Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Lay off O'Donnell. Put in a great challenge early on to dispossess Christie 👍

Holy shit, what utter push. You’re as blinded by how crap O’Donkey is by his Kille connections as Clarke is, he was terrible. Unless we play our best players we don’t deserve to win. Clarke is a clown and must go after this.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Tulli said:

Holy shit, what utter push. You’re as blinded by how crap O’Donkey is by his Kille connections as Clarke is, he was terrible. Unless we play our best players we don’t deserve to win. Clarke is a clown and must go after this.

Ha ha. Whoosh of the highest order. 

We created a load of decent scoring opportunities but we just don't have the quality of player to make those chances count. They scored with two top class finishes from a player who would walk into our first team and probably be our best player this century. Apart from wee Barry maybe?;)

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup I agree with the majority of that.

Hendry was merely looking to have a shot when we had a spell of pressure. How is he to know it will ricochet to one of their platers in the clear? It was Marshall ay fault for being far too far off his line. Our lack of a quality striker is evident compared to the Czechs and it cost us badly. You cannot expect to get results in a major tournament if you miss so many chances.

problem is we still haven't got anyone obviously better than Dykes   Mcburnies certainly not the answer, Shankland, Nisbet don't appear to be either. Adams might be, no u21s look promising. Only thing I can think of is abandoning the one up front and pushing Fraser or Forrest inside. The striker cupboard is bare, has been for some time and looks like it will be for some time.

Decent performance... Made plenty chances.  The difference is simply Czechs were more clinical when it counted.  The Czechs learned from our last match (when we beat them) and man-marked McGinn out of the game.

Deflated would sum up my main feeling.  We got beat 2-0 but didn't really deserve that.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Once we’ve inevitably duffed this tournament, I’ll judge Clarke on his reaction.

If it’s out with the old and in with the new, he’ll get my full backing.

However, if he continues to show loyalty to the likes of O’Donnell, McGregor, Forrest and the like, I’d be having reservations. 

I’m not even having a massive go at these players. They’ve done us a turn in the past, but they are not good enough to be blocking some of the emerging talent. 

Not sure why McGregor and Forrest getting singled out. They didn't start! And played OK when they came on.

Reminded me a bit of euro 92 v dutch and germans ; lots of ball , lots of huffing and puffing ; but never really clinical or showing poor technique when it mattered ; i did believe though that with likes of andy robertson getting a chance compared to mcpherson etc would show more composure ; he didnt seem to learn from an almost identical chance tho away to serbia to keep the ball down ; least was on target but made it too easy for their keeper ; who was outstanding

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Much overlooked though is the great blow of having Kieran Tierney missing. He always provides an additional attacking threat and he was sorely missed today. He is one of our most influential players without a doubt and one of our best players. When I heard he was out the alarm bells began ringing.

Yeh agreed, actually when McTominay went back into defence we at least looked liked we could play it out a bit better.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

sentimentality is costing us again, O'Donnell was absolutely dreadful from the minute the whistle went. Marshall being so far off his line was inexcusable. Yes Hendry taking on a shot was ridiculous but after seeing just how far he was off his line i have no idea what he was thinking giving he's never been a sweeper keeper in his career. Dykes offered so little and his finishing was way off it. Robertson's deliveries deserved so much better.

Patterson Adams Gilmour should have all started with the system clarke went. A real let down all in all today.

Agree with all of this. This game was vital for getting out the group and it was a very even game. Swap strikers and we win today. 

1 minute ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Agree with all of this. This game was vital for getting out the group and it was a very even game. Swap strikers and we win today. 

In hindsight (marvellous thing)....yes. I think we should go really out there with the selection V England. Something like this:-

Gordon

Hendry            Cooper            Tierney

Patterson                                                                                                         Robertson

McGinn               Gilmour                  Armstrong

Adams                   Dykes

Cool. I vote Marshall, O'Donnell and Clarke.

I blame McBurnie. He abdicated his role as TAMB scapegoat by selfishly getting himself injuried before the tournament, leaving others to have the invective heaped upon them instead.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Not sure why McGregor and Forrest getting singled out. They didn't start! And played OK when they came on.

Got to disagree Duncan. For me McGregor was as anonymous as the rest of the midfield and Forrest was like the old James Forrest who used to flatter to deceive before coming up with zero end product.

That said, the main point I was making is that for me these guys are not the future. 

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Cannae believe folk are giving Hendry pelters about taking the shot on. dandydunn’s infantile knickerwetting was particularly hilarious.  The way the ball broke for the Czechs was pure luck and the finish was exquisite. If anyone was at fault it was Marshall but sometimes you just have to applaud a piece of skill and awareness like that. 

Summary for me.
Yes some big players bottled it today, but the main reason we lost and the main reason we can’t complete at this level, is our lack of firepower.
Despite the fact we were poor, we still created plenty of chances, but just weren’t good enough to take them.
The Czechs were clinical, we weren’t. Simple as that.

I don’t see a clear chance at goal with his shot, did you see something that I didn’t?

Theres two defenders and a goalie to beat that has the near post covered, but because he scored in a friendly, it means he should take it on all the time?

You keep living in cuckoo land, I’ll live in reality with the fact that losing possession cost a goal. 

91A768A0-B1C0-4AFB-9811-93FE08388450.jpeg

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I blame McBurnie. He abdicated his role as TAMB scapegoat by selfishly getting himself injuried before the tournament, leaving others to have the invective heaped upon them instead.

You may joke, but once the gerbil gets going in the heads of a few people here, McBurnie will get the brunt of the blame.

Probably because he wears his sock down with no shin pads. Everyone who is anyone knows that that kind of behaviour is riddled with Gypy curses and/or Witches.

Cool. I vote Marshall, O'Donnell and Clarke.

🤣 🤣 Who wants a tenner when we eventually find out that Clarke had told Marshall to take up a back-up centre half role when we are attacking in their half??

As for SOD, letting one ball run under your foot makes you look a bit silly in a league game. Doing it twice within 10mins when the world is watching is demonstrating a rare skill in the modern era. Add that to then running into Christie when he was on a 'Gemmell 78 run' then stopping short to allow them plenty of time to pinpoint a cross for the first goal makes me think he was priming himself for Channel Five in a future '20 greatest Football Blunders - and all in the one game!!' single player 3-hour special. 🥴

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The team that started against the netherlands is what I would of went for obviously minus Tierney. I was baffled at the starting line up today. 

There's hindsight, then there's trying to claim that you wouldn't have played McGinn or McTominay today 

49 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Much overlooked though is the great blow of having Kieran Tierney missing. He always provides an additional attacking threat and he was sorely missed today. He is one of our most influential players without a doubt and one of our best players. When I heard he was out the alarm bells began ringing.

I want to know the inside story here. When and how did he get injured? He looked fine v Netherlands and Luxembourg. Was Clarke lying when he said he had no injury concerns? Something fishy here.