Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic match thread🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mazda said:

Marshall made the same error in judgement by running to the touchline in 1st half , but got away with it then.

& then he repeated !

Bizarre behaviour at this level.

Hendry was stupid for shooting but yes can't believe how far up the pitch he was for that, wasn't far off the halfway line when just ouside edge of the box and no way Czech CF (given how trying to spell his surname) would shoot.

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We can't blame SoD for this - neither goal was his fault - Hanley and Cooper were both outjumped by Schick. As for Gilmour and Patterson  - too much to ask them to turn this game around; they need to come on when we're winning.

He isn't to blame for any goal. He's to blame for being completely ineffective down the right. We needed to go for a goal and he offered absolutely nothing. Forrest did more in a few minutes than O'Donnell did the entire game.

1 minute ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I doubt Gilmour starts on Friday. It will probably be McGregor in for Armstrong. It should be Gilmour but I think Clarke will go with a trusted lieutenant.

I can see O'Donnell starting against England. Forrest and Fraser aren't good defensively and Clarke will probably think Patterson is too inexperienced for the game.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Agreed, but let's at least hope Gilmour plays though the fact he wasn't used today is a bad sign.

2 minutes ago, bonzo said:

It really is the hope that kills you.

It's just so disappointing that we have more or less fukked it in our first match. I was quite reasonable in my expectations in that all I wanted was 1 win in the groups but even that is highly unlikely now. 

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hendry was stupid for shooting but yes can't believe how far up the pitch he was for that, wasn't far off the halfway line when just ouside edge of the box and no way Czech CF (given how trying to spell his surname) would shoot.

Marshall was at fault for that goal imo. 

8 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I doubt Gilmour starts on Friday. It will probably be McGregor in for Armstrong. It should be Gilmour but I think Clarke will go with a trusted lieutenant.

I can see O'Donnell starting against England. Forrest and Fraser aren't good defensively and Clarke will probably think Patterson is too inexperienced for the game.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

How do you gain experiemce without getting experience of it?

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He did plenty wrong 

You think? he had couple of silly moments early but he wasn't really at fault for the goals. I think he played poor but he wasn't terrible but there is way better options who are clearly better technically than him. 

Aye - bear in mind half the crowd were probably yelling SHOOT! Marshall has to take the rap for being so far off his line.

Big stage! Play nominally  our weakest opponent! AND WE GET TO PLAY AT HAMPDEN!

And still we mess it up. What an opportunity missed. All those kids who got off schoolwork now lost to the cause. I fear Friday could be brutal.

Have we reached our level? We just didn't have the class for the final strike.

Positives: Robertson, Che Adams, Nisbet. McGinn.

The best we can hope is that we go to Wembley like in 1999. When we were written off, but at least won the game.

Grim. Really grim. Possession and shots stats might suggest otherwise, but thought we were poor. Czechs could quite easily have scored 3 or 4. 

Lack of energy, movement, pace. Everything that was good about the warm up games was missing. For all of our options in midfield, felt they were MIA for most of first half. McGinn tried to take control second half but was fighting a losing battle. Game passed McTominay by. Armstrong ran about a lot. O'Donnell just not good enough. 

Not going to blame Hendry, other than it showed a lack of experience. Marshall's positioning looked more culpable. Might have still scored though had they continued the counter attack. 

Really like Dykes and what he brings to the team but it's becoming harder to justify his inclusion if he can't convert. 

All in all, we looked like rabbits caught in the headlights. Occasion was too much for us. Hugely disappointing. Friday could be grim. Almost our whole tournament was built upon today's game. Clarke got a job on his hands correctly the mistakes of today and trying to get something from that game. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He made some errors today but overall he's been good last 18 months. 

Yes agreed and I've said that so was well worthy taking us into these games and built some great momentum.  But winning 3 games in a knockout competition is a different level and needs a different kind of decision making. Clarke has proved so far he hasn't got it at this level. I thought he would have learnt that but maybe he just doesn't have it. 

Corners have to be one of the best opportunities for a team toiling to score from open play. You can't predict where or when you'll get a free kick, but you can often trade in a hard won attacking position for a corner. We should have a plan B and a plan C.