Daft things pundits say - Euro 2020 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daft things pundits say - Euro 2020

ParisInAKilt

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/12/2021 at 7:48 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Each to their own. Rather than a pundit he comes across as a cheerleader figure like an English fan who often gets peoples backs up on here - a bit like the BBC's Rugby Union pundit Brian Moore. Never players faults and no team are ever better than England even when they get beat.

That's highly unfair to Brian Moore. I find him to be a very good and fair commentator. He is also critical of England when that is warranted. He was a prick when he played but for me he's one of the better commentators in rugby.

Gary Lineker - 'So Rio a difficult first game for Scotland, how do you think that will impact Friday's game?'

Rio Ferdinand - 'I think it will allow Gareth to filed an experimental side'

i.e. England can play a 3rd rate team as they have nothing to worry about after that display by Scotland. OK it may be gloating but who can blame them? We've given the pundits some stick but despite the effort of the team - predominantly after we went behind - we did not come across as a team above our level. The ultimate embarrassment.

Can only hope Steve Clarke has learnt that despite his great efforts to get us here, he is in distinct trouble of ending up with the manager of a team that's on the end of 3 humpings. From his interviews, he won't want that and will put out a team that will make a damn good fist of it on Friday🙏 🙏

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

There's no chance Southgate will field an experimental team against us on Friday, not unless he has several injury concerns.  He strikes me as too cautious a manager.

I can certainly see him playing different players such as Grealish, Shaw and maybe Rashford. He can switch it around without weakening the side.

46 minutes ago, scotlad said:

There's no chance Southgate will field an experimental team against us on Friday, not unless he has several injury concerns.  He strikes me as too cautious a manager.

Doh :banghead: Of course he won't - the point is they are basically saying that they could if they wanted because we are so shite on the basis of Monday's game (in certain areas). Our weak points are obvious. We are that naïve and they appear in tourneys almost without fail every 2 years. And we think we can just stroll on the field on Friday and get a result??? They are taking the pish and who can blame them. We'd do the same if roles were reversed.

Who cares what Rio Ferdinand has to say. He's an awful pundit. All he does is swagger in, state the obvious, crack a few jokes, say something "hip" and that's pretty much it.

He thinks he's the English version of Snoop Dog.

He was the pundit that coined "Ole's at the wheel". Sums it up.

The BBC have the worst selection of pundits. ITV have Vieira, G.Neville, Roy Keane, Graeme Souness. BBC have Shearer, Jenas, Rio Ferdinand. 

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Doh :banghead: Of course he won't - the point is they are basically saying that they could if they wanted because we are so shite on the basis of Monday's game (in certain areas). Our weak points are obvious. We are that naïve and they appear in tourneys almost without fail every 2 years. And we think we can just stroll on the field on Friday and get a result??? They are taking the pish and who can blame them. We'd do the same if roles were reversed.

I think you might be reading a bit too much into those comments mate, that's not what I took from them.

Anyway, pundits can haver as much pish as they like, it won't have any direct effect on the game. It might help us if the English team started to believe their hype a bit but I don't think they will. Not at this stage anyway.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Who cares what Rio Ferdinand has to say. He's an awful pundit. All he does is swagger in, state the obvious, crack a few jokes, say something "hip" and that's pretty much it.

He thinks he's the English version of Snoop Dog.

He was the pundit that coined "Ole's at the wheel". Sums it up.

The BBC have the worst selection of pundits. ITV have Vieira, G.Neville, Roy Keane, Graeme Souness. BBC have Shearer, Jenas, Rio Ferdinand. 

Don't forget Scott Brown  :lol:

Ally McCoist telling us last night that Hummels "should be doing better", after he's just smacked it in to the top corner of his own net, is one of the worst/best ones I've heard so far. 

Finland Russia game. Co commentator Martin Keown after Russian guy lands on his shoulder/neck after watching it 2 or 3 times "oh he should be fine"

Guy will be lucky not to be spending the night in hospital. Absolutely horrible landing. 

Edited by Och Aye

Here's one from Chris Coleman on ESPN...

Presenter: "it's hard to look beyond Gareth Bale when it comes to wales.... Chris?"

CC: "...He's won 4 Champions Leagues, he's done what he's done. He's been at Madrid. He's a super player, a great talent.... He could play for England really!"

WTF?

Damien Duff on RTE....

"Acerbi, i played against him twice with the Celtic staff. He's not great".

Pretty sure being a coach doesn't count as "playing against him".

9 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Finland Russia game. Co commentator Martin Keown after Russian guy lands on his shoulder/neck after watching it 2 or 3 times "oh he should be fine"

Guy will be lucky not to be spending the night in hospital. Absolutely horrible landing. 

Wee update. Taken to hospital in a neckbrace, has a back injury but thankfully no damage to the spine. 

There’s another guy on Sky sports news at 10 am, Rob something? Looks like Tom Lovejoys dad and nearly as smug. He had Paul Lambert on the other day, when Lambert said Scotland had a chance, he said ‘Paul, I admire your optimism’ in a way which said don’t be ridiculous, you’ve got no chance. Had Talksport and 5 live on this week as well, it’s not all of them but some of them seem like their gloating before a ball has even been kicked. It’s like Iceland never happened, they just can’t help themselves.

They may well beat us comfortably but you can never say we haven’t got a chance. If it’s not us, hopefully someone puts them in their place soon enough.

28 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

There’s another guy on Sky sports news at 10 am, Rob something? Looks like Tom Lovejoys dad and nearly as smug. He had Paul Lambert on the other day, when Lambert said Scotland had a chance, he said ‘Paul, I admire your optimism’ in a way which said don’t be ridiculous, you’ve got no chance. Had Talksport and 5 live on this week as well, it’s not all of them but some of them seem like their gloating before a ball has even been kicked. It’s like Iceland never happened, they just can’t help themselves.

They may well beat us comfortably but you can never say we haven’t got a chance. If it’s not us, hopefully someone puts them in their place soon enough.

Any relation to Tim? ;)

There's a name from the past. I miss him and Helen Chamberlain.

Rob Wotton? Now there's a face that you wouldn't tire of flicking.