The Mathematics Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

Going by the current standings it's looking most likely groups A and B would miss out in the 3rd place ranking, meaning if we beat Croatia it would be Sweden at Hampden in round 2. You couldn't complain about that.

We could then potentially meet England again in Rome in the quarters!

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Going by the current standings it's looking most likely groups A and B would miss out in the 3rd place ranking, meaning if we beat Croatia it would be Sweden at Hampden in round 2. You couldn't complain about that.

We could then potentially meet England again in Rome in the quarters!

Is it not more likely to be Spain? They haven't played their 2nd game yet.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Possibly, they'll need to start scoring though.

Aye, if they win tonight I think Spain will be favorites to win the group.

I think England might go for a draw in their game on Tuesday. They will shitting themselves at the prospect of Germany in the round of 16. :lol:

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I think England might go for a draw in their game on Tuesday. They will shitting themselves at the prospect of Germany in the round of 16. :lol:

I wonder if the Czechs get wind that we are winning at Hampden they'll chuck in a goal or two to avoid that possibility for themselves? :-))

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes if Spain win tonight it will put them on 4 points with final game against Slovakia who are on 3 points. Sweden already on 4 points. If spain win their next two games they win the group and that group's third placed team will at best finish on three points.

At least we'll know groups A B & C final positions before we play.

Then if we do get ahead against the Croats, we'll have a better idea of what more we can achieve or not.

Winning is essential minimum (else we finish bottom). Anything thereafter will just add to the fun !

So with the final round coming up here's what we're looking for:-

Group A

Switzerland v Turkey - Any score other than a Swiss win by 2 or more goals. Otherwise Italy need to put 4 past Wales. 

Group B

Belgium to beat Finland. If they don't Russia mustn't beat Denmark. 

Group C

An unlikely victor between Austria and Ukraine 

Group E

Sweden not to lose to Poland. If they do it has to be by 3 goals.

Group F

France to beat Portugal (or Portugal to win by 3). Otherwise we need Germany to lose to Hungary by just 1 goal.

Only two of the above scenarios happening would mean a win of any kind v Croatia sees us through. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Group A

Switzerland v Turkey - Any score other than a Swiss win by 2 or more goals. Otherwise Italy need to put 4 past Wales. 

Group B

Group C

Group E

Group F

France to beat Portugal (or Portugal to win by 3). Otherwise we need Germany to lose to Hungary by just 1 goal.

Only two of the above scenarios happening would mean a win of any kind v Croatia sees us through. 

So if 3 of them happen we might need a win by 2 goals or more? 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group E

Group F

For Group E, it would be helpful if Spain failed to win 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So if 3 of them happen we might need a win by 2 goals or more? 

Yeah I got Group B a wee bit wrong. If Russia and Finland finish on 4 points, the Finns would be third on the H2H, therefore we'd need a 3 goal victory to eclipse them.

Probably a good thing Croatia are in the same position as us and must win to have a chance of qualifying. 

Should make for a nail biting night / morning! 

Not been that impressed by them so far, especially in the England game but no doubt still a quality team. 

I'm starting to be hopeful that we will know exactly what we need to do before we kick off on Tuesday. Hopefully any victory will do. Then we can celebrate straight after full time. :lol:

For today's games we want Turkey to beat Switzerland, a draw, or a one goal win for Switzerland. If Switzerland put a few past Turkey, a 4 goal victory for Italy over Wales would be good.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm starting to be hopeful that we will know exactly what we need to do before we kick off on Tuesday. Hopefully any victory will do. Then we can celebrate straight after full time. :lol:

For today's games we want Turkey to beat Switzerland, a draw, or a one goal win for Switzerland. If Switzerland put a few past Turkey, a 4 goal victory for Italy over Wales would be good.

Be brutal if we have to wait until Wednesday.

Ideally as you say we want to know where we stand exactly by Tuesday so we know if we win, we ARE through 🤞🏼

There is this general concensus that Ukraine and Austria will play routinely for a draw but they cannot afford to as, they like us, may risk losing out on goal difference with four points. They play their final fame tomorrow tea-time and only one other group will have been completed by that time. If we are sweating about four points not being enough (if we get them) then the Austrian and Ukrainian squads/coaches will have done the same maths.