Just two concerns...... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just two concerns......

Third Lanark

1. Are we practised at free kicks and set pieces in general - in both boxes? With Turnbull unlikely to start, who takes the free kicks? For that matter, who takes the penalties?

2. McTominay yesterday was a shadow of the MoM in the Europa final. He misplaced passes, got shoved off the ball, and seemed out of position on the left side. I expected more after his fighting talk in the pre-match interview. But he seemed wound up, as when he had to be restrained after Gilmour was attacked. Maybe he just needs to calm down, he's not the captain. Now, I know our midfield of choice is him, Gilmour and McGinn but....I just wonder if Armstrong would offer more. Just a thought, maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

1. Are we practised at free kicks and set pieces in general - in both boxes? With Turnbull unlikely to start, who takes the free kicks? For that matter, who takes the penalties?

2. McTominay yesterday was a shadow of the MoM in the Europa final. He misplaced passes, got shoved off the ball, and seemed out of position on the left side. I expected more after his fighting talk in the pre-match interview. But he seemed wound up, as when he had to be restrained after Gilmour was attacked. Maybe he just needs to calm down, he's not the captain. Now, I know our midfield of choice is him, Gilmour and McGinn but....I just wonder if Armstrong would offer more. Just a thought, maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

1. I found it really bizarre that Turnbull wasn't on set piece duty even when he started against the Dutch. I'm happy for Robbo to take corners, but I'd rather not see McTominay on freekicks.

2. McTominay very often was far further forward than McGinn yesterday. I think he was dying to get a goal. He needs to be far more disciplined at the Euros. We need his defensive attributes more than his attacking attributes. I think that is partially why McGinn was relatively quiet yesterday, because McTominay basically commandeered his role. But McTominay, at his best, is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Think a lot of heading practice in training might accompany number 1 TL. There were some very decent crosses yesterday ( and against Holland as well)  Just most of the headers were very poor ( except Dykes one which hit the post) Dykes, Adams, McTominey and whichever defenders won loads of headers in the matches but couldn't direct them goalwards. 

Could be the sort of chance we might get once or twice in the three matches so any improvements would be great.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

1. I found it really bizarre that Turnbull wasn't on set piece duty even when he started against the Dutch. I'm happy for Robbo to take corners, but I'd rather not see McTominay on freekicks.

2. McTominay very often was far further forward than McGinn yesterday. I think he was dying to get a goal. He needs to be far more disciplined at the Euros. We need his defensive attributes more than his attacking attributes. I think that is partially why McGinn was relatively quiet yesterday, because McTominay basically commandeered his role. But McTominay, at his best, is one of the first names on the team sheet.

2. Yes, I think he is trying too hard to be a leader; he just needs to play like he does for his club.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Think McTominay was uncomfortable in that position yesterday and constantly had to turn back onto his right side. Armstrong was much better there against the Dutch. Wonder what the feedback will be with Clarke after the game.

Probable better to swap McGinn and McTominay around for the Czech match, assuming they both play.

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think a lot of heading practice in training might accompany number 1 TL. There were some very decent crosses yesterday ( and against Holland as well)  Just most of the headers were very poor ( except Dykes one which hit the post) Dykes, Adams, McTominey and whichever defenders won loads of headers in the matches but couldn't direct them goalwards. 

Could be the sort of chance we might get once or twice in the three matches so any improvements would be great.

Think Clarke said as much after the game, that they need to work on finishing off crosses. Certainly one positive was the number of good crosses from both sides and from a number of different players. That is one reason why I'm plumping for Dykes and Adams to pay together, especially given that the Czechs have worries in their central defence.

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think McTominay was uncomfortable in that position yesterday and constantly had to turn back onto his right side. Armstrong was much better there against the Dutch. Wonder what the feedback will be with Clarke after the game.

Probable better to swap McGinn and McTominay around for the Czech match, assuming they both play.

Begs the question: why on earth were they asked to play like that?

1 minute ago, Burj_Alba said:

Totally agree. McGinn can drop back when we need him to, but we all know how good he is when he joins in attacks. He couldn't really get involved yesterday because he was forced to sit deeper. 

Clarke has surprised me over and over again. Every time I think I have him sussed and am certain I know what he will do, he changes it up and most of the time gets it right. Whatever he chooses to do against the Czechs, I'm sure it'll be very carefully considered.

1. I was thinking just that very thing. Set pieces are as important In today's football as anything. We saw England at the previous World Cup. They were without doubt the masters at set pieces. 9 of their 12 goals were from set pieces.

2. McTominay is the player that I've watched the most over the past few years. There's no doubt, when he's on his game, he's a player! But he can sometimes get sloppy and lethargic in possession. Next season is a big season for him, 

I too was thinking about who is going to be on direct free kicks worth having a pop at with no Griffiths now. Turnbull looks our best bet. IIRC Robertson and Mctom have both missed the target in recent ones.It would be very disappointing if we get good opportunities from free kicks and continually miss.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

I too was thinking about who is going to be on direct free kicks worth having a pop at with no Griffiths now. Turnbull looks our best bet. IIRC Robertson and Mctom have both missed the target in recent ones.It would be very disappointing if we get good opportunities from free kicks and continually miss.

In my initial squad (months ago) I had Griffiths. For 2 reasons: 

1. Because of his set piece ability. However, Turnbull makes up for that. 2. His ability to snatch a goal from one chance. It looks like Nisbet might make up for that. (TBC)

So, I was content when I saw him excluded from the final 26. But I was quite disappointed when Turnbull wasn't entrusted with the set pieces against the Dutch. Possibly because Clarke knows he won't start and would prefer the regulars to get more practise. But it is a definite weak spot in the team.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

Turnbull is only our best bet if he’s on the pitch which is probably unlikely. 

I can remember McTominay taking a couple of free kicks (including the one yesterday) and none have been that good. I would probably prefer Robertson to take them but we need a left footer and right footer. 

Armstrong can hit a good free kick but again, will he be on the field? 

1 is actually a terrific point.

No doubt that Steve Clarke is a top coach, but set pieces training can bridge a gap. England scored from about 9 set pieces in 2018. That wasn't a fluke.

Southgate studied NFL plays and he spoke with a lot of NFL coaches prior to the Word Cup, as each down in NFL is practically a set piece.

All credit to Gareth Southgate for being studious. Crazy to think that England reached the World Cup semi finals with only scoring 3 goals from open play.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

1. Would appear not, definitely need more practice and a bit more variety in corners. Fine margins can dictate many a result in a stalemate game. Grealish's obvious dive yesterday - no matter how good a player he is - was the difference in their result. After our qualifiers going through on pens you would hope penalty taking has been prepared.

2. McGinn/McTominay roles do need defining but both have got so much to offer. I though it was good McTominay defending what was a shocking tackle to protect our treasured asset of Gilmour. Tierney also left his mark on Rodriguez a couple of times. They were provoking us in a nasty way and that is how some teams get results unfortunately so we have to be wise to it.