The Mathematics Thread - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

If Spain and France's group (along with ours) provide the remaining best 3rd placed teams then we'll be at Hampden. 

Any other combination and we'll be playing Netherlands in Budapest. 

Unless we finish second of course. Unlikely but still possible. 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Scotland will be inspired by Denmark, seemingly down and out, who absolutely had to win and also overhaul Finland's goal difference. Of course they would have had the confidence of already scoring against Belgium.

7 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

If Spain and France's group (along with ours) provide the remaining best 3rd placed teams then we'll be at Hampden. 

Any other combination and we'll be playing Netherlands in Budapest. 

Edited to add - If Spain beat Slovakia and Sweden avoid defeat against Poland then Slovakia would finish 3rd in that group and depending on the score with Spain would likely miss out on a best 3rd place. 

Would put the winner of our game in Budapest 

Just looking at Spain’s group now as well. Spain win by two goals, Swedes avoid defeat, and that’s Ukraine in group C going through, instead of Slovakia in Group E. 

Its hopefully going to be two days, not just one, of interesting viewing. 

Budapest more likely than Glasgow, Spain have to click at some point, you’d think. 

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Just looking at Spain’s group now as well. Spain win by two goals, Swedes avoid defeat, and that’s Ukraine in group C going through, instead of Slovakia in Group E. 

Its hopefully going to be two days, not just one, of interesting viewing. 

Budapest more likely than Glasgow, Spain have to click at some point, you’d think. 

Have to agree with that sadly since I've been bunging likely(?) scores into the spreadsheet I downloaded.

Poland beating Sweden might reverse that though.

Can't be fussy though.   Any win will do please boys.

56 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes 74,78,82,86,90

1954 and 58 too.

In 54 we had to beat Uruguay to force a play-off (no goal difference in those days). Lost 7-0 :(

1958, had to beat France to get a play-off with Paraguay, lost 2-1.

Good thing is we can’t go out on goal difference, head to head or disciplinary record or anything like that. If we go out this time it will be because we failed to beat the Czechs or Croatia at home and there will be nobody to blame but ourselves. 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

This pretty much a whole new experience for you, what do you think so far?

Can’t quite get my head around it.

Was 9 in 1998 and my family had me going daft for it but with little understanding overall. 

Been home and away for somewhere approaching 18 years and been to both group games so I’ve taken in every bit of the experience. 

In shock it COULD happen tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

What happens if we win 1-0 and England get beat 2-0 ?

We would then be on same points, goal difference and goals scored with England.

I assume yellow cards would then decide 2nd place ?

Yes it would go down to disciplinary record in all group games. We currently have 2 yellow cards and they have one so they would need to pick up 2 more bookings than we do tonight. If disciplinary is also equal it would come down to who qualified better so England would finish second in the group. 

The only way I could see the Czechs winning tonight is if England get a man sent off so that would work in our favour. 

Let’s just hope we beat Croatia though and everything else will take care of itself. 

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Just saw Liam Cooper talking on sky sports and saying we might need more goals depending on what is happening elsewhere.

Have we missed something or is he talking about second place.

I hope the players know any win will do.

Of course they do. Or at least the majority will. 

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just saw Liam Cooper talking on sky sports and saying we might need more goals depending on what is happening elsewhere.

Have we missed something or is he talking about second place.

I hope the players know any win will do.

Seen that too. Can only assume he was answering a question about how we could finish second. 

31 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Seen that too. Can only assume he was answering a question about how we could finish second. 

It's a fairly irrelevant question now that a win guarantees qualification in 3rd with the added bonus of a potential game at Hampden.