Wales - Page 2 - General Euro 2020 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wales

Toepoke

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Indeed. Don't get the hate for Wales among our support. A small country punching above their weight, good luck to them.

More jealousy I think. Remember that we were greetin' about 23 years of hurt of not qualifying well Wales had over 50 years of that prior to them qualifying for Euro 2016. Thing is instead of mucking it up they found a way to go deep there and are getting out of the First Round here too. Also they qualified through the qualifying groups whereas we got in through the back door. Too many of our supporters portray England supporter traits of thinking their side is better than we are. Us qualifying is a massive boost to moral for the country and it raises the profile of the sport in Scotland and now that we have made it we have got to continue working to improve further as we clearly need to do. The job is far from finished.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Indeed. Don't get the hate for Wales among our support. A small country punching above their weight, good luck to them.

I felt exactly the same seeing the reactions to Ireland's success in the recent past. (That one was put down the usual reasons but seeing the same with Wales makes you realize it is not just the usual sectarian yawn.)

It is jealousy I think, on more than a footballing level as well. Scotland is a bit of a joke nation in comparison (even to Wales) and I think some feel it more acutely seeing countries like Wales and Ireland 'punching above their weight'. Because really it just highlights that we have always, consistently, without fail and with no sign of change, punched well below our weight.

We are more than a bit in danger of becoming a world joke, the perennial losers who amusingly over compensate for it by dressing up in swathes of tartan and kilts etc etc... Yet we very rarely play as a 'team' like the way the Czechs do or the Germans do for example. The sum of their parts is always more than the whole, with us it is always the opposite. Good players adding up to a shite team performance for the millionth time.

We are fucking rubbish yet after 23 years in the wilderness our goalie is trying out cutting edge tactics like playing in midfield in the first game resulting in us being out before we start yet again. So I really don't wish to sound negative, quite the opposite, I have not laughed that hard in ages. 

Normally in the past we would go into plucky loser mode for the England game but this time I am not sure we can even rely on the glorious part being attached to the failure. I fear a humping. There is blood in the water, and it is ours! :lol:

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

I felt exactly the same seeing the reactions to Ireland's success in the recent past. (That one was put down the usual reasons but seeing the same with Wales makes you realize it is not just the usual sectarian yawn.)

It is jealousy I think, on more than a footballing level as well. Scotland is a bit of a joke nation in comparison (even to Wales) and I think some feel it more acutely seeing countries like Wales and Ireland 'punching above their weight'. Because really it just highlights that we have always, consistently, without fail and with no sign of change, punched well below our weight.

We are more than a bit in danger of becoming a world joke, the perennial losers who amusingly over compensate for it by dressing up in swathes of tartan and kilts etc etc... Yet we very rarely play as a 'team' like the way the Czechs do or the Germans do for example. The sum of their parts is always more than the whole, with us it is always the opposite. Good players adding up to a shite team performance for the millionth time.

We are fucking rubbish yet after 23 years in the wilderness our goalie is trying out cutting edge tactics like playing in midfield in the first game resulting in us being out before we start yet again. So I really don't wish to sound negative, quite the opposite, I have not laughed that hard in ages. 

Normally in the past we would go into plucky loser mode for the England game but this time I am not sure we can even rely on the glorious part being attached to the failure. I fear a humping. There is blood in the water, and it is ours! :lol:

Great post, couldn’t agree more. Big players turn up in big games, where are ours?