looking at goals and assist stats is the stuff of school children. Id bet that Gilmours "stats" for Chelsea are really poor as he doesnt score and rarely assists. That doesnt mean he isnt a brilliant player though. If he plays a world class pass to a player who then lays it off for the striker to score he gets nothing in the stats but created the goal.

Ok mate, why don’t you pop into your local university and tell them their statistics department is nonsense, tit

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Ok mate, why don’t you pop into your local university and tell them their statistics department is nonsense, tit

Well if its stats you want then Scotland's tally of efforts on goal in the tournament has only been bettered by Italy and Denmark so far.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Guest Scot1
18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well if its stats you want then Scotland's tally of efforts on goal in the tournament has only been bettered by Italy and Denmark so far.

19 chances of which 11 are blocked, 3 shot wide, 5 on target

Czechs, 10 chances, 7 on target, 3 off target, 0 blocked

i think it’s clear we didn’t create enough good quality, clear chances, the Czechs did. Marshal was forced to make more, better saves 

12 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

i think it’s clear we didn’t create enough good quality, clear chances, the Czechs did. Marshal was forced to make more, better saves 

You really need to open your eyes to our clear weakness - our strikers. They are not international class.

Who is our top scorer? Midfielder John McGinn.

How many times have we scored more than once in the last ten games? Three and one of those games were against The Faroe Islands. And in those games the majority of the goals have come from defenders and midfielders.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Correct. We barely opened the Czechs up with any sort of creative or incisive play, most came from balls being knocked down and lumped into the box, our inability to actually create much through the midfield is extremely concerning.

Our strikers will look up to the job against lesser nations and be able to link up with supporting midfielders but at major tournaments they won't cut the mustard. That is the area Clarke next has to look at improving. The strikers selected are the best available to us so we then have to look to bolster our attacking threat elsewhere. To me the glaring option is Billy Gilmour in midfield in place of McGregor or even McTominay. Also we need to now look to work on the right flank and perhaps look to integrate Patterson into the team. The problem is if we take a hammering against England our goal difference will be so bad that surely even a win against Croatia would not be enough.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You really need to open your eyes to our clear weakness - our strikers. They are not international class.

How many times have we scored more than once in the last ten games? Three and one of those games were against The Faroe Islands. And in those games the goals have come from defenders and midfielders.

A fully fit and focused Griffiths would've buried some of these.  Annoying to think he didn't burst a gut trying to get fit enough to make the squad.

Where are strikers going to come from?  Wish I knew cos I don't see anyone coming through.  Keepers either come to that.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How many times have we scored more than once in the last ten games? Three and one of those games were against The Faroe Islands. And in those games the goals have come from defenders and midfielders.

You really need to stop putting words in other peoples mouths. 
Go through my post history and tell me where I’ve said that we have top class strikers. 
What you and other posters seem to want to do is make them the scapegoat and I don’t agree. I don’t think we created enough quality, clear cut chances for our strikers yesterday. That’s not their fault. The 2 best chances both fell to defenders who both failed to score. The 2 Dykes chances were nowhere near as simple/easy as is being made out. I guarantee you most strikers in this tournament wouldn’t have scored them. 

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Where are strikers going to come from?  Wish I knew cos I don't see anyone coming through.  Keepers either come to that.

Precisely, at present there are none on the horizon and so that is why we play the way we do. Try to keep it tight and score a goal to win 1-0. As soon as we ship goals (like yesterday) then we are goosed.

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

The whole midfield just didn't function.

McGinn - marked out the game; Armstrong - did eff all but we all wanted him in after his Netherlands performance; McTominay - I've never seen the player in dark blue that plays for Man U; Christie - been off form for months.

No spark, no creativity and meanwhile an on-form player who finished the season as Portugal's player of the month wasn't considered good enough for our 26.

Add to that an utterly disastrous performance from O'Donnell and a goalie doing something so fkin ridiculous that it defies belief and it's no surprise that it all ended in the same old story.

We're lacking a RWB, a midfield playmaker (could be Gilmour once he's 25/26 even though other teams are happily playing teenagers) and a striking duo.

One thing though - Robertson was brilliant in that first half and if we could've added the extra threat of KT down there as well... who knows.  Not to be though.  Fkin typical.

Yes, Robertson had one of his better games  and with Tierney could have made a real difference. Still, we need to work with who is available . Thought Che Adams played well when he came on. 
But, as others have said, its our failure to be clinical that is our main problem. 

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, Mox said:

Correct. We barely opened the Czechs up with any sort of creative or incisive play, most came from balls being knocked down and lumped into the box, our inability to actually create much through the midfield is extremely concerning.

That’s what I saw. The way people were talking it was if we were working their keeper and forcing him to make save after save. Didn’t happen, the vast majority of our chances were “blocked” by a defender. Which brings up the question of intellect/brains, decision making. Yesterday I saw plenty of players, blasting the ball straight at a Czech player from close range knowing full well that ball isn’t going past the defender, bewildering 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

You really need to stop putting words in other peoples mouths. 
Go through my post history and tell me where I’ve said that we have top class strikers. 
What you and other posters seem to want to do is make them the scapegoat and I don’t agree. I don’t think we created enough quality, clear cut chances for our strikers yesterday. That’s not their fault. The 2 best chances both fell to defenders who both failed to score. The 2 Dykes chances were nowhere near as simple/easy as is being made out. I guarantee you most strikers in this tournament wouldn’t have scored them. 

Okay apologies to you for that but at this level our strikers are not international class. That much is clear. I don't blame them as they are the best we have and you can only work with that. They had that international class striker and that was the major difference. That is why we play the way we do and rely heavily on our midfield weigh in with goals from the likes of McGinn. At present that is the best way forward for us and by adding Gilmour for more creative midfielder.

We just weren’t good enough on the day from decision making (including management)to quality on the pitch. They were better than us on the day. That’s the stark reality. Just comes down to fine margins in tournament football and we didn’t have the answers.