The Mathematics Thread - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

That’s not right, if they said that, they are wrong. 

I thought that sounded a lot. Maybe they said 4 , not 24 🙄 I was a bit excited. 

Anyway the point still stands, just not as convincing  😁

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I thought that sounded a lot. Maybe they said 4 , not 24 🙄 I was a bit excited. 

Anyway the point still stands, just not as convincing  😁

They said the last 24 games in major tournaments. 

2 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

I'd say it's pretty much nailed on we will be back at Hampden if we win tomorrow. Playing the winners of Spain's group which looks like Sweden currently 

You sure?

The first game in Seville would be A, D, E or F

The next game in Bucharest would be A, B or C

Then it’s Hampden with A, B, C or D

The next game in Budapest with D, E or F

If B and C are out, that means A 3rd place would move to Bucharest, and we would then be next in line to play in Seville?

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

You sure?

If B and C are out, that means A 3rd place would move to Bucharest, and we would then be next in line to play in Seville?

I like to think I’m relatively switched on but I have no idea how they work out these 3rd placed games. 

You sure?

Don’t think so.

if B and C are out, it means 

1B v 3E 

1C v 3F

1E v 3D (Hampden)

1F v 3A

A further advantage of playing our next match at Hampden would be that if we get through, Gilmour would, I think, just be available for the QF in Rome (possibly against England again!) on 3/7. Not that I’m getting ahead of myself or anything!

Please let’s just pull it out the bag tomorrow.

Edited by Duncan Blackheart

26 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Wee stat at the end there saying Denmark havent scored anymore than 2 goals in any of their last 24 games. Gives us a wee bit of hope for tomorrow  ! 
Just hope they are back to normal by September right enough. 

Am I missing something? Why would that give us hope? 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Am I missing something? Why would that give us hope? 

I just mean that they have not been known for scoring a lot of goals ( in major tournaments) so maybe we are storing our goals up too ! No maths involved 😁

Jeezo.   Watching today's games was almost as stressful as watching us.

Right back in Fantasia, what are the travel rules for Budapest, Copenhagen and Seville from here? 😋

Edited by Grim Jim

Here’s the link to the table Templeton put a few posts up. If we assume that the 2 teams on 3 points after tonight are the ones that won’t go through, that means teams from ADEF will qualify and group D 3rd place would play winners of E. Short version is we won’t actually know till it’s all decided. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1290cbb79913-c5861b2a3aa0-1000--best-third-placed-teams-how-it-stands/

You sure?

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

I like to think I’m relatively switched on but I have no idea how they work out these 3rd placed games. 

This is what you need: 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1290cbb79913-c5861b2a3aa0-1000--best-third-placed-teams-how-it-stands/?iv=true

combine with this.... 

Outcome of table of top 4 finishers in link above will tell you which 4 group letter combo (below) applies. That then applies the pre-determined venues each group letter  

image.thumb.png.a08f5990f021519c35acf159e15fd651.png

19 minutes ago, kumnio said:

You sure?

We won’t know for sure until groups E and F are finished

Keeping this hypothetical:

We are all assuming we will beat Croatia, so we know for certain[sic] groups Groups A & D are supplying a 3rd place team.

Currently Group F looks strong to supply another with the teams already on 3 points. I assume the poster above feels it is likely Group E will supply the last team, Poland to beat Sweden and Spain to beat Slovakia would do that.

In this scenario we would be playing at Hampden in the last 16 against the winners of Group E

Switzerland definitely one of the best 3rd place. If we win then we are also. 

On 3 points and gd of -2 then Finland (group b) look gone. 

This leaves 3 options depending how the 3rd team finishes in groups E and F. Ukraine in group C on 3 points with -1 gd so beating that guantees qualification. If they make it then we would play Holland in Budapest. If they dont we play at Hampden. 

ACDE - we play Holland in Budapest

ACDF - we play Holland in Budapest.

ADEF - we play Spain, Sweden or Slovakia.               at Hampden

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

This leaves 3 options depending how the 3rd team finishes in groups E and F. Ukraine in group C on 3 points with -1 gd so beating that guantees qualification. If they make it then we would play Holland in Budapest. If they dont we play at Hampden. 

Beat me to it!!

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Great thanks 👍🏼

13 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

This is what you need: 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1290cbb79913-c5861b2a3aa0-1000--best-third-placed-teams-how-it-stands/?iv=true

combine with this.... 

Outcome of table of top 4 finishers in link above will tell you which 4 group letter combo (below) applies. That then applies the pre-determined venues each group letter  

image.thumb.png.a08f5990f021519c35acf159e15fd651.png

Cheers 👍 that makes sense.

I stupidly thought it would be less complicated than that, and would follow a logical pattern, how wrong I was 😂😂

Assuming it is A, D, E and F groups, then we are still at Hampden. Now, not to get ahead of ourselves. 

24 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I just mean that they have not been known for scoring a lot of goals ( in major tournaments) so maybe we are storing our goals up too ! No maths involved 😁

I see what you mean. I could be wrong but I don’t think we’ve ever failed to score at a tournament. Hopefully we won’t set a new precedent this time. 

If Spain and France's group (along with ours) provide the remaining best 3rd placed teams then we'll be at Hampden. 

Any other combination and we'll be playing Netherlands in Budapest. 

Edited to add - If Spain beat Slovakia and Sweden avoid defeat against Poland then Slovakia would finish 3rd in that group and depending on the score with Spain would likely miss out on a best 3rd place. 

Would put the winner of our game in Budapest 

Edited by Lion Rampant