What would be a 'good' tournament? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would be a 'good' tournament?

exile

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It absolutely isn't which was my point.

Hence why I think reaching the last 16 of these Euros would be a greater achievement than qualifying for a 16 team tournament. 

Fair enough. I must have picked you up wrong. 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The world Cups in 74 and 78 were 16 team tournaments. Not really sure if that counts. 

To me its a fallacy about 16 team tournaments. Since those days many more countries enter the tournaments qualifying phase. So much more strength in depth across Europe and the globe. For example the 1974 World Cup had 99 countries going through the qualifying phase and the 2018 World Cup had 212 teams entering the qualifying phase. Double the entrants so only fair its double the qualifiers.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

About 100 teams entered both those competitions. We had to qualify to get to the "last 16".

Yes but the competition is more severe nowadays hence you get more qualifiers for the finals. The last '16' is not comparable to 74 and 78 for that reason. The bottom line is we have NEVER got past the First Round phase before. Scotland in the Second Round has NEVER happened. We do that here and it far exceeds anything we have achieved in the past.

Last 16 for me.

R.O.I, Wales and Northern Ireland all achieved it last time out. Northern Ireland got through with one win and two defeats in the end.

Big part of that depends on today of course, no real logic just to play for a draw.

Yesterday's result was good and Croatia are nowhere near what they were in 2018 so I'm hopeful for a draw from that especially with the good historical record v them.

Czechs are decent but again worse groups to be in this than this one and home advantage for two games aswell won't happen again in any future tournament.

Just putting things back in perspective.... tournament first game joy/agony since 1974:

82 - won the first game against the weakest team by 3 goals.

74 - won the first game against the weakest team by 2 goals.

96 - drew with one of the stronger teams in the group, kept a clean sheet.

98 - lost narrowly to Brazil, one of the tournament favourites. Scored a goal.

92 - lost narrowly to Netherlands, the reigning European Champions. Did not score a goal.

86 - lost narrowly to Denmark, who though seeded lower were one of the liveliest teams and won the group.

90 - lost narrowly to debutants Costa Rica (who nevertheless were on the up, and qualified from the group).

78 - lost by 2 goals to Peru, in what was considered a shock defeat. After having led, and having a penalty saved.

20/21 - lost by 2 goals to the least fancied team in group (other than us). At home. Failed to score.

😒

3 minutes ago, exile said:

Just putting things back in perspective.... tournament first game joy/agony since 1974:

82 - won the first game against the weakest team by 3 goals.

74 - won the first game against the weakest team by 2 goals.

96 - drew with one of the stronger teams in the group, kept a clean sheet.

98 - lost narrowly to Brazil, one of the tournament favourites. Scored a goal.

92 - lost narrowly to Netherlands, the reigning European Champions. Did not score a goal.

86 - lost narrowly to Denmark, who though seeded lower were one of the liveliest teams and won the group.

90 - lost narrowly to debutants Costa Rica (who nevertheless were on the up, and qualified from the group).

78 - lost by 2 goals to Peru, in what was considered a shock defeat. After having led, and having a penalty saved.

20/21 - lost by 2 goals to the least fancied team in group (other than us). At home. Failed to score.

😒

We're slower starters than Usain Bolt, without the recovery speed.

My big hope now is that England's usual over-confidence is at record levels having watched us make a mess of home advantage and rewinding and replaying the Keystone Kops bits of today's game (O'Donnell tackling Christie, Marshall being practically in Lesser Hampden for the second goal). And instead we turn up and are somehow adequate.

I've no doubt we'll give everything on Friday. Yet to read any match reports and still let it sink in, but they'll be in bullish mood for the game. 

Main worry is that we do the VERY Scottish thing of playing extremely well and all the Anglo media will be giving it the ''canny, proud Jocks,'' etc but taking 0 pts from this game. 

The key to us doing anything really is taking a point from this match which will be very hard, but you never know!

1 minute ago, weekevie04 said:

I've no doubt we'll give everything on Friday. Yet to read any match reports and still let it sink in, but they'll be in bullish mood for the game. 

Main worry is that we do the VERY Scottish thing of playing extremely well and all the Anglo media will be giving it the ''canny, proud Jocks,'' etc but taking 0 pts from this game. 

The key to us doing anything really is taking a point from this match which will be very hard, but you never know!

And taking a point probably means taking the lead but conceding agonisingly.

As opposed to sturdily defending then conceding agonisingly.

In perspective, tournament results against the top team on our group:

78 - Won (but not by enough)

74 - Drew

86, 98 - Lost by one goal (but scored)

90 - Lost by one goal

92, 96 - Lost by 2 goals

82 - Lost by 3 goals

So a good result would be not losing.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but the competition is more severe nowadays hence you get more qualifiers for the finals. The last '16' is not comparable to 74 and 78 for that reason. The bottom line is we have NEVER got past the First Round phase before. Scotland in the Second Round has NEVER happened. We do that here and it far exceeds anything we have achieved in the past.

Bollocks

Lets see now far less teams took part in the 70s and 80s. Your whipping boys of those days were teams like Finland, Iceland, Wales have all grown far beyond that. To qualify Scotland had groups of three or four teams in it - far different today with far more banana skins. It really isn't up for debate.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets see now far less teams took part in the 70s and 80s. Your whipping boys of those days were teams like Finland, Iceland, Wales have all grown far beyond that. To qualify Scotland had groups of three or four teams in it - far different today with far more banana skins. It really isn't up for debate.

Only 9 european teams qualified. We needed to be one of the top 9 european teams just to qualify. Now most sensible folk think we won't be in the top 16. We only got into the last 24 by beating Albania and Israel then winning two penalty shootouts.