The Mathematics Thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Another interesting (if unlikely) scenario. We win 2-0 tomorrow and Croatia win 2-1. In the last round England beat the Czechs and we draw with Croatia. We would have to have a penalty shootout at full time to decide 2nd and 3rd place in the group. 

That would be excellent.

But what if the Czechs equalise with England after 5 minutes of injury time? All 4 teams end up on 4 points. we've all beaten each other on head to head. Czech Rep win the group on +1 GD, Scotland and Croatia Zero GD (penalty shootout), England go out on -1 GD. Happy days.

Or have I got that wrong, somebody check my arithmetic before I start getting too excited.

Now how do we go about scoring 2 goals against them without conceding any? :unsure:

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That would be excellent.

But what if the Czechs equalise with England after 5 minutes of injury time? All 4 teams end up on 4 points. we've all beaten each other on head to head. Czech Rep win the group on +1 GD, Scotland and Croatia Zero GD (penalty shootout), England go out on -1 GD. Happy days.

Or have I got that wrong, somebody check my arithmetic before I start getting too excited.

Now how do we go about scoring 2 goals against them without conceding any? :unsure:

Correct. England bottom in the scenario (even less likely than mine :lol: )

How about this for a challenge. Assuming England win all three games, a 1-0 win for Croatia today would mean:-

Scotland 3 Croatia 0 - we finish 2nd

Scotland 2 Croatia 0 - we finish 3rd

Scotland 1 Croatia 0 - we finish 4th

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

How about this for a challenge. Assuming England win all three games, a 1-0 win for Croatia today would mean:-

You suggesting then that really we want a Croatia win today? Can't see anything other than a Czech win though.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

As I understand it a 1-0 win for Croatia today and a 1-0 win for us against them we would finish third on head-to-head result.

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Again I think if we all end on 3 points it goes on the goal difference between the three of us. So a 4-0 win for Croatia today would mean any victory for Scotland next Tuesday would get us third in the group.

There is more likelihood of a Scotland win than Croatia winning upwards of 4-0 V the Czechs.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is more likelihood of a Scotland win than Croatia winning upwards of 4-0 V the Czechs.

I would say so too.

Having seen both I think a Czech victory is most likely. Our game with Croatia to be a straight shootout for 3rd in the group. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I would say so too.

Having seen both I think a Czech victory is most likely. Our game with Croatia to be a straight shootout for 3rd in the group. 

That is the better of the scenario (should we lose tonight). One to watch are Croatia's bookings. They go into their match today with bookings hanging over defender Calete-Car and midfielders Kovacic and Brozovic.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think this was bollocks fae me. Denmark pumping Russia would put the Russians bottom on the three way head to head. You'd be looking for Belgium to scutch the Finns to hurt their overall GD.

Thanks! Thought I was going daft! 👍

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

We need to beat Croatia, obviously, and if Czech Rep beat England by 3 goals we could get 2nd place. Might be getting a wee bit over excited now.

I think so. Czechs don't have three goals in them. It is not inconceivable they play for a draw as it would give England perhaps an easier game in the knock-out phase. And the Czechs would take it as it ensures they qualify.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We need to beat Croatia, obviously, and if Czech Rep beat England by 3 goals we could get 2nd place. Might be getting a wee bit over excited now.

If the Czechs beat England 1-0 and we beat Croatia 2-0, Czechs win the group, we’ll be second and England third.

In that scenario We’d both be on 4 points, the head to head was a draw so we’d finish second having scored 2 goals to their 1.

🤞🏻

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why would the Czechs need to beat England by 3 goals? Or am I missing something here?

they beat England they’ll have 7 points to England’s 4.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To give Scotland a chance of sneaking into second and pushing England into third (if we were to win).

My scenario above would also see us finishing second.

1-0 to the Czechs and 2-0 to us 👍