Luxembourg game thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luxembourg game thread

gkm_vancouver

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Not the team I would have chosen for the final friendly but I can see where he is coming from. Hopefully our 4 best players only play 45mins (McGinn, McTominay, Robbo and Tierney)

A bit too much reliance on McGinn and our defenders to create, but otherwise a decent team. 

Hope it doesn't backfire with Tierney and Robertson. 

I hope Clarke does what the Dutch did by taking off two key players after 30 mins. There's no need to play McGregor, either.

Now SofaScore have Gallagher up front and McTominay in a back four.

What the hell is going on?

Screenshot_20210606-155716_SofaScore.jpg

Edited by Taylor1996

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Scot1

I think McGregor is lost in a midfield 2, I think you’d get the best out of him in a midfield 3. Hopefully he’ll only be on for 45 mins and then Gilmour will get 45. Same with Patterson and O’Donnell, Mcginn and Turnbull. 

Guest Scot1
Just now, ProudScot said:

It would have been nice to see Patterson & Gilmour start for O’Donnell & McGregor

I can understand the need to give O’Donnell some game time, since he missed the last match. Hopefully we can grab a goal or two in the first halve and make a number of changes at half-time. Won’t be easy to score against Luxembourg but hopefully we can grab at least 1 before half time

20 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Screenshot_20210606-154356_Samsung Internet.jpg

It'll probably be:

Marshall 

Hanley Gallagher Tierney 

O'Donnell                 Robertson 

McTominay  McGregor 

McGinn 

Dykes    Adams 

That makes sense and possibly other than Gallagher who Clarke thinks is our best 11. 

13 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think McGregor is lost in a midfield 2, I think you’d get the best out of him in a midfield 3. Hopefully he’ll only be on for 45 mins and then Gilmour will get 45. Same with Patterson and O’Donnell, Mcginn and Turnbull. 

Yeah, McGregor can hide better in a 3. (Just kidding)

What do we want from this game? A win to get the bandwagon rolling going into the Euros. To do that we need to put out a strong starting line-up so that is why we have the side that we do.

I get the point about worrying about injuries but injuries can just as easily happen in training so avoiding injuries would mean not training either. In any case I'd say our key players won't play the full match and maybe just the first half or an hour at the most. Sure it will be worrying but that's what we have to deal with now that we are back at a major tournament.

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Maybe Clarke is giving MaGregor his last chance to impress. 

Sadly, I think Clarke's opinion of McGregor is set in cement. It doesn't seem to matter how poorly he plays. He must be dynamite in training.

I reckon Clarke wants to see how Dykes and Adams play together, but it wouldn't be fair to test them out without the creative prowess of Tiertson delivering the ball.

Interesting that Cooper and Christie don't make the bench. Does this mean they are certs to start as he knows what they can do, or he thinks others are higher in pecking order or that he just wants to give Gallagher, Hanley, Turnbull and Gilmour some more minutes to convince him of their place.....

Today's team looks strong with the exception of McGregor. Clarke's obsession with him is disturbing. A midfield of McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong has great energy and tenacity, perfect for a stong press which makes us difficult to beat. McGregor by comparison on current form is a passsenger. There is a player in there all right as proven when scoring goals for Celtic in Europe, but that was eons ago. Hopefully he can recover some of that form, as otherwise he is very lucky to be starting. Players should be picked on current form.

Surely giving McGregor a break would've been better than playing in a game like this. McGregor must be close to 225-250 games in 4 years. Plays 50-65 games a season. An extra game is just going to add to his already tired legs.

I know people are questioning Tierney and Robertson starting but I think it is designed to see how they play with Hanley and Gallagher as a partnership. We seen how impressive Hendry and cooper were with Tierney and Robertson. Clarke will probably be giving Hanley and Gallagher the same chance to impress and stake a claim to start against the Czechs.

I'm a bit disappointed that Gilmour, Patterson and Nisbett aren't starting. It could've been a good chance for all 3 to be given a chance to impress and stake a claim for a start in the EURO's.

Guest Scot1

I think if MacGregor is to play well it’s in an orthodox midfield 3 where he doesn’t have to think too much about the defensive side of the game. The way the team is set up today should be good for him, it looks like a straight 3/5/2 rather than a 3-4-2-1. So let’s see if he produces the goods. 

6 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Interesting that Cooper and Christie don't make the bench. Does this mean they are certs to start as he knows what they can do, or he thinks others are higher in pecking order or that he just wants to give Gallagher, Hanley, Turnbull and Gilmour some more minutes to convince him of their place.....

Well Ryan Christie was probably not going to get game time. He and Fraser play similar roles and Fraser needs game time badly so assume he'll definitely get on at some point to build up his match fitness. Also Clarke may want to see Nisbet get more game time after his good showing the other night so Christie is surplus somewhat. Cooper may be similar. Hanley was always going to come in and I can see Hendry getting some minutes late on due to his good showing the other night. Again that kind of leaves Cooper surplus especially if McKenna is given a run put.

1 minute ago, HighlandScot said:

Today's team looks strong with the exception of McGregor. Clarke's obsession with him is disturbing. A midfield of McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong has great energy and tenacity, perfect for a stong press which makes us difficult to beat. McGregor by comparison on current form is a passsenger. There is a player in there all right as proven when scoring goals for Celtic in Europe, but that was eons ago. Hopefully he can recover some of that form, as otherwise he is very lucky to be starting. Players should be picked on current form.

Not entirely sure I understand what McGregor's done wrong. He's been a mainstay of the midfield that's got us to this position and his work in recycling the ball and keeping things moving is vastly underrated by people on here. Some of the comments, I question if the person has ever played football.

I tend to agree that potentially Gilmour will be an upgrade in that position in the next few months. I actually would like to see them play together against one of the stronger nations. Think they might combine well. I did think one of the two friendlies would've been good to see Gilmour feature from the start, but I think McGregor plays in Clarke's first XI so I understand it makes sense.

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Not entirely sure I understand what McGregor's done wrong. He's been a mainstay of the midfield that's got us to this position and his work in recycling the ball and keeping things moving is vastly underrated by people on here. Some of the comments, I question if the person has ever played football.

I tend to agree that potentially Gilmour will be an upgrade in that position in the next few months. I actually would like to see them play together against one of the stronger nations. Think they might combine well. I did think one of the two friendlies would've been good to see Gilmour feature from the start, but I think McGregor plays in Clarke's first XI so I understand it makes sense.

I disagree, I think MaGregor has been a passenger in most games I’ve seen him play for Scotland, with the exception of the Serbia game. But I do think he’s not suited to playing in a midfield 2, he’s not got the “overall” game to do it.

5 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Well with the resident scapegoat McBurnie out a new one is needed. Not sure how a player can play badly for us in a 2-2 draw against Holland.

Anyone else a bit peeved with this game only getting a 5 minute build up on Sky Sports? I mean what's the point in covering the game if you are only going to pay it lip service and make a half-arsed effort? Sky have numerous sports channels they could show this on with a 30min build-up. Even ITV which isn't a dedicated sport channel were on air at 1640 for the England friendly. It just doesn't make any sense to me - wouldn't want people to miss One to Eleven: Andy Townsend though 🙄

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well with the resident scapegoat McBurnie out a new one is needed. Not sure how a player can play badly for us in a 2-2 draw against Holland.

I don’t think McGregor is a bad player, buts he’s not suited to playing 3/4/2/1, he’s a playmaker with not the best defensive qualities. In a midfield 2 both midfielders need to be decent defensively or you get overrun quite often. Today’s setup should suit him better. If it’s an orthodox 3/5/2 or 3/5/1/1 with Adams behind Dykes.

1 minute ago, morrie21 said:

Anyone else a bit peeved with this game only getting a 5 minute build up on Sky Sports? I mean what's the point in covering the game if you are only going to pay it lip service and make a half-arsed effort? Sky have numerous sports channels they could show this on with a 30min build-up. Even ITV which isn't a dedicated sport channel were on air at 1640 for the England friendly. It just doesn't make any sense to me - wouldn't want people to miss One to Eleven: Andy Townsend though 🙄

I'm not bothered.

Loved seeing the Adidas Ireland top with the three large stripes down the shoulder. That's what I want to see with our new one.

Re: Callum McGregor 

I've warmed to him over the years.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yeah, that's the way I see it.