Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

I want to know the inside story here. When and how did he get injured? He looked fine v Netherlands and Luxembourg. Was Clarke lying when he said he had no injury concerns? Something fishy here.

He missed training a couple of days ago but the official line was that he was rested as part of his schedule. Obviously took a knock and didn’t want Czechs to know. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I want to know the inside story here. When and how did he get injured? He looked fine v Netherlands and Luxembourg. Was Clarke lying when he said he had no injury concerns? Something fishy here.

Covid issue? He seemed to say we “hope” he’ll be ready for Friday. Not very convincing at all. 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

According to Clarke pre-match he said Tierney picked up/aggravated an injury in training. Now he is key to us and probably gave him right up to this morning before having to rule him out. I hope it is just a niggle and they did not pick him as a precaution and thought wise to not risk him in case it makes the niggle worse.

I fully understand why it was kept quiet. Why give your opponents an idea of team set-up and the boost of knowing you have a key player out.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

15 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I don’t see a clear chance at goal with his shot, did you see something that I didn’t?

Theres two defenders and a goalie to beat that has the near post covered, but because he scored in a friendly, it means he should take it on all the time?

You keep living in cuckoo land, I’ll live in reality with the fact that losing possession cost a goal. 

91A768A0-B1C0-4AFB-9811-93FE08388450.jpeg

You are completely missing my point.

It doesn’t matter whether the shot was on or not. The point is that what happened after it could not possibly be legislated for. It was a freak incident. Players get shots blocked all the time. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Covid issue? He seemed to say we “hope” he’ll be ready for Friday. Not very convincing at all. 

"I wouldn't get over-excited about it but I am hopeful"

Got a feeling his tournament's over... 

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

You are completely missing my point.

It doesn’t matter whether the shot was on or not. The point is that what happened after it could not possibly be legislated for. It was a freak incident. Players get shots blocked all the time. 

But if he never took it on and the ball bounced the way it did, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. But he did and blew it big time. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

But if he never took it on and the ball bounced the way it did, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. But he did and blew it big time. 

Personally, I know what you're saying.

Some players just make brainless decisions. Stuart Armstrong is one, and judging by the previous two matches, (where he contriibuted to us losing two goals) maybe Jack Hendry is another one.

Either that or he was unlucky.

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Personally, I know what you're saying.

Some players just make brainless decisions. Stuart Armstrong is one, and judging by the previous two matches, (where he contriibuted to us losing two goals) maybe Jack Hendry is another one.

Either that or he was unlucky.

There you go with your prejudice v Armstrong. He deserved to start in place of McGregor based on his showing in the friendlies. You want to have a go at someone, go for Mcgregor who can't tackle, can't pass forward and can't score. And you had been pushing Hendry's claims for months. 

4 hours ago, exile said:

I see what you mean though it's probably a bit academic about whether we over-achieved to get here and then just 'found our level' now we're here, rather than under-performing.

No offence to West Ham, Burnley or Bristol City but I wouldn't say they were all 'out of our league'... it was not over-optimistic to seek a win at home today or avoid defeat.

I would class Czechs as similar ability to likes of Serbia and Austria so yes huge disappointment to lose. Can only say a fair few of that squad probably played in euro 2016 so perhaps tournament knowledge was the key. Look at how McTominay froze today and he's played already in quite a few cup finals for Man. United and other huge games.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I would class Czechs as similar ability to likes of Serbia and Austria so yes huge disappointment to lose. Can only say a fair few of that squad probably played in euro 2016 so perhaps tournament knowledge was the key. Look at how McTominay froze today and he's played already in quite a few cup finals for Man. United and other huge games.

Well also lets not forget we had our most influential player out. The massive difference between the two teams was they took their chances we didn't. That aside we had more shots on goal, more possession and more territory but that counts for nothing if you can't score.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well also lets not forget we had our most influential player out. The massive difference between the two teams was they took their chances we didn't. That aside we had more shots on goal, more possession and more territory but that counts for nothing if you can't score.

Let's not forget Mcginn was played deep in favour of Armstrong in his position 

Marshall was favoured to Gordon 

Dykes to Adams 

Hendry to Gallagher or even better no five at the back

And odonnell to anyone 

Really disappointed like everyone and definitely feel dykes and Adam's need to start v england. Whole midfield didn't do much and tierney missing meant our big attacking threat not there. The biggest disappointment is the belief of the younger ones who were all hyped up and now no doubt down in dumps. My boy at 20 away to pub with his pals and even took his wee brother who's 16 totally hyper and then we blow it.  We were lucky against Serbia and Israel as not much in game and unlucky today. 19 attempts but I know that doesn't mean anything. Hope I'm revived by tomorrow as just now its shite being Scottish 

1 hour ago, Ramtastic said:

"I wouldn't get over-excited about it but I am hopeful"

Got a feeling his tournament's over... 

That's the trouble with tournaments, they are over quick as a flash. 10 day absence can mean missing all three group games whereas no problem in a club season.

I remember early in new year he was in great form with Arsenal, picked up a knock that was only supposed to keep him out for a game or two and he ended up missing about six weeks.

Sums up his international career so far, good in flashes but just missed too many games.

Edited by Tartan Chris

Nothing really surprised me today I was criticised after the Netherlands friendly saying Dykes wasn’t the required standard , he is an honest championship level trier but that is it.

i was shocked when Clarke said he had a good game against the Czechs a Covid depleted version eight months ago , so he deserved a game.

Adams being dropped and the defensive formation didn’t help and realistically we will probably be all but out after Friday. 

For my generation it was normal tournament service but sad for the early 30s and below going through this for this first time. 

Edited by DAVIDB46

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There you go with your prejudice v Armstrong. He deserved to start in place of McGregor based on his showing in the friendlies. You want to have a go at someone, go for Mcgregor who can't tackle, can't pass forward and can't score. And you had been pushing Hendry's claims for months. 

What do you want me to say?

Stuart Armstrong was amazing? His presence in midfield is peak Roy Keane? The challenges he put in, the way he drove the team forward was truly magnificent. On this performance it will have alerted Barcelona and PSG.

Or do you want the truth?

Do I also have a Prejudice against Che Adams?

I honestly thought Adams was excellent when he came.

3 other people said that Armstrong had a nightmare. Shock horror, I get singled out. Clarke couldn't have been too impressed as he lasted just over an hour.

Now stfu. 

The Daily Record gave Armstrong 5 out of 10. Do they also have an agenda?

Talking of prejudices, what about the one you have you have with me? If Stuart Armstrong scored a hat trick of og's, you'd have a go at me for slating him for it.

Edited by Taylor1996

We play one way. When it works, we are quite good at it.

Sadlly other teams (sometimes the ones we are playing against) pick up on this

This was evident after 4 minutes today, the married up.

Not sure if the folks watching on TV saw somthing different, but our plan after 20 minutes seemed to be to fire balls into Dykes.  Which is fine if you are set to win the second ball.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm an Armstrong fan.

He was horrendous today.

We have improved under Clarke however we arent clinical enough and cruicially have a soft underbelly that you cant have in International football.

If you look at the 1st half they created next to nothing. We had several decent chances that we either didnt make the most of or werent clinical. We then totally switch off from a ball into the box. Nothing about the 1st goal was special if we organise properly. The warning signs were there 5 mins prior when they nearly go in from a knock down.

2nd half we were on top again. Hendry takes a shot where he had better options. That was poor but by no means should have been costly. We were still 2 on 2 with over half the pitch to run. Marshall standing miles out of his goals was criminal. Ppl have said that all top gks do that. They dont. Top GKs take up a position where they can cut out a long ball if required. 1) It wasnt required today as they didnt have pace up front 2) his starting position was way too high for a through ball even to be attempted.

Thereafter we needed urgency and composure. We had neither. 

We have the makings of a good teams but we are still miles off as today and recent peformances have shown.

But we cant get too down. Gilmour, Paterson and Turnbull will come in at some point. We have more strength in depth than anytime in last 20 years and most of the squad have age on their side.

This tournament might be a step too far but it wont be another 20 years before we are back.

35 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

I'm an Armstrong fan.

He was horrendous today.

Thank you!

Five different people have now said the exact same thing, but I get singled out because certain people can't let their prejudices go.

Someone call Alanis Morissette, as that's ironic.

33 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Steve Clarke bottled it today. 
The Czechs were there for the taking. 

I'm not sure it was a tactical thing, but, our plan A seemed to be to launch aimless balls up to Dykes from all angles. I've looked at the stats, he won 6 out of 16.

It was mindless at times.

Most the time the midfield was missed out entirely. 

I remember when Duncan Ferguson played for us, all we used to do was lump it up to him  - no wonder he never scored for us!