Mr Brown's Boys - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mr Brown's Boys

Toepoke

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

nice wee program, brings back fond memories. Whats interesting is craig brown was a primary school head teacher when he managed clyde and he probably never envisaged himself following in the footsteps of stein and fergie in managing scotland. He did a pretty good job and we only lost something like 7 or 8 goals in both of our qualifying campaigns combined for the 96 and 98 tournaments. He knew how to set us up defensively and played to our strengths which was probably our centre backs and defensive midfielders. 

Also thought it was funny them discussing john collins being a fitness fanatic like he was some kind of oddball. I know the 90s was a bit different regarding fitness methods and it wasnt as advanced as now but the whole squad should of been fitness fanatics. collins did have an amazing six pack in the video.

Heres another film thats a good watch for us 90s kids.

It was fewer even than that, we only conceded 6 goals in two qualifying campaigns combined.  We had an excellent defence in those days.

Really enjoyed the programme, I thought they got the tone spot on. It brought back some good memories for me - I only wish one of them had been the party in Paris where Sean Connery was gieing it laldy, it looked an absolute blast! 😄

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

It was fewer even than that, we only conceded 6 goals in two qualifying campaigns combined.  We had an excellent defence in those days.

Really enjoyed the programme, I thought they got the tone spot on. It brought back some good memories for me - I only wish one of them had been the party in Paris where Sean Connery was gieing it laldy, it looked an absolute blast! 😄

6 goals is mental. we must of had the best defence in europe. craig brown really loved the job as well, great times and i thought we would always go to tournaments. little did i know we were destined for complete misery for two decades. 

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

6 goals is mental. we must of had the best defence in europe. craig brown really loved the job as well, great times and i thought we would always go to tournaments. little did i know we were destined for complete misery for two decades. 

6 goals in two qualifying campaigns, then we concede from a near post header from a corner in the first few minutes. Against Brazil.

Typical Scotland. We hardly concede any goals never mind soft ones, Brazil don’t tend to score that sort of goal. 

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I'm not sure about the World Cup but in the Euro '96 qualifiers only France conceded fewer goals than us - they conceded 2.  Incidentally, if we'd managed to get through to the quarter-final I think we'd have played them.

I took qualifying for tournaments almost as granted in those days too. I remember going off on one about what a bunch of losers we were after Morocco beat us, and how we shouldn't bother entering because it always ends badly - boy, how I lived to regret saying those words!