Daft things pundits say - Euro 2020 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daft things pundits say - Euro 2020

ParisInAKilt

The commentators are spoiled for choice. If they are not talking about England, they can always switch to talk about EPL players. One day will come when Scotland outlast England in a tournament, we can be sure it will be Chelsea this, Villa that, Liverpool, Champions League winners, etc etc...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, exile said:

The commentators are spoiled for choice. If they are not talking about England, they can always switch to talk about EPL players. One day will come when Scotland outlast England in a tournament, we can be sure it will be Chelsea this, Villa that, Liverpool, Champions League winners, etc etc...

And they've got the best refs in the world as well as the only VAR judges worth mentioning. :lol:

Not punditry, and not daft, but I see the BBC website enjoying a Swiss 'wonder goal' and hailing the Swiss' 'superb victory', leaving the Swiss with a 'superb' chance of qualifying. Thanks, guys.

Edited by exile

"I want to talk about England..." says Gary Linkear, at half time, of Belgium-Finland / Denmark-Russia.

They mentioned Billy Gilmour briefly but switch to discussing England.

No self-awareness at all that they are broadcasting into Scotland and Wales - both still in the tournament, and Scotland's prospects in particular hanging on the results of these 2 matches.

Not even a hint that England's own fate could be affected by tonight's results...

The Guardian lot have said that England’s issue is that they have too many good players, so Gareth can’t pick a settled side, unlike France, Germany, Italy etc

Wembley was too hot against Croatia as well.

They really with stretch to absolutely any excuse that they can. 

Quite enjoying the Partridge nature of some of the beeb and itv stuff.

favourite read today was some anglosplaining that after the Scotland team had given so much effort to gain a point from England it’s a worry that they will manage another match. I hadn’t considered that.

1 hour ago, exile said:

"I want to talk about England..." says Gary Linkear, at half time, of Belgium-Finland / Denmark-Russia.

They mentioned Billy Gilmour briefly but switch to discussing England.

No self-awareness at all that they are broadcasting into Scotland and Wales - both still in the tournament, and Scotland's prospects in particular hanging on the results of these 2 matches.

Not even a hint that England's own fate could be affected by tonight's results...

And just now Gary Lineker says breaking news and tonight's results mean England guaranteed to qualify as at very least best third placed team. Not a mention of what it means to Scotland. What a thud.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And just now Gary Lineker says breaking news and tonight's results mean England guaranteed to qualify as at very least best third placed team. Not a mention of what it means to Scotland. What a thud.

Same on the bbc website so far.

I know we still need to win but guaranteed they mention it if England were in our place. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

At least some one had noticed they hadn't actually qualified yet, heard some pundits today saying they should experiment or give some  players a run out to get them up to match fitness.

1 hour ago, Shaundy said:

Quite enjoying the Partridge nature of some of the beeb and itv stuff.

favourite read today was some anglosplaining that after the Scotland team had given so much effort to gain a point from England it’s a worry that they will manage another match. I hadn’t considered that.

anglosplaining.

👍👍👍🤔😆 brilliant

I've been watching on iplayer so wasn't sure if the commentary teams and studio banter was uk wide or i had an english feed.

If this is a uk wide feed it is an absolute disgrace and no wonder so many in Scotland now don't pay the licence fee.

Gilmour has covid. up pops two england players on the big screen

I want to talk about england, Gary Linekar on the  Belgium v Finland build up.

This referee will be known to english football fans as Jonathon Pearce rhyme's off every single game he's been in charge involving epl clubs.

I think Pearce has to be the worst commentator, he just constantly spouts shite and passes them off as stats

There are three types of player in the Euros from a BBC perspective;

1 He plays in the Premiership

2 He used to play in the Premiership

3 He's the sort of player who could do well in the Premiership

I never thought I'd say this, but credit to ITV who, even on UK-wide coverage, sometimes have Souness on the panel and the likes of Hartson and McCoist as 'expert' on commentary.

McFadden is called in on the EBC coverage when they need someone to talk about the Jocks, like any other 'foreign' expert.

Rio Ferdinand last night said English full backs couldn't create chances as the Scottish full backs "didn't go forward" - aye alright then. Andy Robertson really famous for never getting into the opposition half and he must have missed O'Donnell's shot and numerous crosses. Not to mention one, and sometimes two, of our centre backs were striding out with the ball regularly.

Surely they should be praising the teams fluidity rather than making it sound like we sat in with 5 at the back for 90mins. 

37 minutes ago, RightPeg said:

Rio Ferdinand last night said English full backs couldn't create chances as the Scottish full backs "didn't go forward" - aye alright then. Andy Robertson really famous for never getting into the opposition half and he must have missed O'Donnell's shot and numerous crosses. Not to mention one, and sometimes two, of our centre backs were striding out with the ball regularly.

Surely they should be praising the teams fluidity rather than making it sound like we sat in with 5 at the back for 90mins. 

Its funny, immediately after the game its like they were shell shocked and had no alternative but to say the truth and that Scotland were the better team and bossed England. 
Once they compose themselves they revert to type, feeling the need to pick holes in Scotland’s set up rather than state the bleedin obvious and that England just aren’t anywhere near the level  their rose tinted glasses suggest. 

54 minutes ago, RightPeg said:

Rio ferdinand is a fucking idiot. He should be nowhere near a panel of pundits. He's the English Kris boyd.

39 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its funny, immediately after the game its like they were shell shocked and had no alternative but to say the truth and that Scotland were the better team and bossed England. 
Once they compose themselves they revert to type, feeling the need to pick holes in Scotland’s set up rather than state the bleedin obvious and that England just aren’t anywhere near the level  their rose tinted glasses suggest. 

Well I think. from what I saw on YouTube of the English coverage of the game it was more that they were trying to explain it away as Scottish guts and Jack Shit else.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I think. from what I saw on YouTube of the English coverage of the game it was more that they were trying to explain it away as Scottish guts and Jack Shit else.

Tbh I thought they were pretty positive about Scotland, though I did watch the highlights half pished when we got home from the pub . Then watched the ENTIRE game again immediately afterwards.
My husband said ‘ I could watch this all night’ . I said ‘ WE HAVE been watching it all night , its now 2 am ‘ 🙄

4 hours ago, chaff said:

I've been watching on iplayer so wasn't sure if the commentary teams and studio banter was uk wide or i had an english feed.

If this is a uk wide feed it is an absolute disgrace and no wonder so many in Scotland now don't pay the licence fee.

Gilmour has covid. up pops two england players on the big screen

I want to talk about england, Gary Linekar on the  Belgium v Finland build up.

This referee will be known to english football fans as Jonathon Pearce rhyme's off every single game he's been in charge involving epl clubs.

I think Pearce has to be the worst commentator, he just constantly spouts shite and passes them off as stats

It really does feel like watching coverage from another country.  ITV are slightly better, but not by much.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

True; the problem is we're still expected to pay for the "privilege" of watching it.

They should be forced to present the coverage from a British point of view but they’re not. Alternatively, BBC Scotland should be given the required budget to present and commentate on games but they’re not. 

Luckily I haven’t had to suffer much of it as I have been lucky enough to have been to both of our games and I have a ticket for tonight’s game but I have still seen enough to make me sick.