The Mathematics Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We have to take a point from the England game 

A draw sets us up nicely, a loss is not the end but a heavy loss or 2+ would be very detrimental and as other groups play out their 3rd matches could well equal the end for us.

Hold on a minute. I might be talkin pish here, and it’s all ifs and buts….but…. If in group A final games Switzerland and Turkey draw, and in group B Belgium beat Finland and Denmark don’t beat Russia, all we’d to do is beat Croatia in the last game to qualify, even if we get pumped at Wembley. 
That’s not an unthinkable sequence of events.

6 minutes ago, Marky said:

Hold on a minute. I might be talkin pish here, and it’s all ifs and buts….but…. If in group A final games Switzerland and Turkey draw, and in group B Belgium beat Finland and Denmark don’t beat Russia, all we’d to do is beat Croatia in the last game to qualify, even if we get pumped at Wembley. 
That’s not an unthinkable sequence of events.

Anything bar a Swiss win in Group A is good news for 3rd in our group given Turkey's goal difference. 

You'd want Denmark to take a few off the Russians, and Finland to lose.

Those circumstances could leave us just needing a win v Croatia, if we avoid a hammering tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Anything bar a Swiss win in Group A is good news for 3rd in our group given Turkey's goal difference. 

You'd want Denmark to take a few off the Russians, and Finland to lose.

Those circumstances could leave us just needing a win v Croatia, if we avoid a hammering tomorrow. 

Eh? I don’t get that. Why would we want Denmark to beat Russia at all, never mind pump them??

11 minutes ago, Marky said:

Eh? I don’t get that. Why would we want Denmark to beat Russia at all, never mind pump them??

Assuming Belgium beat Finland, that would leave three teams on 3 points. If Denmark bag a few they would be group runners up on the 3 way head to head. Russia would be third as they beat Finland, so Ideally you'd want them to have a poor goal difference. 

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

If we beat England 2-0 the Czech's beat Croatia, England beat the Czech's 2-0 and we beat Croatia it will come down to who beats the Croatians by the most to decide who wins the group?

3-1 win against England would be better than 2-0. We're bound to concede one goal. ;)

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

If we beat England 2-0 the Czech's beat Croatia, England beat the Czech's 2-0 and we beat Croatia it will come down to who beats the Croatians by the most to decide who wins the group?

Yep and if Croatia lose their 3 games 1-0 it goes to disciplinary records to decide the placings.

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's all very nice discussing this but can we actually beat England or croatia. Croatia is probably our best bet but its still a tough ask. 

Of course we won't. We might get a battling draw against Croatia and both of us go out.

Another interesting (if unlikely) scenario. We win 2-0 tomorrow and Croatia win 2-1. In the last round England beat the Czechs and we draw with Croatia. We would have to have a penalty shootout at full time to decide 2nd and 3rd place in the group. 

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Another interesting (if unlikely) scenario. We win 2-0 tomorrow and Croatia win 2-1. In the last round England beat the Czechs and we draw with Croatia. We would have to have a penalty shootout at full time to decide 2nd and 3rd place in the group. 

I would take that right now.

9 hours ago, romanticscot said:

A draw sets us up nicely, a loss is not the end but a heavy loss or 2+ would be very detrimental and as other groups play out their 3rd matches could well equal the end for us.

A loss is the end

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Assuming Belgium beat Finland, that would leave three teams on 3 points. If Denmark bag a few they would be group runners up on the 3 way head to head. Russia would be third as they beat Finland, so Ideally you'd want them to have a poor goal difference. 

I think this was bollocks fae me. Denmark pumping Russia would put the Russians bottom on the three way head to head. You'd be looking for Belgium to scutch the Finns to hurt their overall GD.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think this was bollocks fae me. Denmark pumping Russia would put the Russians bottom on the three way head to head. You'd be looking for Belgium to scutch the Finns to hurt their overall GD.

Yes in that group the ideal scenario for Scotland would be Belgium thrashing Finland to leave them on a goal difference of -3 or -4. The other game would see a draw or a Russia win leaving Finland as the third placed side with a negative goal difference with three points.