The Mathematics Thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I THINK this is right..

So we need two of these :

Russia or Finland to lose - let's hope Belgium's no doubt B team have enough to see about the Finns.

Austria or Ukraine to win - this game can't be a draw.

Poland to not beat Sweden - could be done. Sweden are pretty sturdy, and whilst Poland were poor in the first game, they were much better last night.

France to beat Portugal.

Tomorrow will tell us lots with three groups completed so we will we will be somewhere in the four with two groups to do.

It’s the belgium or Spain group I feel would be the main targets to get ahead of , but a 2-0 win would take the waiting away I suspect 

6 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I THINK this is right..

Russia or Finland to lose - let's hope Belgium's no doubt B team have enough to see about the Finns.

Poland to not beat Sweden - could be done. Sweden are pretty sturdy, and whilst Poland were poor in the first game, they were much better last night.

France to beat Portugal.

Think a Russia draw is OK too with there goal difference.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Either scenario, I would be stunned if we got. Could see us beating Croatia, but it'll only be by a single goal, and they won't let in 5

Yes I would agree with that but stranger things have happened so we could win 2-0 or by two goals. Pre-tournament Turkey were being tipped as possible dark horses and look what's happened to them? Nothing is assured in football.

11 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I THINK this is right..

France to beat Portugal.

Russia draw is fine even if Finland win

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

They are on -1 if we win so are we, Most goals scored I would imagine

Yes sorry just seen that.

Also just realised that Group C goes first tomorrow so Austria and Ukraine cant really take a chance and play out a 0-0, incase a freak Finland result happened.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think a Russia draw is OK too with there goal difference.

Yes as long as Belgium beat Finland. If Finland draw they'd be the third placed side as Russia beat them in the head-to-head. so Belgium would have 7 points, Russia 4 points and Finland 4 points with at worse level goal difference which would mean we'd need a three goal win V Croatia to finish above them.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Anyone know what happens if England lose 2-0 and we win 1-0? Same points, same goals scored, conceded and against the same teams? 

Unlikely, I know, but there is still a small chance we could finish ahead of England in 2nd place.

It then comes down to disciplinary record.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes as long as Belgium beat Finland. If Finland draw they'd be the third placed side as Russia beat them in the head-to-head. so Belgium would have 7 points, Russia 4 points and Finland 4 points with at worse level goal difference which would mean we'd need a three goal win V Croatia to finish above them.

It's getting worse by the minute. 

Belgium are here to win the whole thing, if they don't rest 11 players I will be surprised.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Anyone know what happens if England lose 2-0 and we win 1-0? Same points, same goals scored, conceded and against the same teams? 

Unlikely, I know, but there is still a small chance we could finish ahead of England in 2nd place.

That scenario I believe it goes to who has scored the most, then who has conceded less and then some funky penalty shoot out that I have no idea how the logistics of that would happen but truthfully it's better than pulling a team fae a hat. 

Well Turkey scoring means we are the only side not to have scored.

We go into Croatia 'just' having to win by 2 goals, probably.

We have not won a tournament game for 25 years.

We have not scored more than one goal in 29 years (and that was when we were already out)

Still, hope dies hard. We're at home and it could yet be in our hands.