Mr Brown's Boys - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mr Brown's Boys

Toepoke

40 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Anybody else watch this last night? Great memories :)

Never knew the story of the Bannockburn flag being "borrowed" :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57247817

Remember it happening at the time but didn’t know it was Emerson.  Brilliant show and have to say a wee bit emotional.   Was amazed at the number of faces I recognised.  Anyone who has ever had any dealings with him would say the same thing, Brown is an absolute gent. 

nice wee program, brings back fond memories. Whats interesting is craig brown was a primary school head teacher when he managed clyde and he probably never envisaged himself following in the footsteps of stein and fergie in managing scotland. He did a pretty good job and we only lost something like 7 or 8 goals in both of our qualifying campaigns combined for the 96 and 98 tournaments. He knew how to set us up defensively and played to our strengths which was probably our centre backs and defensive midfielders. 

Also thought it was funny them discussing john collins being a fitness fanatic like he was some kind of oddball. I know the 90s was a bit different regarding fitness methods and it wasnt as advanced as now but the whole squad should of been fitness fanatics. collins did have an amazing six pack in the video.

Heres another film thats a good watch for us 90s kids.

Don’t know if it would have made much difference but Burley deserved to be picked as a central attacking midfielder for that tournament. Was immense for Celtic that year and won a player of the year award. Browns strengths though,as others have alluded to weren’t in the final 3rd

10 minutes ago, JECK said:

Don’t know if it would have made much difference but Burley deserved to be picked as a central attacking midfielder for that tournament. Was immense for Celtic that year and won a player of the year award. Browns strengths though,as others have alluded to weren’t in the final 3rd

Don't really disagree, although the one game that we did play burley in that position we got humped 3-0!

I love Craig Brown. Lovely guy from different generation. Scotland legend!

At that time he was slaughtered by media and many fans for defensive tactics. However Scotland were a right hard team to beat back then!  Truth is we played to our strengths and abilities. Only after twenty years of not qualifying do pa Broon (and Roxburgh) get recognition they deserve.  

Interesting that Clarke switching back to the 5-3-2 has brought similar success to national side.

2 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

I love Craig Brown. Lovely guy from different generation. Scotland legend!

At that time he was slaughtered by media and many fans for defensive tactics. However Scotland were a right hard team to beat back then!  Truth is we played to our strengths and abilities. Only after twenty years of not qualifying do pa Broon (and Roxburgh) get recognition they deserve.  

Interesting that Clarke switching back to the 5-3-2 has brought similar success to national side.

I wish someone had told Morocco that. 😂

1 minute ago, Haggis_trap said:

True : I try to forget that game.... Given how tight our defence was in qualifying that performance was a shocker

Losing Calderwood to injury in the previous game didn’t help defence wise but the whole team were poor that day.

In the end up it didn’t matter since Norway beat Brazil. Would probably have been harder to take going out if we had beaten Morocco so they provably did us a favour by pumping us. 

On 6/9/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jaws1977 said:

I worked on this programme so good to hear people liked it

Well done m8 👏

It brought back great memories of Paris & Bordeaux for me 👍 and was also lite years better than that utter drivel STV presented the other night.