An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

And the core of their players are kids: Mount (22), Foden (21), Sancho (21), Bellingham (17), Saka (19), James (21).

When you see that it really puts that nonsense debate of "they are too young" that we Scots seem to be obsessed with into perspective. England are ranked 4th in the world and have lots of youngsters in their squad. We shouldn't even be considering age when talking about the first 11 anymore. Our final 26 are all there on merit, so have proven they are old enough already.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

True but it seems to work better in European leagues and European competitions. The EPL has taken VAR and made a complete mess of it. 

I hope you're right because we have missed out in almost every computation known in the knockout group stages but have not gone out for VAR reasons. We have got a great squad with a great manager and a great opportunity to progress - if we play to our potential. The evidence in Europe from the story below is not quite as you say  - as bad as a 3/10 in France - so let's hope the likely resulting issues when you mix the European countries together are in the other groups.🤔

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50392207

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

When you see that it really puts that nonsense debate of "they are too young" that we Scots seem to be obsessed with into perspective. England are ranked 4th in the world and have lots of youngsters in their squad. We shouldn't even be considering age when talking about the first 11 anymore. Our final 26 are all there on merit, so have proven they are old enough already.

Yep. You saw what happened with Alan Hansen. However, remember, that United team had Schmeichel, Irwin, Ince, Pallister, Bruce, Parker, Hughes, Cantona, etc. It's true, age doesn't come into it, but you also  need old heads and experience. 

I think that's the reason Maguire and Henderson are in the 26. Neither of them will see many minutes, they're just there to give the kids advice, etc.

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I hope you're right because we have missed out in almost every computation known in the knockout group stages but have not gone out for VAR reasons. We have got a great squad with a great manager and a great opportunity to progress - if we play to our potential. The evidence in Europe from the story below is not quite as you say  - as bad as a 3/10 in France - so let's hope the likely resulting issues when you mix the European countries together are in the other groups.🤔

Interesting that you point out France being 3/10 when the others mentioned are all 7/10 or 8/10. I’m guessing you’re a glass half empty kind of guy? 😂

To be fair I’m only really basing it on games I’ve been to or have seen on telly. Any Rangers game I’ve been at or watched on telly where VAR has been in use there hasn’t really been any VAR controversies. Same with our playoffs last year. 

I don’t watch French football but I do watch some Spanish and German football and it seems to work OK. The EPL just rip the arse out of it with their lines trying to see if someone’s lips are offside. There shouldn’t be any of that nonsense at the Euros. 

Another ingredient is politics.

I mean, how are the black England players going to react when there's booing everytime they take the knee?

They've done it in their two friendlies.

By booing, the England fans might as well make monkey noises and throw bananas on the pitch. It won't be nice for the black players.

It would've been nice to get roverboy's opinion. Unfortunately, he was bullied off the board.

(Trust me, if roverboy was really me, I'd never leave as easily as he has. Out of sheer spite)

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting that you point out France being 3/10 when the others mentioned are all 7/10 or 8/10. I’m guessing you’re a glass half empty kind of guy? 😂 

Depends which way I shave in the morning - if I face one way I'm thinking Jordan, Lorimer, McFadden. If I face the other way I'm thinking Iran, Costa Rica, Morocco, 4-6-0....that's what watching Scotland for 40+years can do to you....🤪

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It would've been nice to get roverboy's opinion. Unfortunately, he was bullied off the board.

(Trust me, if roverboy was really me, I'd never leave as easily as he has. Out of sheer spite)

You forgot the password?

8 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Depends which way I shave in the morning - if I face one way I'm thinking Jordan, Lorimer, McFadden. If I face the other way I'm thinking Iran, Costa Rica, Morocco, 4-6-0....that's what watching Scotland for 40+years can do to you....🤪

Alot of us in the same boat. I'm dreaming of last minute winners by dykes at Wembley and then I think kane scores 3 against us and we get humiliated but I wouldn't change those feelings for anything. My passion has been reignited 

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Alot of us in the same boat. I'm dreaming of last minute winners by dykes at Wembley and then I think kane scores 3 against us and we get humiliated but I wouldn't change those feelings for anything. My passion has been reignited 

Same as mines va. Haven't felt it for a long time. Was with my pal yesterday and he feels the same. My way of thinking is that we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. In the past we went in to tournaments expecting to beat the Diddy teams. See where that got us. So. Looking forward to it. If we beat England I am coming down to see u. Up to a Aberdeen to see dd and then over to Canada to see big stuff. He'll, may as well go to  the windy city to see ormolu and take my birth certificate passport etc. That would round off a good week!!! But seriously I believe in Clarke and I think he will have a no fear attitude and the players will as well.

13 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Well, it maybe doesn't count for the men's side of things but the women went out of the world cup due to a VAR decision in 2019.

Alexander saved a penalty in the 4th minute of injury time but VAR called it back to be re-taken and Argentina scored and we went out.

Shouldn't have got to that stage with being 3 up with 15 mins to go but there you go 🤣

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

All of that means they probably won’t be lifting the trophy but it doesn’t mean we’ll win at Wembley unfortunately. If we play at our best we have a chance but if we beat the Czechs I’d happily take a draw at Wembley right now. Depending on how the game goes of course. If we ragdoll them like we did in 1999 and only come away with a draw I’ll be bitterly disappointed but if we are under pressure for long spells and take a point then it could be a very valuable one. 

We should get a better idea of our chances at Wembley after Sunday/Monday. If England struggle against Croatia and we get a morale boosting win on Monday all bets are off for Wembley. 

I've gone from expecting a horsing to expecting something more along the lines of 96.  Finger in the air stuff but in my mind would put us 10% chance of winning; 20% drawing; 50% losing tightly and; 20% of getting battered.  

Winning the first game would be massive for us and if England draw it could work to our benefit.  If they lose the first game then would imagine they'll be like a wounded animal and wouldn't fancy that.  

One thing I would say though is their media is for the turning and things could get ugly quickly!  

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is the strongest side the Czechs could put out so they will be hoping for a comfortable win tonight with no injuries.

I have only caught the last 20 minutes but they don’t look anything to be scared of. 

Guest Scot1

Soucek is a good player, the Czechs have been sloppy in front of goal. Albania have got into some nice positions only to put in a poor cross to near to the Czech keeper.

Depending on the formation we play, if it’s 3-4-2-1, I’d like to see McGinn sitting on Soucek when we are out of possession.

Guest Scot1

The Czechs are there for the taking. They are decent playing through the middle but their fullbacks don’t look particularly good, especially the left back. I can see Tierney and Robertson causing them all kinds of trouble down their right and if played, Patterson would run their left back ragged. 
They play with a big centre forward, so I’d like to see Gallagher in the middle of the 3  to deal with him. 
If we press them high up the pitch we can get joy from it. They have a real lack of quality out wide. If we can press them and stay solid in the middle of the park, we will cause them a lot of problems.