The Mathematics Thread - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, exile said:

So it seems there are several 'likely' scenarios where we could go though if we beat Croatia. 

But beating Croatia is probably one of the less likely scenarios in the first place.

😂 it would appear  you missed your shot of ‘glass half full’ today Exile. 

My fear is that we actually do the business but fail to qualify through some random sequence of events elsewhere.  I think I would rather we get pumped 5-0 by Croatia  than crash out under those circumstances. 

14 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I agree that 6 is ludicrous, but I would be OK with 5 - if it came down to that. Much rather that than UEFA/FIFA ranking.

True, but if we end up going out because of a yellow for dissent (McGinn) it'll feel desperately unfair. Especially since you could argue Mount should have had a yellow.

8 minutes ago, Slide Tackle said:

Assuming we beat Croatia and its enough to go through, what determines if our games at Hampden or abroad?

It’s all a bit of a mystery, but there is a spread sheet that maps out all the variables of which third team is first, second, third, etc then allocates games accordingly. 

I just want to get through. Do not care where we play.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

11 minutes ago, Slide Tackle said:

Assuming we beat Croatia and its enough to go through, what determines if our games at Hampden or abroad?

'ere you go...

1161733482_Screenshot2021-05-27at10_59_3

Basically if there's a 3rd place qualifier from groups E and F along with us we'll be at Hampden. 

Edited by Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I don't think either really want to play for a draw anyway, Austria would be taking a big chance of someone else knocking them out on goal difference

And Austria want to taste getting through the group stages. Why risk playing a game of jeopardy?

Here's a conundrum. If Denmark beat Russia and Finland lose to Belgium, who the fuck ends up where. Russia, Finland and Denmark will all be on three points (great for us), but Finland beat Denmark (Finland go above Denmark), Russia beat Finland (Russia above Finland) and then Denmark beat Russia (Denmark should go above Russia, yet can't go above Finland because of head to head and Finland can't be pushed one place above Denmark as they lost to Russia who's above them😳). Hows that head to head worked out?!?

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Here's a conundrum. If Denmark beat Russia and Finland lose to Belgium, who the fuck ends up where. Russia, Finland and Denmark will all be on three points (great for us), but Finland beat Denmark, Russia beat Finland and then Denmark beat Russia😳. Hows that head to head worked out?!?

Goal difference then goals scored