An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

On 6/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

You do realise how bookmakers' work? They are in the business purely for your money. The odds are based first on form and odds adjust depending on the amount of money placed on teams. The more money bet on them the shorter the odds get as the bookmakers want to lose as little money as possible. They do not sit there and say 'Ooooh England. Ooooh lets make them favourites purely because we want them to win'. Bookmakers have been in business (some of them) for hundreds of years by logically thinking out odds.

Indeed, Lester Piggot could have been riding a three legged blind donkey in the derby but it would still have been among the favourites. Not that England are three legged blind donkeys. 😃😃

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Further evidence you are at it. I reckon you are trying to redeem your shattered reputation here by trying to appeal to people with an anti-English stance.

And you are living on a different planet saying they could easily have lost to Romania. England won 1-0, hit the post twice and had another penalty saved. They had more shots on goal than Romania. They had more shots on target than Romania. They had greater share of possession. They had better past success than Romania and more corners than Romania. Yet in your deluded world they could easily have lost. You are one seriously deluded individual. 

Did you watch the England vs Romania match? Sam Johnstone made a world class save to keep the lead and Romania had a couple chances that top strikers would not miss.

I'm not trying to "appeal" to anyone. What a strange thing to say. You seem to under the impression that I want replies. Why? Because some people here are so contrary that they'd dispute the colour of orange juice 

Each keeper had 5 saves, Caledonian Craig Levein.

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Watched that Belgium-Croatia game. Anyone thinking Modric is past his best is deluded. He was fantastic. In fact he reminded me of Gilmour! Craig is right - our best chance is to press them high; their weakest department is up front with no Mandzucic these days.

Perisic, Rebic, Modric and Kovovic are all top players. I have a feeling they'll beat England in the first group match.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Did you watch the England vs Romania match? Sam Johnstone made a world class save to keep the lead and Romania had a couple chances that top strikers would not miss.

I'm not trying to "appeal" to anyone. What a strange thing to say. You seem to under the impression that I want replies. Why? Because some people here are so contrary that they'd dispute the colour of orange juice 

Each keeper had 5 saves, Caledonian Craig Levein.

Oh is that one of the England goalkeepers you said were all crap? Blown out son. 

The fact you are actually trying to argue that England were lucky to win says a heck of a lot. I'd say it is much like and England fan coming on here and trying to claim Scotland were lucky to win against Luxembourg.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh is that one of the England goalkeepers you said were all crap? Blown out son. 

The fact you are actually trying to argue that England were lucky to win says a heck of a lot. I'd say it is much like and England fan coming on here and trying to claim Scotland were lucky to win against Luxembourg.

Many here have said Marshall is crap and yet he had a huge hand getting us to the Euros.

Yeah. Ok. Fine. You didn't watch the whole match, clearly. 

Prediction. This will be Southgate's last tournament and he'll join his old club Crystal Palace. 

32 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Many here have said Marshall is crap and yet he had a huge hand getting us to the Euros.

Yeah. Ok. Fine. You didn't watch the whole match, clearly. 

Prediction. This will be Southgate's last tournament and he'll join his old club Crystal Palace. 

You watched the whole England match? It was on at the same time as our game. You need to get out more. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Never heard of TiVo?

Yes but I wouldn’t give Branson my money. I prefer to give mine to Rupert Murdoch.

I certainly wouldn’t record an England friendly to watch an England team I think is very poor and watch the whole match. I’ve got better things to do with my time. Like rearrange my sock drawer. 

To each his own though as they say. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes but I wouldn’t give Branson my money. I prefer to give mine to Rupert Murdoch.

I certainly wouldn’t record an England friendly to watch an England team I think is very poor and watch the whole match. I’ve got better things to do with my time. Like rearrange my sock drawer. 

To each his own though as they say. 

Do you even know what the title of this thread is? I was "keeping at eye on our Euro 2020 rivals".

Apparently, you'd rather talk about our Euro 2020 rivals than watch them then.

And the "get out more" thing. Do you go one day without telling people what to do? Do you know how insulting and belittling that would sound to someone who suffers from several social anxiety or someone with mental disorders which stop them from "getting out more".

Not that I'm afflicted with the aforementioned. 

You should think before you type.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

And yet you think we’ll draw with Croatia? 

Do you exist on here solely to reflect me?

Yes. I think we'll beat England and Draw against Croatia. 

Do you want me to give you my entire prediction list? I don't have one, but if you ask nicely...

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Do you even know what the title of this thread is? I was "keeping at eye on our Euro 2020 rivals".

Apparently, you'd rather talk about our Euro 2020 rivals than watch them then.

And the "get out more" thing. Do you go one day without telling people what to do? Do you know how insulting and belittling that would sound to someone who suffers from several social anxiety or someone with mental disorders which stop them from "getting out more".

Not that I'm afflicted with the aforementioned. 

You should think before you type.

Get a life ffs. You’re certainly afflicted with something. 

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Do you exist on here solely to reflect me?

Yes. I think we'll beat England and Draw against Croatia. 

Do you want me to give you my entire prediction list? I don't have one, but if you ask nicely...

Mate, you’re a joke figure on here and you’ve ruined this board. If you are going to post pish to annoy people then I will comment on it from time to time. Don’t like it? I don’t care. 

No thanks. 

Czech Republic are playing Albania tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see how the respond from being beaten up by Italy.

(You can't watch it, though, As Texan Pete will call your whole life into question. Hopefully he'll allow us to watch at least one match at the Euros. He's a joyless sod, so probably not.)

Edited by Taylor1996

We'll do well get something out of England but they're not giving off good vibes for me.  Henderson pinching the peno off Calvert-Lewen then missing whilst Calvert-Lewen just stood there hands on his hips isn't good body language.  

They've got a decent chance of going all the way with a home draw but something just seems off with them.  Playing players not even going in the last two friendlies is bat shit mental and having an obviously unfit Maguire hanging about mustn't be much of a confidence boost to the other centre halves especially when they've just replaced TAA with another option - for me that says Maguire is looking more doubtful than Henderson who has had 45 minutes in a kick about in three months.  

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We'll do well get something out of England but they're not giving off good vibes for me.  Henderson pinching the peno off Calvert-Lewen then missing whilst Calvert-Lewen just stood there hands on his hips isn't good body language.  

They've got a decent chance of going all the way with a home draw but something just seems off with them.  Playing players not even going in the last two friendlies is bat shit mental and having an obviously unfit Maguire hanging about mustn't be much of a confidence boost to the other centre halves especially when they've just replaced TAA with another option - for me that says Maguire is looking more doubtful than Henderson who has had 45 minutes in a kick about in three months.  

All of that means they probably won’t be lifting the trophy but it doesn’t mean we’ll win at Wembley unfortunately. If we play at our best we have a chance but if we beat the Czechs I’d happily take a draw at Wembley right now. Depending on how the game goes of course. If we ragdoll them like we did in 1999 and only come away with a draw I’ll be bitterly disappointed but if we are under pressure for long spells and take a point then it could be a very valuable one. 

We should get a better idea of our chances at Wembley after Sunday/Monday. If England struggle against Croatia and we get a morale boosting win on Monday all bets are off for Wembley. 

41 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

England have got an uncanny knack of qualifying fairly regularly and getting the rub of the green so to under-estimate the task of beating them would be foolish. Grealish has managed to fool the ref into a penalty with a fairly obvious dive which has effectively won them the match against Romania. If we are not more clinical with the chances  we created yesterday - which we are likely to get much less of against England - then it is very likely we may suffer the same fate. Mount, Grealish and Foden are all good, strong dangerous players - Foden tore a right strip of Robertson in a recent City-Liverpool game and got a cracking goal from it; Grealish could twist and turn past the likes of Gallagher and Hanley and draw plenty of fouls; etc. We've only been able to beat them once in the last 11 encounters going back to 1986 are still  favourites next Friday. Getting a win against the Czechs is more likely and preferable to reduce the pressure of having to get a result against England.

3 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

England have got an uncanny knack of qualifying fairly regularly and getting the rub of the green so to under-estimate the task of beating them would be foolish. Grealish has managed to fool the ref into a penalty with a fairly obvious dive which has effectively won them the match against Romania. If we are not more clinical with the chances  we created yesterday - which we are likely to get much less of against England - then it is very likely we may suffer the same fate. Mount, Grealish and Foden are all good, strong dangerous players - Foden tore a right strip of Robertson in a recent City-Liverpool game and got a cracking goal from it; Grealish could twist and turn past the likes of Gallagher and Hanley and draw plenty of fouls; etc. We've only been able to beat them once in the last 11 encounters going back to 1986 are still  favourites next Friday. Getting a win against the Czechs is more likely and preferable to reduce the pressure of having to get a result against England.

Only good thing is VAR should stop the ref getting conned so if we give away any penalties at least they should be genuine. 

The 2018 World Cup England got unbelievable luck. The draw opened up for them. They scored 9 out of 12 via set pieces.

It's improbable that they'll score so many set pieces this time.

I feel this time their luck has changed, with so many injuries: Pope, Maguire, Henderson, TAA, Philips, Rashford, Grealish, Saka and Kane either pulling out of playing through the pain. 

And the core of their players are kids: Mount (22), Foden (21), Sancho (21), Bellingham (17), Saka (19), James (21).

I get the impression that people are either ignorant to the aforementioned facts, or they're just being deliberately obtuse for the sake of being argumentative and contrarian. 

Edited by Taylor1996

38 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Only good thing is VAR should stop the ref getting conned so if we give away any penalties at least they should be genuine. 

If you've seen any number of totally ludicrous VAR penalty decisions in the EPL this season and we get a couple of refs like the friendlies that are fooled by Depay falling on his erse and are too feart/stupid to send of Thill for pretty much a GBH assault on Gilmour then you have a lot of faith in a far from foolproof system. VAR is still fairly new and so are it's operators unfortunately..

13 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

If you've seen any number of totally ludicrous VAR penalty decisions in the EPL this season and we get a couple of refs like the friendlies that are fooled by Depay falling on his erse and are too feart/stupid to send of Thill for pretty much a GBH assault on Gilmour then you have a lot of faith in a far from foolproof system. VAR is still fairly new and so are it's operators unfortunately..

True but it seems to work better in European leagues and European competitions. The EPL has taken VAR and made a complete mess of it.