McTominay.       McGinn

Gilmour.         Fraser

Dykes

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1

Scotland are 2/1 to beat the Czechs, that’s a very decent price in my opinion. The Czechs are a slightly better Slovakia. They have no width, we can compress them and harass the 2 sitting in front of their back 4, they are in trouble.

If we want to progress we must take something from the game. A lot depends on us. If the occasion gets to is and we becoming shrinking violets then we will struggle. If we rise to the occasion and play without fear I fancy us getting a win.

Its too soon to throw Patterson in. He was exposed against Luxembourg too many times for my liking. And the Czech threat will come from their height and O'Donnell has far more a presence than Patterson. Lets remember too that O'Donnell has offered assists in a few of our goals in recent times. Plus we need experienced heads in such a massive game.

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If we want to progress we must take something from the game. A lot depends on us. If the occasion gets to is and we becoming shrinking violets then we will struggle. If we rise to the occasion and play without fear I fancy us getting a win.

Its too soon to throw Patterson in. He was exposed against Luxembourg too many times for my liking. And the Czech threat will come from their height and O'Donnell has far more a presence than Patterson. Lets remember too that O'Donnell has offered assists in a few of our goals in recent times. Plus we need experienced heads in such a massive game.

Honestly mate, I was for starting O’Donnell before I watched the Czechs play tonight. Patterson will rip their left-back to pieces. And Robbo and Tierney will give their right-back nightmares. Let Hendry and McTominay look after the space behind Patterson. And Let McGinn cover for Tierney/Robbo. 
Their only threat is through the middle. Once the ball goes to one of the two sitting midfielders, push up and press them. That’s why I have Fraser and Gilmour behind Dykes. We will get lots of joy from it.

Edited by Scot1

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Honestly mate, I was for starting O’Donnell before I watched the Czechs play tonight. Patterson will rip their left-back to pieces. And Robbo and Tierney will give their right-back nightmares. Let Hendry and McTominay look after the space behind Patterson. And Let McGinn cover for Tierney/Robbo. 

Too soon for him in such a massive match for my liking. Patterson's job is both attacking and defending not solely attacking where others have to bail him out. And like I said the Czechs threat is height in attack at set pieces. O'Donnell's greater height and physicality than Patterson is another plus. I am not saying I would be distraught if Patterson starts but I would be very nervous.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Too soon for him in such a massive match for my liking. Patterson's job is both attacking and defending not solely attacking where others have to bail him out. And like I said the Czechs threat is height in attack at set pieces. O'Donnell's greater height and physicality than Patterson is another plus. I am not saying I would be distraught if Patterson starts but I would be very nervous.

if we play this the right way the Czechs will struggle to get out their own half. 
horses for courses, I’d play Patterson and tell Hendry and McTominay to cover the space behind him, which they are well capable of doing. We can press them in the centre and tear them to pieces out wide.

Guest Scot1
Just now, bossman4 said:

While Gallagher done great for us last year he is now behind Cooper and Hanley for that middle position. Can’t see him starting. 

We need his height and physicality against the Czechs. 

Guest Scot1

You could play Armstrong instead of Gilmour, someone mobile who can hassle/press and win the ball back. Not sure who’s best suited to the job, Gilmour or Armstrong? 

Edited by Scot1

21 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

You could play Armstrong instead of Gilmour, someone mobile who can hassle/press and win the ball back. Not sure who’s best suited to the job, Gilmour or Armstrong? 

I didn't see the Czech game tonight, but based on what you are saying, their weaknesses play to our strengths. Which is very encouraging.

However, our biggest weakness, in recent times, has been through the middle of the pitch. Which is their strength. I hope Luxembourg was a one off for McTominay, because we will badly need him to be disciplined in a more defensive central midfield role to mark up and make challenges. Which he is more than capable of.

I'd happily play Gilmour as well, but I know Armstrong has the tenacity and game intelligence to play deep as well. He is also arguably our most in-form midfielder. 

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I didn't see the Czech game tonight, but based on what you are saying, their weaknesses play to our strengths. Which is very encouraging.

However, our biggest weakness, in recent times, has been through the middle of the pitch. Which is their strength. I hope Luxembourg was a one off for McTominay, because we will badly need him to be disciplined in a more defensive central midfield role to mark up and make challenges. Which he is more than capable of.

I'd happily play Gilmour as well, but I know Armstrong has the tenacity and game intelligence to play deep as well. He is also arguably our most in-form midfielder. 

I wouldn’t play Armstrong deep against the Czechs. I’ve put McTominay and McGinn sitting in front of our back 3, they have the physicality to match up against the Czechs. I’d play Armstrong/Gilmour and Fraser behind Dykes to press their midfield 2 who sit in front of the back 4. Let their back 4 have the ball, there’s nothing coming from it, as soon as it goes to the midfield 2, press the hell out of them. 
We need a disciplined, holding/defensive performance from McTominay and McGinn to eliminate the Czech’s out ball alongside our back 3. 

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I wouldn’t play Armstrong deep against the Czechs. I’ve put McTominay and McGinn sitting in front of our back 3, they have the physicality to match up against the Czechs. I’d play Armstrong/Gilmour and Fraser behind Dykes to press their midfield 2 who sit in front of the back 4. Let their back 4 have the ball, there’s nothing coming from it, as soon as it goes to the midfield 2, press the hell out of them. 
We need a disciplined, holding/defensive performance from McTominay and McGinn to eliminate the Czech’s out ball alongside our back 3. 

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to McGinn playing deeper instead of Armstrong. The only issue is it hinders his goal threat. But if he is needed elsewhere, so be it.

By the sounds of it, if we create a strong spine down the middle that can hold firm, we can let our wide men have free reign to tear them apart.

Guest Scot1
4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to McGinn playing deeper instead of Armstrong. The only issue is it hinders his goal threat. But if he is needed elsewhere, so be it.

By the sounds of it, if we create a strong spine down the middle that can hold firm, we can let our wide men have free reign to tear them apart.

That’s what I saw tonight, and they will make mistakes at the back and their keeper looks like he has a mistake or 2 in him with regard to his passing out from the back. 
Their only “out” ball is through the middle, from what I saw tonight.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

That’s what I saw tonight, and they will make mistakes at the back and their keeper looks like he has a mistake or 2 in him with regard to his passing out from the back. 
Their only “out” ball is through the middle, from what I saw tonight.

If their left back is as weak as you say, maybe playing Fraser as wing back would be a shout, as the defensive duties will be less critical. 

I was worried about his fitness, but we saw against Luxembourg that he is incredibly creative and put in sumptuous crosses. I'd probably play him off Dykes, but if not we could have Christie or an extra striker on.

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If their left back is as weak as you say, maybe playing Fraser as wing back would be a shout, as the defensive duties will be less critical. 

I was worried about his fitness, but we saw against Luxembourg that he is incredibly creative and put in sumptuous crosses. I'd probably play him off Dykes, but if not we could have Christie or an extra striker on.

You could, but I prefer Fraser behind Dykes, alongside Armstrong or Gilmour, using his pace / mobility to harass their sitting midfielders. I think Patterson given the license to attack their left back will do the job more than adequately. 
Fraser is a good finisher, he’ll get a better chance to score playing as one of the 2 attacking midfielders behind Dykes, more centrally 

Edited by Scot1

17 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

You could, but I prefer Fraser behind Dykes, alongside Armstrong or Gilmour, using his pace / mobility to harass their sitting midfielders. I think Patterson given the license to attack their left back will do the job more than adequately. 
Fraser is a good finisher, he’ll get a better chance to score playing as one of the 2 attacking midfielders behind Dykes, more centrally 

Agreed. He is my choice playing off Dykes, too. Just spitballing.

If we are going to risk Patterson against any team, it's againt the Czechs, but I think I'd still feel more comfortable with O'Donnell.

Guest Scot1
14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Agreed. He is my choice playing off Dykes, too. Just spitballing.

If we are going to risk Patterson against any team, it's againt the Czechs, but I think I'd still feel more comfortable with O'Donnell.

Honestly, with McTominay and Hendry behind Patterson, he’ll do a job on their left-back. Against teams with better full-backs O’Donnell should start. But against the Czech’s, and they way they are set up 4-2-3-1, I’d go for Patterson on this occasion. 
Push up our backline, compress the space, use our back 3 and 2 sitting midfielders (McGinn and McTominay) to handle their 3 attacking midfielders and 1 Centre Forward. 
Leave Robbo and Patterson free, wide. 
Let Dykes harass their 2 centre halves, have our 2 attacking midfielders sitting on their 2 deep midfielders. They will nearly always try to play through those 2 midfielders sitting in front of their back 4. As soon as the ball is played to them, spring the press. Dykes will drop back to try to isolate the Czech player in possession and pick up any loose ball from challenges. Dykes will have to put in a power of work, but he’s capable of it. 

Edited by Scot1

tough decisions to make but i would go for

marshall

hendry cooper tierney

fraser                                             robbo

mctominay mcgregor

mcginn

christie adams

Tough decision to leave out armstrong and dykes. i think we have to be attacking in this game and go for a win, the three centre backs i have chosen are comfortable on the ball and that will help the midfield and help with keeping possesion. bit of a risk going with fraser at rwb but i reckon his pace and ability will help us be a more attacking threat. would of been happy with a front two of dykes and adams but its a tough call and i like christie. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about McTominay’s performance on Sunday. He’s a big game player and they don’t come much bigger our next match. 

Gordon 

Hendry Cooper Tierney

Patterson                        robertson

Mctominay    gilmour

Mcginn

Dykes      Adams

I've no idea why dykes would be left out of anyone's team

Great thread and some good selections. I was reading earlier that Gilmour may be looking for a loan deal. Probably best for him just now to keep improving. Patterson looks the real deal as well but it is hard for him to get game time for his club as well. Can anyone tell me is the game on sky next week?

29 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Great thread and some good selections. I was reading earlier that Gilmour may be looking for a loan deal. Probably best for him just now to keep improving. Patterson looks the real deal as well but it is hard for him to get game time for his club as well. Can anyone tell me is the game on sky next week?

Can you do everyone a favour and keep your trolling to the non TA section

Edited by vanderark14

9 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Their only threat is through the middle. Once the ball goes to one of the two sitting midfielders, push up and press them. That’s why I have Fraser and Gilmour behind Dykes. We will get lots of joy from it.

Patterson has faced Boril twice recently, against Slavia Prague. Those games were the first time I’d really seen Patterson and I thought he was just ‘raw’ at the start of the first game, but he grew into it and dominated Boril in the end. This was the game that saw Gerrard say Patterson became a man that night. Boril is the Slavia captain; a tough competitor but there’s a reason he’s with Slavia at 31 years old, and not in a better league. Second game - Patterson was superb. Their first goal came from a Boril cross but Patterson was covering inside and I think it was Arfield that was trying to close him down. I’m sure Clarke will take this into consideration, as well as what he’s seeing in training. Boril will be having nightmares about Patterson but not so much about O’Donnell. A combination of Fraser and Patterson should provide plenty of opportunities from their left flank. Interesting...

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Patterson has faced Boril twice recently, against Slavia Prague. Those games were the first time I’d really seen Patterson and I thought he was just ‘raw’ at the start of the first game, but he grew into it and dominated Boril in the end. This was the game that saw Gerrard say Patterson became a man that night. Boril is the Slavia captain; a tough competitor but there’s a reason he’s with Slavia at 31 years old, and not in a better league. Second game - Patterson was superb. Their first goal came from a Boril cross but Patterson was covering inside and I think it was Arfield that was trying to close him down. I’m sure Clarke will take this into consideration, as well as what he’s seeing in training. Boril will be having nightmares about Patterson but not so much about O’Donnell. A combination of Fraser and Patterson should provide plenty of opportunities from their left flank. Interesting...

I never knew this, it reinforces the reasoning to pick Patterson.