Croatia vs England - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Croatia vs England

Guest Scot1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Croatia look very much like a team who think they will beat us and the Czechs comfortably and will go through in second place with 6 points. They really don’t look interested in winning this game. 

It was a very flat kind of game, almost like a pre-season friendly.  That might have had something to do with the conditions, but it crossed my mind too that Croatia were treating treating it as a free hit.  If so, they're more likely to pull their fingers out against us and the Czechs.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Must be the first time I've ever heard persistent fouling described as "being cute" and an "art form".  :lol:  Got to love the English commentators.

I always felt Jenas was one of the BBC's better pundits too.  🤦‍♂️

It's like a objectivity-reducing mode called 'Little England' is activated whenever their national team is playing in a tournament.

The heat must have affected the tempo but regardless neither side impressed. I certainly didn't see this swagger that the pundits are on about. How Phillips got through 90 minutes without picking up a yellow is a puzzle! 

A comfortable 1-0 win for England.

England created all the chances in the first half and must have been kicking themselves they weren't ahead. Both teams then slipped into the mode of petrified of not losing until England scored and at that point it was game over. Croatia were, as the pundits said, toothless in attack. The key for us getting at them will be utilising the pace of Robertson and Tierney as they look one-paced across the pitch. We need to do a job shutting down the Modric threat. If we can keep him quiet then we are in with a good chance of getting a result.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

The heat must have affected the tempo but regardless neither side impressed. I certainly didn't see this swagger that the pundits are on about. How Phillips got through 90 minutes without picking up a yellow is a puzzle! 

Think the heat must be affecting the pundits too or they were watching a different game. I have been a bit pessimistic about our chances in this group but I genuinely saw nothing to fear from either team. 
I still think an England win was the best result for us. If Croatia were indeed writing this game off with a view to beating us and czech rep they are playing a dangerous game. 

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d have no problems putting Gilmour in against any of those 2 midfields

Absolutely! 

We shouldn't read too much into an opening game, but neither of those teams were particularly impressive. 

Croatia are beatable and we shouldn't be running scared of England either. If Clarke can get his tactics right, which I think he will, we will be able to give them a good game. Croatia's defensive shape was all over the place at times today. England should have exploited it more.

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Think the heat must be affecting the pundits too or they were watching a different game. I have been a bit pessimistic about our chances in this group but I genuinely saw nothing to fear from either team. 
I still think an England win was the best result for us. If Croatia were indeed writing this game off with a view to beating us and czech rep they are playing a dangerous game. 

I think England are one of numerous teams who could win it but the hype is getting well ahead of themselves. 

Thought they looked ropey at the back despite having little to  do and apart from Phillips and possibly Mount didn’t think anyone else had a particularly good game.

Croatia looked poor - their game v the Czechs will be interesting.

Remember the first 20 mins was very fast pace and was not really sustainable in the conditions. It then went a bit cat and mouse but Croatia didn't really take advantage and did look second best for most of the game. Southgate made a few questionable selections but it paid off. Phillips,  Sterling and Mingsall played well and will give them confidence so can't be taken lightly. 

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think England are one of numerous teams who could win it but the hype is getting well ahead of themselves. 

Thought they looked ropey at the back despite having little to  do and apart from Phillips and possibly Mount didn’t think anyone else had a particularly good game.

Croatia looked poor - their game v the Czechs will be interesting.

Yes. If , and I am in no way thinking it is a given, we can beat Czechs tomorrow,  it really will make the Croatia/ Czech game very interesting. Both teams will need to get something from it. 

Guest Scot1

Gilmour on his day could run that England midfield ragged.

Tierney / Robbo can get joy down their right 

Our Right hand side is a bit of a worry, they do have real pace there with Sterling

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fair point.

Find a stadium with a roof and air conditioning. ;)

I am hoping we lure the czechs into a sense of security with a warm , breezy continental summer today, then hit them tomorrow with a 10 degree drop in temperature  into a traditional baltic Scottish summer 😁

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am hoping we lure the czechs into a sense of security with a warm , breezy continental summer today, then hit them tomorrow with a 10 degree drop in temperature  into a traditional baltic Scottish summer 😁

Yep.

Our freaky "summer" weather is our 12th man.

Sun, rain, cloud, gales and maybe snow over the vastness of 90 minutes.

We might as well count the W. ;)

56 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Hype seems to be going through the roof here , they were competent nothing more.

Errr no it isn’t. Not one pundit has picked us to win it and we’ve just won our opening game nothing more than that. It was a deserved win. 
good luck tomorrow 😘

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes. If , and I am in no way thinking it is a given, we can beat Czechs tomorrow,  it really will make the Croatia/ Czech game very interesting. Both teams will need to get something from it. 

By the time we play England, Croatia, us and England could all have 3 points. Wonder how that affects the dynamic?

1 minute ago, Nobby said:

Errr no it isn’t. Not one pundit has picked us to win it and we’ve just won our opening game nothing more than that. It was a deserved win. 
good luck tomorrow 😘

I don't think even Stevie Wonder could deny it being a deserved win. It was a weird match. England started really well then the pace dropped right off and both teams looked more frightened of losing then England got the goal and from then on it was game over. Croatia were very disappointing in attack. England did what they had to do. If Scotland do the same tomorrow I'll be more than happy.

3 minutes ago, Nobby said:

good luck tomorrow 😘

Well done 🤥

impressed with your boys in the first quarter and not surprised at Foden and Mount contribution. Your MoM Philips treads a fine line . Sort you want in your team .

a bit fortunate with the ref making the best block on Modric in the first half. 

things don’t seem so hyper down here at the moment but 55 years of hurt will do that .

Croatia did show they have the worst form over last ten games of all teams at the finals. Hope it stays that way . Roll on tomorrow.