Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

Guest Scot1

Gilmour and Patterson needed to start today. 
Clarke still can’t get the midfield to function with the players at his disposal 

And he still insists on playing 6’2 centre halves in the middle of the 3 against 6’4 centre forwards? When we have 6’5 centre halves on the bench? 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This analysis is interesting. (You have to click on it)

I did notice that McTominay played the anchorman role, but the difference is, he never once came to collect the ball. Gilmour would've demanded the ball.

I have only watched it once, but maybe it wouldn't be as bad the second time around.

We did create chances. That's a positive. If we can the same again England and Croatia then it's something to build on.

Edited by Taylor1996

38 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'm not sure it was a tactical thing, but, our plan A seemed to be to launch aimless balls up to Dykes from all angles. I've looked at the stats, he won 6 out of 16.

It was mindless at times.

Most the time the midfield was missed out entirely. 

I remember when Duncan Ferguson played for us, all we used to do was lump it up to him  - no wonder he never scored for us!

I completely agree with your assessment. Midfield mostly not in the game. We pinged it up and they defended well. Forrest was decent and what we should have done earlier, changed it up. The - 2 GD is pretty disasterous IMO, but still it's not over it's a 3 game league but if we lose on Friday is could well.

One other thing, Marshall...thanks for penalty saves but Gordon gets to start the last two games, why on earth were you so far up?

Edited by romanticscot

7 hours ago, Marky said:

Ha ha. Whoosh of the highest order. 

"O'Donkey" is a pretty funny, if cruel, nickname though, tbf.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

You may joke, but once the gerbil gets going in the heads of a few people here, McBurnie will get the brunt of the blame.

Probably because he wears his sock down with no shin pads. Everyone who is anyone knows that that kind of behaviour is riddled with Gypy curses and/or Witches.

And he was onced witnessed uttering vile heresies and obscenities in an unholy place (aka Sheffield).  🧐

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:
I did notice that McTominay played the anchorman role, but the difference is, he never once came to collect the ball. Gilmour would've demanded the ball.

I thought we looked better when McGregor came on because he actually did do that and stopped the constant lumps up the park.

As soon as Tierney was out Forrest/Fraser should've been in at RWB, less need to worry defensively with a central defence that's going to stay put more.

25 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I just don't understand the point of him being there, any opposition player would of had a go once they got the ball, even if it was way into their own half, it's a bloody open goal to aim for!!!

Was my biggest fear about sticking with Marshall, he always has a howler in him. Liam McLeod's "national hero, forever" commentary hasn't aged well :(

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I just don't understand the point of him being there, any opposition player would of had a go once they got the ball, even if it was way into their own half, it's a bloody open goal to aim for!!!

and this year players from two Scottish teams have scored goals from that sort of distance, both Roofe and Shankland.

35 minutes ago, chaff said:

What is it Clarke sees in Lyndon Dykes, he is no way good enough in the lone striker role.

Agreed. He's nowhere near good enough. 

The whole midfield just didn't function.

McGinn - marked out the game; Armstrong - did eff all but we all wanted him in after his Netherlands performance; McTominay - I've never seen the player in dark blue that plays for Man U; Christie - been off form for months.

No spark, no creativity and meanwhile an on-form player who finished the season as Portugal's player of the month wasn't considered good enough for our 26.

Add to that an utterly disastrous performance from O'Donnell and a goalie doing something so fkin ridiculous that it defies belief and it's no surprise that it all ended in the same old story.

We're lacking a RWB, a midfield playmaker (could be Gilmour once he's 25/26 even though other teams are happily playing teenagers) and a striking duo.

One thing though - Robertson was brilliant in that first half and if we could've added the extra threat of KT down there as well... who knows.  Not to be though.  Fkin typical.

I have to debate that daviebee.

Robertson was our best player by a mile and stood out in the first half where he was set through a few times by Armstrong. When he went off the Robertson threat lessened in the second half. The midfield was not the issue as was shown by us creating far more chances/shots on goal than the Czechs. Our problem was lack of killer instinct in front of goal caused by lack of international striker. Step forward Patrik Schick. The only difference between the sides and lest we forget we had our most influential and probably best player out. A massive blow.

Yesterday was completely demoralising, as soon as the team was named you knew it was going to be a slog. 3 centre halves, O'Donnell over Patterson/Forrest/Fraser and most infuriating of all, Dykes over Adams.

We launched the ball aimlessly upto Dykes within the first 30 seconds and you just knew that was how we were going to approach our biggest game in 23 years. Every other team in this tournament has tried to play football, not everyone to the same possession or die attitude of Ukraine or Spain, but teams have tried to be creative and we prioritised physicality over creativity in 2021, it's like the last 15 years didn't happen.

The whole attitude of the last week has been 'we are just happy to be here' and as long as we don't lose the first game then it's a good result, a complete losers mentality. We had what was effectively a home game in our first major tournament in 23 years and we played with caution and fear, all at the direction of the manager.

Once again, we are out before a balls been kicked, I can't explain how angry that makes me.

i am always an optimist however that was very poor yesterday, it really has taken the win out of my sails,, we need to show up on Friday or risk a humping.. marshal was at fault for the second no question of that, i dont blame hendry for taking a shot. we need clinical finishers and dykes is not that. I also think gilmore would bring a different dimension, as some have said, he would demand the ball and go looking for it. Yesterday some froze and were intimidated by the occasion.

Guest Scot1

Going by “Transfermarket” Stats playing for Scotland 

Stuart Armstrong

26 games 2 goals 3 assists 

Ryan Fraser

19 games 4 goals 7 assists 

Ryan Christie

20 games 4 goals 6 assists

John McGinn

34 games 10 goals 3 assists

Armstrong doesn’t do it for Scotland 

48 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i am always an optimist however that was very poor yesterday, it really has taken the win out of my sails,, we need to show up on Friday or risk a humping.. marshal was at fault for the second no question of that, i dont blame hendry for taking a shot. we need clinical finishers and dykes is not that. I also think gilmore would bring a different dimension, as some have said, he would demand the ball and go looking for it. Yesterday some froze and were intimidated by the occasion.

I find it absolutely astonishing that you don't apportion any blame to Hendry in that scenario. He's 35 yards from goal, there's numerous bodies in front of him, realistically what chance does he have of scoring there? 1%? 2%? Maybe less?

It was a dreadful decision and it was only 10/15 minutes into the second half, it reeks of a complete lack of intelligence on his part and if my centre half thinks it's acceptable to try a shot from there then I question what is being coached.

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Going by “Transfermarket” Stats playing for Scotland 

Stuart Armstrong

26 games 2 goals 3 assists 

Ryan Fraser

19 games 4 goals 7 assists 

Ryan Christie

20 games 4 goals 6 assists

John McGinn

34 games 10 goals 3 assists

Armstrong doesn’t do it for Scotland 

Armstrong was our man of the match against Netherlands and anyone would have preferred him over McGregor (well most of us). To me it wasn't a coincidence that Robertson was far more potent in the first half through link-ups with Armstrong. When he went off that diminished. Some people overlook the bigger problems ie lack of true international class strikers. That is what killed us yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

I find it absolutely astonishing that you don't apportion any blame to Hendry in that scenario. He's 35 yards from goal, there's numerous bodies in front of him, realistically what chance does he have of scoring there? 1%? 2%? Maybe less?

It was a dreadful decision and it was only 10/15 minutes into the second half, it reeks of a complete lack of intelligence on his part and if my centre half thinks it's acceptable to try a shot from there then I question what is being coached.

FFS man Marshall was almost standing in the centre circle. Goalkeepers are on the pitch to stop goals not flounce around in midfield.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Armstrong was our man of the match against Netherlands and anyone would have preferred him over McGregor (well most of us). To me it wasn't a coincidence that Robertson was far more potent in the first half through link-ups with Armstrong. When he went off that diminished. Some people overlook the bigger problems ie lack of true international class strikers. That is what killed us yesterday. 

One swallow does not a summer make. I was working so never seen the Netherlands match. But Holland aside, can you name me other matches when Armstrong was good/excellent/outstanding? I’m struggling to remember any meaningful contributions that Armstrong has made recently.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

One swallow does not a summer make. I was working so never seen the Netherlands match. But Holland aside, can you name me other matches when Armstrong was good/excellent/outstanding? I’m struggling to remember any meaningful contributions that Armstrong has made recently.

Armstrong replaced McGregor. If you polled Scotland fans before the game they'd have been happy with that. The most disappointing player in our midfield yesterday was McTominay. I hardly noticed he was playing but lets remember we had 19 shots on goal so we were creating chances. The patently obvious failing we have is a lack of a top international striker who can stick the ball in the net.