Luxembourg game thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luxembourg game thread

gkm_vancouver

As many have said, both Patterson and Gilmour did excellent. Surely they'll be fixtures in the Scotland team for years to come and hopefully immediately!

The assault on Gilmour should have been a straight red and hope it can be dealt with retrospectively as such. Pure deliberate assault.

Oh and anyone know the spaced out attendance tonight ?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

not sure why but dykes is coming in for some criticism recently. guy was pretty good tonight, not sure what ppls expectations are from an english championship striker. personally i think hes done great and totally exceeded expectations i had of him.

Agree entirely. I like his attitude and he's really growing on me.

Just now, thelonehutch said:

Agree entirely. I like his attitude and he's really growing on me.

Dykes is one of the main reasons we qualified. Him and Adams together has potential to be a decent partnership. And let's be honest - hardly many other candidates.

Guest ElChris04

A lot of positives to take away from these friendlies all in all.

Played great against the Dutch and really robbed of a win down to poor refereeing. Today may not have had the same positive effect play wise giving the volume of chances we missed but at least we are creating them and hopefully come the euros dykes and others can learn from it. McTominay McGinn and Dykes had their off nights but I’m just glad we walked away with the win and the clean sheet in the end.

Then our newly capped prospects in Turnbull Gilmour and Patterson getting their first games for Scotland, something I can only applaud Clarke for doing so giving them that experience early.

And sticking with gilmour, what a talent. When he came on he was a different class. The only negative I can say is how he was robbed of showcasing that ability for the rest of the second half if it wasn’t for that horrendous challenge on him that should have been a red all day long. The standard of referring in general over the 2 friendlies In general was abysmal but anyway, Roll on the euros now. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by ElChris04

Gilmour, Patterson & Turnbull have given the manager something to think about. Friendlies are normally a depressing disaster for us so what a great few days it's been 😀

Edited by slasher

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Gilmour, Patterson & Turnbull have given the manager something to think about. Friendlies are normally a depressing disaster for us so what a great few days it's been 😀

Spot on

53 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Patterson and Gilmour must start v Czechs 

Night and day difference between mcgregor and odonnell 

I wasn’t that impressed with Patterson tonight to be honest. Got into some good positions but was pretty wasteful. Not that he did badly or anything but I’m not sure if he is a “must start” against the Czechs and to be honest I don’t think he will. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Forrest is never in the frame for right wing back 

Forrest was piss poor last night. As I said yesterday, 3 tines he failed to read the through ball in a shirt space of time, he might be lacking in match fitness or losing his pace but he was pish either way. 

I wouldn't even have forrest on the bench on Monday 

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Played there for an hour v Netherlands.

So of course he isn't.

Because the other two RBs were isolating. He will be nowhere near the RWB role. If he is we are weakened for it

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Forrest was piss poor last night. As I said yesterday, 3 tines he failed to read the through ball in a shirt space of time, he might be lacking in match fitness or losing his pace but he was pish either way. 

I wouldn't even have forrest on the bench on Monday 

agreed...  never been a fan tbh.  Had a couple of good games for us, now looking like he might drop from the squad in future.

9 hours ago, runningtings said:

My thoughts after today:

Dykes isn't that great but he is the best target man we have.

Gilmour is a more positive option than McGregor.

Dykes only gave their defence a torrid time, hit the post, had the ball in the net (offside) and set up his strike partner for the goal.

Just now, Malcolm said:

agreed...  never been a fan tbh.  Had a couple of good games for us, now looking like he might drop from the squad in future.

He had a hand in getting us here but since then his form has nose dived and this Scotland squad has better options.

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He had a hand in getting us here but since then his form has nose dived and this Scotland squad has better options.

The team is getting stronger by the week. The phasing out of players has already begun e.g Callum Paterson, Leigh Griffiths, Liam Palmer. With the emergence of some really exciting young talent, I can see a few more bodies being added to the pile. Forrest and McGregor are prime candidates for the next cull. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t that impressed with Patterson tonight to be honest. Got into some good positions but was pretty wasteful. Not that he did badly or anything but I’m not sure if he is a “must start” against the Czechs and to be honest I don’t think he will. 

When odonnell was on he contributed zero 

Patterson was a constant threat 

He's a miles better footballer 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

The team is getting stronger by the week. The phasing out of players has already begun e.g Callum Paterson, Leigh Griffiths, Liam Palmer. With the emergence of some really exciting young talent, I can see a few more bodies being added to the pile. Forrest and McGregor are prime candidates for the next cull. 

At one point yesterday Patterson fed forrest who was on edge of box

He had to turn and shoot but played the ball backwards 

Entire Scotland career one good game followed by five bad

33 minutes ago, Bino's said:

At one point yesterday Patterson fed forrest who was on edge of box

He had to turn and shoot but played the ball backwards 

Entire Scotland career one good game followed by five bad

You're being generous re. Forrest - I struggle to think of any contributions other than the Albania and Israel games in 2018. He plays like a 15-year-old schoolboy with low footballing intelligence, searing pace and no idea how to make the most of it.

O'Donnell is useful for pressing, very disciplined in terms of shape but lacks the ability required at international level. Patterson will replace him after the tournament I feel.

59 minutes ago, Bino's said:

When odonnell was on he contributed zero 

Patterson was a constant threat 

He's a miles better footballer 

He also made more mistakes than O’Donnell. I strongly doubt Clarke will risk him next week. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He also made more mistakes than O’Donnell. I strongly doubt Clarke will risk him next week. 

I agree.

O'Donnell is a better defender than Patterson - better positional sense and awareness. Patterson is better in attack. More dynamic and more likely to take a player on and beat them but it leaves us exposed on the counter. We cannot afford that against the better teams we will be facing in the Euros. Patterson will hopefully learn with experience and can only do that by playing more matches like this one yesterday.

49 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

You're being generous re. Forrest - I struggle to think of any contributions other than the Albania and Israel games in 2018. He plays like a 15-year-old schoolboy with low footballing intelligence, searing pace and no idea how to make the most of it.

O'Donnell is useful for pressing, very disciplined in terms of shape but lacks the ability required at international level. Patterson will replace him after the tournament I feel.

I think you are doing O'Donnell a disservice. He contributes a lot more to our attacks than people give him credit for. His height gives us an extra advantage in the air as well.

You're almost certainly right that Patterson will surpass him, but O'Donnell more often than not is international class when he has a Scotland jersey on. He stays my choice for fullback.

7 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

You're probably correct 

Same with both Gilmour and Patterson,  they have way more talent than the incumbents 

So just play them now 

Not after the tournament 

Edited by Bino's

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree.

O'Donnell is a better defender than Patterson - better positional sense and awareness. Patterson is better in attack. More dynamic and more likely to take a player on and beat them but it leaves us exposed on the counter. We cannot afford that against the better teams we will be facing in the Euros. Patterson will hopefully learn with experience and can only do that by playing more matches like this one yesterday.

That guy Rodrigues twice stepped over Patterson and got a dangerous cross in. Good play IMO from  decent player but if that had been O'Donnell then he would have been give pelters on here.