An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Who said they were and had to be?

This England side would never fail to turn over Israel - home or away. Us? Different matter. We struggle badly against them. When was the last time we beat a big nation? Years. Enland do it regularly having beaten Spain I recall last year for a start. 

Scotland fans are getting excited that Hendry may be heading for a move to the EPL. England's central defenders are bedded in in that league whilst we only have Cooper and Tierney. Scotland fans were getting excited about the prospect of a Scot in the Champions League Final (Gilmour) that never came to pass whilst England had several players in it.

They have to be, if they are to live up to their billing as favourites.

Spain? Most recent time England beat Spain was in 2018.

People are talking about England as if they're world beaters and so far ahead of us. It isn't true.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm old enough to go back to the days when beating England was all that seemed to matter to us. I even remember my mum saying, "When is the international?"  (singular)  She meant the England game. Pat Crerand wanted to change that mindset: he said, "Who's England ? I wanna beat Brazil, West Germany and so on.."  I'd hate to think we could go back to that way of thinking; what's the use of beating England if we get pumped by Croatia in the next game? Beating Czechia is much more important. See, if we beat England and lose to the other two, I will consider it the failure of all failures. Fortunately Clarke is just the man to keep our feet on the ground.

All that matters to me is getting out of the group. 

If we beat the Czechs and Croatia but lose heavily to England I will be happy as Larry as we will be through the last 16. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be happy at Wembley, I would be raging, but in the cold light of day after the Croatia game I think we would all be ecstatic if we are in the next round even if we lose at Wembley. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maguire isn’t out yet.

You seem to think that because England aren’t as strong as they used to be that we should get at least a draw against them. Doesn’t work like that as they are still stronger than us. 

England beat Belgium 8 months ago. Kane didn’t even start that game. They also beat a good Wales team 3-0 without Kane and Maguire, albeit in a friendly. 

They have won 23 out of their last 25 competitive games at Wembley. The only two teams to beat them in that time were Spain and a very good Denmark side.

Don’t let these facts get in the way of your fantasy that we should get at least a draw and if we have a go at them we should win though. It’s obviously much more fun for you to be controversial on here rather than realistic. 

I think it's been all but confirmed that Maguire is out of the group matches.

Fantasy? Controversial?

I remember you laughing at the concept of playing with a three at the back against Israel last year. What did you call it? An alien system?

How did that pan out? Looking forward to Euro 2020?

I say what's on my mind. If you think that's controversial then fine. Up to you.

You don't like people having opinions. So everything is controversial to you.

Edited by Taylor1996

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

They have to be, if they are to live up to their billing as favourites.

Spain? Most recent time England beat Spain was in 2018.

People are talking about England as if they're world beaters and so far ahead of us. It isn't true.

They don^t have to be to beat us and that is what we are talking about here. England do not lose against mugs or teams rated way below them at home. And we are way below them. I thank heavens you aren't in charge of Scottish football as you seem to be of the belief we are one of the best teams in Europe. We aren't. We have a long way to go before we get there. We have much work to do and that means not sitting on our laurels and thinking we have made it and will be beating teams of the ilk of England at home.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They don^t have to be to beat us and that is what we are talking about here. England do not lose against mugs or teams rated way below them at home. And we are way below them. I thank heavens you aren't in charge of Scottish football as you seem to be of the belief we are one of the best teams in Europe. We aren't. We have a long way to go before we get there. We have much work to do and that means not sitting on our laurels and thinking we have made it and will be beating teams of the ilk of England at home.

You thank heavens, do you?

Are you one of the many that wanted to stick to a back four, by any chance? One of the many right things that I've called is switch to a three and qualify.

The ilk of England? 

Dear lord. Does anyone here watch anything other than Scottish football? Even a lot of English people were burrowing their brows at White, Coady and Philips. 

lol

Anyway. Enough talk. Let's see what happens, shall we. :)

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I think it's been all but confirmed that Maguire is out of the group matches.

Fantasy? Controversial?

I remember you laughing at the concept of playing with a three at the back against Israel last year. What did you call it? An alien system?

How did that pan out? Looking forward to Euro 2020?

I say what's on my mind. If you think that's controversial then fine. Up to you.

You don't like people having opinions. So everything is controversial to you.

Well you think wrong. Southgate is hopeful Maguire will be fit for their first game but he’s doubtful for that although it is hoped he could play a part in the other two group games. He may miss out altogether but we’ll just need to wait and see. He has not been ruled out of anything yet.

You’ve still got a bee in your bonnet about our system? 

I am fairly sure we could have got draws with Israel and Serbia with a back 4. Players are far more important than formations. Our formations also had no say in the penalty shoot outs we won. What formation did we largely use to get to those playoffs again? 

You are entitled to your opinion but your opinion on England is bizarre to say the least (in my humble opinion of course). Don’t get me wrong, I genuinely hope you are right but you don’t appear to have a grasp on how good England are at home. 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No wonder you get flack on here.

You get backed into a corner and you start getting personal. 

I have given you several reasons why England are streets ahead of us which you cannot answer as have others. 

I have given you several reasons why England are overrated. And yet you are just ignoring it.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well you think wrong. Southgate is hopeful Maguire will be fit for their first game but he’s doubtful for that although it is hoped he could play a part in the other two group games. He may miss out altogether but we’ll just need to wait and see. He has not been ruled out of anything yet.

You’ve still got a bee in your bonnet about our system? 

I am fairly sure we could have got draws with Israel and Serbia with a back 4. Players are far more important than formations. Our formations also had no say in the penalty shoot outs we won. What formation did we largely use to get to those playoffs again? 

You are entitled to your opinion but your opinion on England is bizarre to say the least (in my humble opinion of course). Don’t get me wrong, I genuinely hope you are right but you don’t appear to have a grasp on how good England are at home. 

Maguire is out.

Nope. Just 9 months ago you said that playing 3 at the back was "baffling". You don't remember?

Do you really want me to paste the numbers of 3 at the back vs 4 over the past 22 years? Please say yes!

We'll see. :)

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Maguire is out.

Nope. Just 9 months ago you said that playing 3 at the back was "baffling". You don't remember?

Do you really want me to paste the numbers of 3 at the back vs 4 over the past 22 years? Please say yes!

We'll see. :)

He hasn’t been ruled out yet. I’m sure you know better than Southgate and the English medical team though. 

I’m not going to enter into a debate on formations with you again. You are like a child. 

Feel free to paste what you like but good luck doing so without confirming you are the Dark Knight and risking yet another ban. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He hasn’t been ruled out yet. I’m sure you know better than Southgate and the English medical team though. 

I’m not going to enter into a debate on formations with you again. You are like a child. 

Feel free to paste what you like but good luck doing so without confirming you are the Dark Knight and risking yet another ban. 

Why is that your go-to response?

Someone says that x player is better than y player, you reply with "I'm sure you're more qualified than the manager".

Again, you have a weird thing with opinions. You don't think people should have any.

Sure thing. You'll see that the numbers stack up and are very conclusive:

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13218-scott-mctominay/&do=findComment&comment=628186

On 6/4/2021 at 11:33 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Tonight sees the Czech Republic travel to Italy for their final warm-up match before facing us in their Euro 2020 opener. 

They play Albania on Tuesday, just discussing it on Sportsound...

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Why is that your go-to response?

Someone says that x player is better than y player, you reply with "I'm sure you're more qualified than the manager".

Again, you have a weird thing with opinions. You don't think people should have any.

Sure thing. You'll see that the numbers stack up and are very conclusive:

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13218-scott-mctominay/&do=findComment&comment=628186

Maybe because you keep acting like a child and claiming you know better than football managers and medical staff? 

If you were gracious enough to state something like  “I really don’t think Maguire will make it as his injury looks a bad one” instead of “Maguire is out” as if it’s some sort of fact then maybe your opinions would be respected more?

Anyway, I’m not wasting any more time on you today. Enjoy your weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah right. A bit close to their first match against us for my liking but that is their choice. Leaves them six days before they play us.

I'm actually glad they're not going straight into playing us after a hammering with a point to prove.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm actually glad they're not going straight into playing us after a hammering with a point to prove.

Yes and we'd be wise not to read too much into that result to gauge the Czechs anyway. Two of Italy's goals were deflected shots and the Czechs only had about half of their regular first team starters in the side at the start.

Craig Levein delivers shock Euro 2020 prediction as former Scotland boss tips rivals England for glory

Yikes. 

I feel even more confident that England will flop.

“I’ve just got a funny feeling that France aren’t at their best."

Good think he doesnt post here, otherwise his opinions would be dismissed as "controversial".

For the record, England will most probably lose in the 2nd round as they could face Portugal, France or Germany if England win the group.

Edited by Taylor1996

52 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Craig Levein delivers shock Euro 2020 prediction as former Scotland boss tips rivals England for glory

Yikes. 

Good think he doesnt post here, otherwise his opinions would be dismissed as "controversial".

For the record, England will most probably lose in the 2nd round as they could face Portugal, France or Germany if England win the group.

Perhaps its best if we go easy on England and let them win the group then.....

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yikes. 

DViHHYkWsAAC0mR.jpg

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and we'd be wise not to read too much into that result to gauge the Czechs anyway. Two of Italy's goals were deflected shots and the Czechs only had about half of their regular first team starters in the side at the start.

I'm going to ignore this advice and just flat out say it. We are dominating this absolute shower :)

2-0 Scotland in the opening match. Which, inflated at the rate of pints to be consumed prior to the Euros actually kicking off means my prediction on match day will actually settle at 11-0 Scotland. 

What a time to be alive.

2 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I'm going to ignore this advice and just flat out say it. We are dominating this absolute shower :)

2-0 Scotland in the opening match. Which, inflated at the rate of pints to be consumed prior to the Euros actually kicking off means my prediction on match day will actually settle at 11-0 Scotland. 

What a time to be alive.

That's what I want to hear.

Apparently, some people here think this England team has been cloned from the class of 66. 😛

The doubters should take a refresher course by watching the 96 encounter. That England team would tear the current one apart and yet we bossed that match. Same in 99.

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's what I want to hear.

Apparently, some people here think this England team has been cloned from the class of 66. 😛

The doubters should take a refresher course by watching the 96 encounter. That England team would tear the current one apart and yet we bossed that match. Same in 99.

Despite the fact they came 4th in 2018, they really did overachieve in that tournament. They are a far cry from their contemporary golden generation circa 2004. Peak Owen and Rooney are better than Kane is now. 

I don't quite share your levels of optimisim but I certainly don't fear a skin flaying the way others do.